Rush

Perks

I do have to agree with all the above. 2010 was VERY reliable for Rush, but, unfortunately, Swing B was not performing for most of the season. Swing A was fine.Ricky, highly doubt it has much to do with the compressors, they simple squash the air, the PLC won't begin a cycle if the ride doesn't have enough pressure. I suspect it's the new pistons, or something to do with the electronic control system. Swing B outperforms swing A, so the PLC doesn't deliver it as much of a push after the first full height swing, to Swing B, to somewhat equalise the motion. This leaves Swing B with a 3 poor full height swings, but Swing A does pretty well throughout.Still love Rush, Stealth is getting to a point of being better though. Shame, because Rush really was excellent in 2007/2008.

• 2 months later...

I've had a quick look but I'm in a rush (no pun intended) so have decided to just put it here.One of the very few things I HATED at Thorpe on Wednesday was that even though the park was dead, staff were stood outside the entrances of the few rides which did have queue's such as Rush, trying to sell fast track's to anyone entering the queue. And in Rush's case, the women was actually stood in front of the entrance blocking it off, at first I thought it had broken down but the ride was in motion. I personally think that this practice is disgusting and was really disappointed to see it especially when the queue is even advertised as just 20 minutes.

:P Don't worry Trippy, you are correct that is smoke, but not to worry. It is what is released out of the pressure release valves once the cables have been pulled to make the swing move, it does this for every swing etc... It is just the compressed air having some sort of particles in it (and yes it does smell metallic). It always makes me laugh when people in the queue are going 'oh my god, there is smoke coming out of that tower, :D look!' Slammer does it too, the pipes around the central booms sometimes have little leaks of air where you can see it looks like a vapour. S&S's air launched coasters release it too. If you look next time you visit, you will realise both towers release it on Rush.

• 2 weeks later...

:( Don't worry Trippy, you are correct that is smoke, but not to worry. It is what is released out of the pressure release valves once the cables have been pulled to make the swing move, it does this for every swing etc... It is just the compressed air having some sort of particles in it (and yes it does smell metallic). It always makes me laugh when people in the queue are going 'oh my god, there is smoke coming out of that tower, :o look!' Slammer does it too, the pipes around the central booms sometimes have little leaks of air where you can see it looks like a vapour. S&S's air launched coasters release it too. If you look next time you visit, you will realise both towers release it on Rush.

Thanks :P I understand it now put me at rest :P Edited by IanNem
correction of know

• 2 months later...

Rush was one of the rides that I rode for the first time earlier today, the other being Vortex. It had been appealing to me more and more on recent trips so I thought... Why not, what's the worst that can happen. I loved it, I was really impressed with it, it is a nice almost relaxing ride like playing on the swings in the park when you are a little kid. I really, really enjoyed it and can't understand why so many people scream on it. It was so good that I rode it again about 5 minutes later. Why did I wait almost 7 whole seasons to ride it! :(

• 3 weeks later...

I've always found Rush very tame compared to Vortex, Slammer and even Detonator, but they're extreme thrills for different reasons. I must admit though, what Rush lacks in intensity it certainly makes up for in it's thrilling ride experience. It really is quite the hoot. And for that reason I love it; it's a brilliant ride if you're in a big group.

The rounded nothing to hold on to restraints make this ride for me, would be so much less thrilling if there were handles to grip. Love the forces as it pushes you forward, and that it takes you just high enough to feel like your going over backwards. Why can't they get them swinging in synch though?

All kinds of reasons. Different weights at the ends of the swings, wind direction and force; things like that.

Because Swing A is broken, and has been for years, is the correct answer. Weight and wind have little impact. It's to do with the piston rings allowing air pressure to escape. :blush:

Only one swing today, but Swing B was absolutely flying. Best ride I have had in ages, really pushed 100 degrees.

This is how both swings should perform. Essentially, swing A slacks, so in an effort to keep the ride in synchronisation, the PLC (ride computer) slows swing B, thus the reason for powerful swings until the first full height swing, then, a worse ride from there on. Alone, swing B is excellent.

Because Swing A is broken, and has been for years, is the correct answer. Weight and wind have little impact. It's to do with the piston rings allowing air pressure to escape. :blush:

I had no idea about this; very interesting. I presume the reason they haven't fixed this is because it would be an expensive replacement? Or have Thorpe just deemed the ride good enough as it is?

I guess that is the price you pay when you invest in a prototype. The reason they built Rush was because Thorpe wanted a new ride, S&S wanted to test and make improvements for the complete and future version of the ride and for that reason, S&S probably cut the price of Rush considerably.I agree with Sidders that I think the other versions of the ride don't look as good; I think it is the thickness of the frame that makes it look far more imposing.