Rebranding Thorpe

pluk

Rumours abound of a substantial rebranding of Thorpe, that in some ways has already started. As noted by 'T' on ToweersStreet - where are all the fatheads? They have vanished from the website, and this is supposed to be the start of a change of direction in who they are appealing to.

Would seem Thorpe have suddenly realised that trying to appeal almost exclusively to a group of people with nearly no money might not be the best decision financially. So what would you like to see them do with the design and direction of the park. Could it see the return or installation of more family type attractions? How do you appeal to a wider market with what is already on offer? How do you market as a premium / family destination when your hotel is made out of tin instead of brick?

Could be interesting times ahead.

Didnt notice the fat heads had gone actually but yeah there no where to be seen!

I think with the Crash Pad and then X being rethemed and alot of effort going into making it a half decent ride (especially for the younger ones) its clear that the park are looking to appeal to the whole family, and I suspect this will continue as the parks looks to become a Resort to.

Overall I quite like the "branding" what the park use, the fonts / colours / graphics etc, I think they all look quite funky and fun and could easily be used on park when trying to appeal to all ages.

One thing I would like to see is the the return of themed areas, things like The Swarm are great, but id like to see areas like that expanded in the future, and current areas neatened up. Its good theyve bought back area music such as in Lost City, all seems to be steps in the right direction.

Interesting point, pluk.

I've noticed this a little through their Facebook updates - just a few days ago they posted this review of the Park from "Mummy Barrow": http://www.mummybarrow.com/thorpe-park-a-review/

Note: "We were guests of Thorpe Park and received complimentary tickets in exchange for a review." - Thorpe clearly wanting to garner blog-based advertising for those with families.

Again, a few days earlier, the Thorpe Facebook linked to a blog review from "Northern Mum": http://www.northernmum.com/2013/05/the-exact-moment-I-turned-middle-aged-at-thorpe-park/

They're pushing their events with a family slant, too - a recent cover photo advertising their roller skating events:

969908_10151634659075867_1037532231_n.jp

Can only be a good thing IMO - both for the atmosphere in the Park and for Merlin's bottom line!

It would be great to see the park change its target audience to suit families as well as thrill seekers. They've been very keen on the 'Up for it families' statement this year and like Marc said with the great change of X into a brilliant family coaster it definitely seems to be changing this way. The park has a brilliant range of thrill rides and coasters to last them a while so a few years focused on families wouldn't go a miss. Maybe a rebrand of Ranger County with the addition of a good family ride on the old Miss Hippos site. The return of the train would also be great! Do a bit of work to Rumba Rapids as well and you've got a good set of family rides, not amazing but good. It would also be great if a family woodie was built as the next large coaster then, something with the speed and thrills of Wodan but the low height restriction of 1.2 metres. Good times ahead (possibly).

It does seem strange that this change seems to be happening mid-season as many thought a re-brand would occur over the closed season just gone. Maybe they've realised it needs to be done and very swiftly (another struggling season so far?)

Would be nice to see a sensible map as well, and I'd love to see the ride logos return by the rides on it instead of the name in CAPITALS! But that may be too much too ask for ;)

It would be great to see the park change its target audience to suit families as well as thrill seekers. They've been very keen on the 'Up for it families' statement this year and like Marc said with the great change of X into a brilliant family coaster it definitely seems to be changing this way. The park has a brilliant range of thrill rides and coasters to last them a while so a few years focused on families wouldn't go a miss. Maybe a rebrand of Ranger County with the addition of a good family ride on the old Miss Hippos site. The return of the train would also be great! Do a bit of work to Rumba Rapids as well and you've got a good set of family rides, not amazing but good. It would also be great if a family woodie was built as the next large coaster then, something with the speed and thrills of Wodan but the low height restriction of 1.2 metres. Good times ahead (possibly).

It does seem strange that this change seems to be happening mid-season as many thought a re-brand would occur over the closed season just gone. Maybe they've realised it needs to be done and very swiftly (another struggling season so far?)

