Diet & Exercise

AJ

A day late on the update from me!

Was very surprised about my results this week. Was expecting to gain a little due to the Indian Takeaway I had, the meal at Chessington and some nights outs but I still managed to lose 2.8 pounds which has given me a 12.8 pound loss in 3 weeks :o.

This means I only have just under half a stone to go to get to my target weight of 12 and a half stone, and I still have another 9 weeks on the diet :D. Next week I also have my measure in as well so I'll be able to see if I have lost any fat percentage whilst doing this which is the main thing at the end of the day. Depending on next weeks results (which I think will be bad after the amount I have eaten this weekend) then I might start raising my calorie intake again gradually to get my metabolism back to normal.

I used to be a waist size 34 a year ago but during A Level study leave stress I stopped snacking and quickly dropped to a 30 or more of a 29. A recent weighing shows I'm 63kg.

It's weird because I've always been bigger and now I'm not. I honestly eat the same stuff (50 Chicken McNugget challenge from McDonald's 5 days ago?!) but the weight has so far stayed off!

Good luck on your diets, it seems to be going well! :)

I used to be a waist size 34 a year ago but during A Level study leave stress I stopped snacking and quickly dropped to a 30 or more of a 29. A recent weighing shows I'm 63kg.

It's weird because I've always been bigger and now I'm not. I honestly eat the same stuff (50 Chicken McNugget challenge from McDonald's 5 days ago?!) but the weight has so far stayed off!

Good luck on your diets, it seems to be going well! :)

I remember the days when I could eat what I wanted and not need to balance myself afterwards - damn metabolism slowing down as I age!

So I am 1/3 through this diet and this week I'm actually shocked with the results (In a good way) as I lost another 4 pounds which brings my total weight loss to 1 stone 2.8 pounds in just 4 weeks :o My BMI has gone from 25 to 22.7 so just 0.2 away from ideal.

As it is also a month since I've started this week was also my measuring day so here come the comparisons.

Weight: 13 Stone 12.6 Pounds down to 12 Stone 8.8 Pounds

Wrist: 7 Inches stayed at 7 Inches (No fat there)

Forearm: 11.1 Inches down to 10.9 Inches (Glad that didn't get smaller)

Hips: 38.8 Inches down to 37 Inches

Waist: 39 Inches down to 35.6 Inches

Body Fat 18.5% down to 14.5% (Overall out of the 16.8 pounds lost 10.4 pounds of that was from fat)

So yes according I'm only 1/3 through the diet and I'm now only 1.8 pounds away from my target weight, I can say I'm chuffed. Found another fat calculator which is more accurate I have found which increases my body fat percentage but as I started off with this calculator for you I will keep at it. The difference with the other one is that it just tells you if your in the acceptable range, in the fit range or athletic range.

The result of this is that before I started my diet I was 26.45% body fat (51 pounds of fat), which would of made me obese in terms of fat but now I am an acceptable 21.96% (39 pounds of fat) So that means 12 pounds of fat is lost and I'm in the acceptable range between 18-25%.

Increasing calories by another 100 this week so I'm now on 1900 a day and once I've lost my last couple of pounds I will be continuing the diet but concentrating on decreasing the fat levels to get to the fitness range of 14-17% (Athlete of 6-13% is a bit extreme coming from the obese category - another time perhaps).

So yes all is good :D

Are you exercising properly because my uncle did that diet but he didn't excersize and after he finished the weight literally flooded back on. Peaj you have got to make sure you exercise during and after for preferable an hour a day otherwise with the diet you have done the fat will come back to bite on the bum LITERALLY!!

EDIT by Tommy. Reason: Spelling spelling spelling

Don't rely on the BMI too much. It's a pretty rubbish thing to measure yourself against, as it only measures based on averages. In other words, if there is anything about you that isn't average (could be anything really) then the BMI could say you are wildly overweight or underweight, when in fact you are perfectly healthy.

BMI just takes height and weight - it doesn't measure fat content, muscle mass, anything like that at all! So you could be packed full of muscle, and as muscle weighs more than fat the BMI could potentially tell you you're overweight, when that isn't the case at all.

So just take it with a pinch of salt! Although you are focusing on your actual fat percentage too, rather than just your BMI, which is good :)

Yeah smidget as the bmi is not the most reliable tool hence why I'm concentrating on fat percentage too, by using a combination of health calculators that's what gives the best results.

