Comedy Nights - New for 2013

MarkC

THORPE PARK are certainly coming up with some great events this year in terms of things I like (bar 1). Comedy Club Night has topped it off for me, not that I will be attending as I'm busy that weekend but if I was free I would be there.

I'm a regular attendee at the comedy club in Leicester Square and love to get to front row ;) and they are always an extremely enjoyable night. I hope to see more comedy events in the future!

Comedy nights are not about the big television stars. They're meant to be cosy, personal feel to them - like a small gathering and some of these comedians on the circuit can often be better than they're commercial counterparts. They have 3 comedians, the dome will be small enough to make it really interactive. They don't need big names

And for me it would be Jimmy Carr.

I should think all these people would want considerably more money than Thorpe would want to pay them though, unless they wanted to use it to try out new material for a warm up before a proper tour. I go to one of Carrs pre tour warm ups he does near me each year and it is always an excellent night.

Peaj is right though, there's a hell of a lot of 'unknown' people on the circuit who will fill the bill well. A friend of mine runs a comedy club and I've seen some amazing acts there and it can be hard to understand why they aren't known (but then a few years later sometimes they are!).

I bet big name stars will always come with large figures for one performance (5 figure salaries for just one night in some cases I bet...), and normally you want a large, sell out crowd in a huge theatre for those sort of comedians to be worth the cost. Also, the cost per ticket would shoot up as well.

I haven't heard of any of those comedians, but most people in showbiz has had that 'lucky break', and these sort of nights will help some lesser known comedians get them, hopefully. I'd much rather see the money invested in other events, such as Fright Nights or Sun Scream, or to their other big evening events, liek Ride and Rave (or whatever it will be called this year).

Quite similar to the rock bands Thorpe had for Swarm opening. They had quite a few smaller bands that nobody had heard of. But one of the bands 'Attention Thieves', have gone on to perform at Reading festival, supported Enter Shikari on tour and have featured in Kerrang's top 10 bands to look out for in 2013 since their small gig at Thorpe!

• 2 weeks later...

Quite similar to the rock bands Thorpe had for Swarm opening. They had quite a few smaller bands that nobody had heard of. But one of the bands 'Attention Thieves', have gone on to perform at Reading festival, supported Enter Shikari on tour and have featured in Kerrang's top 10 bands to look out for in 2013 since their small gig at Thorpe!

The bands playing at THE SWARM last year kinda sucked. I mean, you can hear them from THE STATION, which blocks out the ambience playing, and ruins the atmosphere completely!

"The End is Coming! Let's play loud, tuneless music to 'lighten up' the mood for those willing to take on Thorpe Park's newest coaster!"

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, this may seem like an odd first post but recently I won some free tickets to go the comedy night that is happening tonight (I think you also get a free hour of ride time on The Swarm too) but I live far enough away that I can't really make it there on such short notice so I was wondering if anyone on here would like to claim them instead?

All you have to do is go to Annual Pass building and say my twitter handle and you'll get them so if anyone is interested I'll send them a PM so they can use them instead of them going to waste and it seems this community would probably appreciate them the most. (I've been a long time lurker of the forums but I never thought to register since though I enjoy the park I can't say I'm very knowledgeable of them as most seem to be on here)

Edit) Ryan claimed them, glad that they've got used.

How very generous of you, nice one.

(I've been a long time lurker of the forums but I never thought to register since though I enjoy the park I can't say I'm very knowledgeable of them as most seem to be on here)

Most of us are quite clueless really! It's opinion that matters, not knowledge, would be great to have you stick around and share yours.

How very generous of you, nice one.

Most of us are quite clueless really! It's opinion that matters, not knowledge, would be great to have you stick around and share yours.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll stick around, seems like a friendly community here and it's always interesting to hear other people's experiences on the available parks out there.

Went to this tonight and it was really good for a cheap (if you bought ticket then £5, free for me) event! Would definitely go to a future comedy night if they did them, which I'm sure they will as this went down well with the people there!