Would be nice to see a sensible map as well, and I'd love to see the ride logos return by the rides on it instead of the name in CAPITALS! But that may be too much too ask for ;)

- I wouldn't call X a brilliant family coaster... Sure they polished a turd, but it's still a pretty crap coaster for all intents and purposes in comparison to a fair few family coasters which wipe the floor with it...

- Wodan already has a 1.2m restriction, most wooden coasters do... A low restriction would be allowing 1m tall onto them...

- I was sick of the capitals about 2 minutes after they insisted on doing it constantly, I'll be glad to see them gone...

While I encourage the whole family audience thing but remember isn't this what Chessington tried doing and look at the place now.......its not exactly amazing or for thrill seekers IMO. IF this rebrand does go fully ahead could we see another Chessington emerge from Merlin. Also when you think about it if Merlin turned Thorpe into another Chessington it would put the spotlight on Alton making more money there? Could this be another reason for the rebrand or am I just being a bit worried.

So maybe Merlin realise they shouldn't have completely different audiences for the two Southern parks? Adding a few more thrill rides to Chessington and some extra family rides to Thorpe would mean they complement each other well and people travelling further would be more likely to visit both in one trip. It would also allow scope for ticket deals to be offered for one day at Thorpe and one day at Chessington.

In my opinion this would be much better than the way they currently run the parks, but a lot of marketing would be required to change both Thorpe's and Chessington's image.

Aren't a couple of the fatheads still on the back of this year's gate map? Might be wrong, just seem to remember a couple there? Either way, they are pretty much gone.

It's good to see Thorpe are heading towards a more family oreintated market. A larger scope of people for the park means they have more opportunity to make (more) money, which should see more investment (hopefully) - so it's only a good thing really!

However, what I wouldn't want to see Thorpe do is do a complete U-turn. Thorpe should still focus on being a thrill park in my opinion. There aren't many parks which solely focus on thrills, so it's still a gap in the market. But it doesn't mean they can't cater for everyone - a couple of family coasters, family-friendly rides, etc. would be key. I think it would be a shame for the park to revert back to your typical family park. Would also love to see the areas reinstated more clearly.

I'd also love to see things like the MoS nights continue. Though not my cup of tea, they're doing well, so I can't see why they couldn't continue in a 'Thorpe Park Resort', if you will. Just as long as there's other nights for families, it could work. Thorpe just need to experiment a bit more with what the public like and do not like; then it's fine and dandy.

Personally, I think it will be a few years before things slot together perfectly. Until then, Thorpe need to experiment a bit more with out of hours activities and add a few more family-orientated rides before they'll reach what is my ideal scenario for the park.

I think they are going to try and make a park similar to Alton Towers because Alton have many big thrill rides but also lots of family and childrens rides. I think this would work to get more money because at the moment if you want a park for the whole family (thrill seekers and smaller children) then if you live down south the only way is to travel up to Alton Towers because Chessington doesn't have the big thrills. So southerners would travel to THORPE PARK because they don't have to travel far and it would cater for the whole family.

I think Thorpe should still focus on thrill rides but open up their target audience to families.

Next year I would like to see CCR return (who knows) with an enhanced experience, loggers polished up and a new map design as the current one is horrible.

I think Thorpe and Chessie should get a bit more of an even mix thrill and family rides.

Yeah but with all the aim towards families, I would rather see this as a well done theme park catering for all ages of The south and I want them to bring back themed areas for 2014, do something with Time Voyagers, a possible lowering Height Restriction for Vortex, and A spruce up of Loggers leap and maybe a rename of Saw lower that Height restriction. Because Isn't Oakwoods Eurofighter like 1.2 or something , it would be a nice thrilling Coaster for youngsters like Corkscrew was for Towers.