EC! Every week through this diet I have been increasing my intake week on week - exercise a little bit yes but not enough. The reason though why people put weight back on after a diet is that they starve their body of food so that the body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down. Some people after finishing their diet go back to how they were eating so the body keeps stores it as it still thinks your in starvation mode. To keep it off you need to gradually increase your intake again week on week so your body gets used to it and resumes to a normal metabolism again. After that its making sure you stay eating moderately to keep it off.

And exercise doesn't have to be putting on a tracksuit and going for a run/weights/swim etc. The best exercise is just being active in your life in general, just doing things, walking places, exerting yourself. It doesn't need a timeslot and to be a chore, the amount of people who drive to a gym makes my head hurt.

Yeah smidget as the bmi is not the most reliable tool hence why I'm concentrating on fat percentage too, by using a combination of health calculators that's what gives the best results.

EC! Every week through this diet I have been increasing my intake week on week - exercise a little bit yes but not enough. The reason though why people put weight back on after a diet is that they starve their body of food so that the body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down. Some people after finishing their diet go back to how they were eating so the body keeps stores it as it still thinks your in starvation mode. To keep it off you need to gradually increase your intake again week on week so your body gets used to it and resumes to a normal metabolism again. After that its making sure you stay eating moderately to keep it off.

well I say this u might eating moderately to keep it off but the fact ur not exercising enough means u will b skinny, trust me sometimes skinny can be as hated as being fat. Just exercise a tad more u r doing now, trust me u will feel happier with the added exercise as well ;)

And pluk I never said about running or extreme cardio or anything like that but just a nice jog in the park, maybe a few weights but not over exerting one trust me its just balancing your diet with exercise, and if one out weighs the other people have had serious repercussions I mean are you guys eating the five fruits and veg a day and eating enough calcium to maintain bone strength and enough protein for healthy growth?

http://www.laurensfitness.com/2008/07/02/no-equipment-no-excuses-20-exercises-you-can-do-at-home/

I find this site REALLY useful. I didn't bother signing up to the gym this year, but this blog proves that you don't need to go to the gym to keep in shape. I had planned to sign up to the gym in September when the new uni year starts, but now I've booked Florida I need to save as much money as I can (although if I manage to bag myself decent paying summer work then I might still join).

As long as you can find some time in your day to do a few exercises (I get that the exercises on that site are strength workouts, which aren't good for weight loss), then there is no reason you can't keep fit. Hell, even MAKE time to exercise. Working out at home without equipment isn't the most ideal workout, and results will not happen as fast, but they WILL happen eventually. No one likes being flabby ;)

Gardening is also a pretty good way to exercise. It tired me out completely, and it's fairly fun, so it doesn't feel like a workout.

I'll admit I get really lazy about exercising, but with summer (hopefully...) coming up and my holiday to PortAventura in September, I really want to sort my body out. My weight is fine (although the nurse confirmed I've put on 4kg, and I can't for the life of me work out how I've managed it), I just want/need to tone up. Knowing I weigh just under 8.5 stone does make me feel a bit rubbish at the moment as I don't have much tone. If I increase my muscle mass I'm aware that my weight will increase; however I'd be totally fine with that because it will be muscle, not fat :D

EC! I say that I'm not exercising enough but that's for long term plans with my health and fitness. In terms of weight loss I've done enough and yeah some people hate being skinny as well as fat but the size I am currently I am more than happy with. The main aim at the start of this diet was so I could fit in my trousers again without popping the buttons. Getting the summer look is just an extra which yes I would like to have one day but its not my biggest priority ^_^

(I like my drink and takeaways too much for me to ever get the 'perfect' look)

Since I banned chocolate from my diet 2 weeks ago I have lost 3 lb OOH MY CHRIST!! Plus I have got membership for a gym and I got my self a new hobby in the form of Kayaking as there is a white water arena down Cardiff Bay and It hosts the Canoe slalom World Cup so it's a good place to train and buff my self up for the July thorpe meet and my holiday abroad, I'm gonna start cutting out other junk foods soon, and focus on the healthy stuff cos I wanna feel good and stuffing crap in my face isn't doing the trick so yes I will document how it goes :D