Games console or mobile gaming?

RideAddict

Games console or mobile gaming?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to play games on a games console or mobile device?

• Games console
    • Mobile device (phone, tablet)
    • I enjoy both
    • I don't have a preference
    • Other (state reason in post)

Lately, there is a lot of news flying about how mobile gaming will become more popular in the future. It's already popular today, and there's definitely a future market for it. Some prefer games consoles, whereas some prefer mobile gaming on phones or tablets.

Which do you prefer?

Lately I am more into more mobile gaming, I'm a big Diamond Dash addict and play every day on my phone, iPad or online. :P I've always enjoyed games consoles but not to the extreme. My mint-condition PS2 only gathers dust these days, and I should really trade it in.

This is a very interesting question. For me personally you can't beat playing games on a home console, I'll always remember waking up on a Sunday morning as a kid and playing a bit of Mario 64 and Pokemon Snap, then persuading my dad to let me play Goldeneye on the N64. It's memories like that that'll stick with you forever. Whereas mobile gaming is just a quick something to do whilst you're on the tube or the bus for example.

Mobile gaming is evolving rapidly and you do get some great games like Angry Birds, Temple Run and 'The Smiler' (just kidding, it's actually quite a bad game ;) ). Considering a majority of people these days have access to a smart phone or tablet, the market for mobile gaming has increased a lot. I definitely do think there is a strong future for mobile gaming, but for now I just see it as something to do when bored and waiting for something (I wouldn't sit at home and play Temple Run for hours, whereas I'd happily sit all day and play Mario).

I agree with Ryan. I'll game on my iPod when I'm bored or need to pass time. Currently I do game more on my iPod than anything else, but that's only because I don't have a console here with me at uni. I do sometimes game on my laptop though.

When I'm at home I might occasionally go on the PS3, but I'm not really all that big of a gamer. I do still prefer to sit and play on a console than play on my iPod though - it's far more enjoyable.

I'll always remember waking up on a Sunday morning as a kid and playing a bit of Mario 64 and Pokemon Snap, then persuading my dad to let me play Goldeneye on the N64. It's memories like that that'll stick with you forever. Whereas mobile gaming is just a quick something to do whilst you're on the tube or the bus for example.

I think that sums it up for me.

I too was a console gamer when I was young (well, ZX spectrum and Atari ST were as close to a console that existed, then on to the mega drive when they got round to inventing it) and would happily play involving and time consuming games. As you get older it becomes much harder to play like that so quick throwaway games, like those found on phones, are much more attractive to fit around your life. Other than my phone I sometimes play on my Wii, but again it will be simple games that can be dipped in and out of.

As the gaming population ages I can easily see mobile becoming bigger than console, it just fits life better.

I had a Sega Megadrive when I was young, as mentioned I now have a PS2 and own 4 games for it; Sonic Mega Collection, Need For Speed Carbon, The Getaway and AirBlade. All very simple games and addictive.

As for mobile gaming, I enjoy Diamond Dash and Bubble Island via Facebook, also as apps on the iPad and phone. Bubble Island isn't on the phone. There is a 3rd game I play through Facebook called Superball, and I have been stuck on level 30 for about 10 months now and just cannot progress. I am in 2 minds whether to start the game over just to progress, as I just cannot get the required score whatever I do.