Yeah but with all the aim towards families, I would rather see this as a well done theme park catering for all ages of The south and I want them to bring back themed areas for 2014, do something with Time Voyagers, a possible lowering Height Restriction for Vortex, and A spruce up of Loggers leap and maybe a rename of Saw lower that Height restriction. Because Isn't Oakwoods Eurofighter like 1.2 or something , it would be a nice thrilling Coaster for youngsters like Corkscrew was for Towers.

1.25m actually :P but yes I think it would be good for them to have a mix of both but still, have huge thrills as well.

If I was looking for a 'nice coaster for youngsters', Saw would NOT have been my first idea...

I wouldn't go expecting an enormous change in priority. Sure they might not only install big coasters, but they won't want to lose the 'nation's thrill capital' tag. Can't see this becoming a major thing.

The return of themed areas is a popular one on here!! I agree too!

I like what Thorpe have done with the park, they've got some fantastic rides now and the place is so much better than it was a few years ago. I think they've put a bit too much thought in to being a thrill capital though, forgetting that they are essentially still a 'theme park'.

They've not done themselves any favours recently with the chart music and lack of family rides. 'Thrill capital' or not, it's still a theme park, and themed areas (with proper themed music!) should be essential imo.

I would like to see Canada Creek completely re-done, and extended to include Saw the Ride (rethemed as a saw mill). Logger's Leap would be totally refurbished, Canada Creek Railway would return, and Samurai would be removed to make way for a similar intense flat ride. Saw Alive's area would be ripped out and would become a really nice lakeside Woodcutter's restaraunt (same as Alton's). They could have a great little themed area down there!

Apart from the chart music creeping out in to the park, I actually love Thorpe's current brand :) I actually like that they do the club nights, etc... It's something different. It wouldn't do them any harm to reign it in just a little bit though...

I'd be happy if they kept their brand as it is, but focussed on themed areas and 'up for it families' a bit more.

Right, thought I would contribute to this discussion ;)

Firstly, I think the return of themed areas is a super idea :)

This is a great idea however the themed areas would have to somehow link together. I don't like the theme parks which you go around into different lands however there is no link between them watsoever. This is like thorpe's old lands; meaning that most of the rides in current lands would have to be rethemed. I also don't see what that link could be for thorpe, they are on thorpe lake and their name has no significant theme linked to it. It could be a tricky one especially with the swarm and saw island sitting there. At the moment when going to thorpe park I don't think about the theme of lands as its all a bit jumbled up and doesn't really make sense, however even with themed areas I still think it wouldn't make sense unless they were linked together. Chessington however has the advantage with this, their title is 'world of adventures' and their lands are all linked to different parts of the world. I think that is why chessington's themeing is actually a success. I don't know if thorpe would be able to link all the lands together without making significant changes.

Although changing the themeing is a good idea I don't see why thorpe have themed X to a rave theme if they are planning re-adding the themes to the lands. X is part of the lost city although it is not easy to tell what land it is in however the themeing of X does not link up with the lost city at all. X no way out however kind of linked in. This is why I don't think thorpe are even re-considering making their park like they used to have it with the distinctive lands.

If thorpe do change their target market I just hope they decide to improve their investments. I do not want to see a couple of kiddie rides coming in as a medium/major investment. I go to thorpe park because I love the thrills so I do not want the whole family market taking over like it is at chessington. As well as family and kid rides, they need to add big thrills aswell. I just hope thorpe don't go off adding big thrills if they change their market!

Finally, I would say that lowering height restrictions is an idea that could be considered but it is not likely to happen! The height restrictions have been put in for H&S reasons so why would they be lowered at all? Even though other rides the same as the ones at thorpe park may have lower height restrictions, I doubt they would be lowered.

This is also a concern of mine, it's all well and good them adding in a few family rides here and there to make the park suitable for families as well but I hope they don't do a chessie complete u-turn from the thrill market to the family market, look what that did for them...

This is also a concern of mine, it's all well and good them adding in a few family rides here and there to make the park suitable for families as well but I hope they don't do a chessie complete u-turn from the thrill market to the family market, look what that did for them...

