Tripsdrill

Maybe I'm just in a good mood, but have been completely smitten with Tripsdrill today too. Lovely place, and Karacho is a winner. Wine cellar has been well used.

Only slight negative was Mamut being a bit of a disappointment, still fun though and improved over the course of the day. 

To the waggon for a glass of red and some sleep, if a can drop off to the sound of bleating goats.

• 11 months later...

Can I echo the last 2 comments. 

Visited today, and will openly admit Tripsdrill is up there as one of the most charming parks I've visited. So down to earth, relaxed, and fun, it's perfect.

Very german.

Karacho is fab. Very forceful, very intense, very fun! the lapbars are awesome.

Mammut is the smoothest, most quiet woodie I've ridden. 

The bob thing is so intense, and very fun as well.

They have a new sky fly, it's not quite as fun as Blackpool's and the planes are a fair bit heavier but oh man these rides are so fun and it's a fantastic addition to the park.

Karacho burger's are so damn good, I'd go as far to say the best 'fast' food I've had at a theme park. The burgers are prepared in front of you in a gourmet style, very quickly and very cheaply, and taste great. Sort of food quality you'd expect from a hotel restaurant for a 3rd of the price, and prepared efficiently. Please insert every park in the world here take a page out of Tripsdrill's book.

So green, so airy, so spacious and so quiet. The park is such a perfect little place, and the backdrop is so breathtaking pictures simply do not do it justice. It's a very laid back place with small park ops; no ott staffing or H&S, rides without the need for bar checks, you just go. Rides which need bar checks supply the sufficient amount of staff to execute roles needed properly. And the amount of chats I had throughout the day with staff members... So, so good. If you ever go on the caterpillar ride, say hi to Gustov (not actually his name) for me. Absolute geezer, sent us round a few extra times, running down the platform screaming at us with joy every time we went passed. I loved his enthusiasm so much, absolute hero.

If you are ever visiting Europa, Holiday Park, or Phantasia don't forget about this little gem. It's well worth the visit (and the creds!) and shows you how a family park can be ran properly. I'll probably post some pictures or a little video at some point soon just to show you how cheery this place is.

• 2 years later...

Wipes dust off thread..

Tripsdrill have celebrated their 90th anniversary this year, and had plans to open a new coaster to celebrate. These plans didn't materialise for whatever reason, but were pushed back to next year. All that is known is that it was set to be a Vekoma family coaster.

The latest rumour, however, suggests it will be two coasters: a junior boomerang and a Vekoma Suspended Thrill Coaster (STC). What's more, this rumour suggests that both coasters will have the same layout as the ones planned for Tayto Park, which have yet to have permission granted.

It's believed that, if this is the case, this is some sort of stock version offered by Vekoma. And in any case, Tripsdrill were the first buyers of this (indeed true, as Tayto's new investment was long-thought to be an RMC until plans were submitted).

Below is a mock up from Tobi (infamous theme park enthusiast who did the models of Klugheim whilst that was being built) showing roughly the plan. Will be a nice investment for the park and help diversify their line up quite a lot! However, as I said when Tayto revealed their plans, I'm still unconvinced by a sprawling boomerang layout; part of their charm is their compactness!

1569005215259.png

An ideal couple of coasters for the place. I really liked the 'old park / new park' definition between the two areas, a little shame that this newness encroaches on the traditional side rather than adding to the more modern side where the rides are a bit sparse and could definaely take some additions.

Tripsdrill remains a park I will happily travel well out of may way for, a couple of new bits may well persuade me to do just that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And we have a name reveal and concept art:

The STC will be called Hals-Über-Kopf, which literally translates to "Neck over Head", but is also a German phrase to mean 'in a hurry', 'headlong' or 'making a rash decision'.

The Boomerang will be called Volldampf, which is "Full Steam" and feels a bit nicer to me!

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, pluk said:

Trying to get my bearings from the pic, is this immediately to the left if the little kiddie log flume?

I believe it's going adjacent to the car park, along the front/side of the park. Never visited the park so don't know if that's near the kiddie flume!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Makes a change to see a different layout on one of these, They're great for the family. Love the music, a bit different to typical theme park music. 

Very intrigued to see how much smoother these STC's ride to their former SLC designs! Vekoma is doing great things in recent times! 

I'm guessing it's more just perspective (and also the fact it's the first run), but the exit out of the turnaround looks a lot awkward to me. Be interested to see how that beds in, and how it looks from different angles. Also, the station for Volldampf looks fab.

50 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

I certainly think this is just the start of Vekoma's redemption. 

Vekoma's redemption has been been ongoing for the last 4 years. This is the point now where they should be hitting full speed with their new products. Between their STC, flying coaster and their variety of sit down models, along with their family ranges too, they've got enough that most parks should consider them in most cases now.

1 hour ago, JoshC. said:

Vekoma's redemption has been been ongoing for the last 4 years. This is the point now where they should be hitting full speed with their new products. Between their STC, flying coaster and their variety of sit down models, along with their family ranges too, they've got enough that most parks should consider them in most cases now.

I think this year/next year will really prove a sink or swim year or two for the company. The wheels are in motion in Europe and Asia, but it does beg the question whether we'll see a project over the pond. I know S&S and Vekoma are pretty much the same company now, but their products are different enough for Vekoma to branch outside of Europe and Asia.

I sincerely hope more parks snatch these models up. 

I don't think it's really sink or swim. Vekoma are doing really well for themselves and have a firm base. Their junior boomerang is a hit. Their newer models are booming in Asia. If the new gen flyer works out well that'll diversify them further. As will the new gen tilt coaster they have in the works. They've also still got a good relationship with Disney.

The issue with them breaking into America is that they face stronger competition from Premier. They're not competing with Intamin, because many of their rides are different, and aside from the not-yet-fully released flyer, they're not competing with B&M. And no doubt American parks would prefer to go for the likes of Premier (or S&S), simply because the locality can help reduce costs. Mack have had similar issues, and I can barely think of a handful of big Mack rides that have been built in America over the past 5 years. And yet Mack are doing fine.

It's a shame there's not more of these new Vekomas out in the world yet, but they're building up and doing well. It'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...