Not a fair comparison, Chessie went from family market to kids market... And was then ignored for the younger fresher (easier to build new rides onto) face of Thorpe...

Chessie's lack of adding anything worthwhile also affected them...

I can't see them changing their brand too much after all they've put in to it. I can see them becoming a little more like Alton Towers, which can only be a good thing.

I like their brand at the minute, but we all have to admit that over the last 3 or so years Thorpe's branding was clearly being pushed by old men in suits, trying desperately to be 'cool' and 'dwn wiv da kidz lolz'. Me and my friends are basically the definition of Thorpe's target market, but some of what they do makes us (or me anyway) cringe. a lot of it is very tacky, and it doesn't appeal to us at all.

Why do they have to pinpoint an exact market? I think Thorpe really is our best chance at a true well rounded resort.

The Towers try and try but the locals and restrictions just keep knocking them back. Could you imagine them trying to open up a 3am nightclub at the Towers? It'd be denied instantly.

I'm not denying that they'd nailed the "Family theme park" part, but their entertainment out of hours is abysmal, and there's little else outside the park itself.

There's a lot of blank space at Thorpe that would be perfect for smaller developments. Disney Village-esque areas, entertainment complexes, bars, clubs etc. but before they do that, they really need to establish a family oriented section of the park first.

Alton Towers tries to cater for everyone - younger children, families and thrill seekers, and have a mix of rides to go down well with a whole family of younger children, older children, teenagers and adults, that's the only merlin park in that area... I like how Merlin have Legoland for younger families, Chessington for families in general with a few moderately thrilling rides, and Thorpe Park being aimed at Thrill Seekers (teenagers/adults).

I like how it is and wouldn't wish it to change really, but I understand Thorpe Parks need to open up their target market to appeal in some way to families again, as it never stopped families with older children short of 1.4m, and then feeling the need to complain there isn't enough at Thorpe Park for them! But for Thorpe to attract as many visitors as possible, they need to open up to families to some extent, like with the retheme of X with a lower height restriction, and dare I say it storm surge; they do have other rides which appeal to families too like rapids, log flume, flying fish... but would expect them to add a ride or two more family orientated over the coming years, although they do have things like time voyagers and CCR which they got rid of, but I think that will soon change!

I hope I sort have made my opinion clear haha...

They should all be aimed at families. Lego is families with tiny kids, chessie is families with kids, thorpe should be families with older and thrillseeking kids, and towers should be absolutely bloody everyone.

Just cos thorpe happens to have a fair few coasters and not much else, don't mean it shouldn't attract families!

My family go to theme parks loads (mum, dad and 2 younger sisters at 9 and 15). Years ago we just went to chessington all the time, then when I was tall enough for the big rides we went to Thorpe a couple of times. My other sister got tall enough and we went to Thorpe mostly. Now we're all tall enough for the big rides they rarely go to Chessington and go to Thorpe all the time.

Just shows that believe it or not, families do still go to Thorpe Park.

It will be interesting to see how this develops or is this is just another phase. There is really no reason why CCR and the 4D cinema couldn't re-open and the area should be used more often.

We often take the nieces to Chessington, leave at 2PM then do a few hours at Thorpe when we do as the little one is only 1.2, doesn't stop us going on X, Fish, Rapids, Loggers, Quantum, Zodiac, Banana boat etc, the bonus of taking young kids who are not 1.4 to Thorpe is that you don't have to queue. One afternoon we got 10 goes on the Flying Fish, Quantum, Zodiac, Banana boat three trips around Rumba and a trip on Loggers. This shows there is things for kids 1.2 upwards and those rides never seem to be busy, but I wouldn't take a kid shorter than 1.2 to Thorpe.

I saw a Family on Sunday the kid must have been 90cm tall, dad says "Did you enjoy your day out" the kid says yes. I said to my partner "She must have gone on all of around 3 rides as she was not tall enough to go on anything" LOL