Universal Studios Florida

Mark9

8 minutes ago, Equoaster said:

Why did Hulk take/is taking so long to test?

If it had the same time testing as Mako surely it would be open by now:wacko:

As I understand it, Hulk coaster is ready, the queue isn't. The rebuild was projected to take longer than it did, and so they didn't start work on the new queue line until comparatively late. So the ride itself has been done for a while, but they need to finish the queue, which is apparently very nearly done as the walls have started to come down. 

Yeah like I've said multiple times, the coaster itself is pretty much done. They're still playing with the effects though like the water splash and getting the timing of the new launch sequence correct.

Kong began testing in January. We have no idea what goes on in the testing regimeand it was only recently the water dummies were taken out. So who knows. The original target was August, they're still on target. They just tried getting it done earlier but that became unrealistic. Makowas ready nearly a month before it's queue but had to wait. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fallon is projected for early next year, F&F for early/mid 2018.

Another one to add to potential stuff coming alongside SLOPs and Nintendo and a 3rd park: Dragon Challenge. 

It hasn't duelled for a few years now and as Hulks revamp has been received well Dragons is next. Rumours have it as closing middle of next month. And some put it down as being demolished with a new coaster taking its place maybe for next year! 

SLOPS?

All sounds potentially exciting stuff and the park is truly continuing to rise in the up by the sounds.

Dragon Challenge refurb sounds both interesting and a little concerning. I wonder whether this will be a complete Hulk style rebuild or a new ride completely? It would be/feel very strange for the park not to have this ride in the near future. 

Secret life of Pets.

And well rumour has it completely new ride. Maybe a wingrider. End of the day, Dragons doesn't work in the land, something designed around it would. A terrain hugging wing rider through the forest with near misses and special effects would look more in place and be a better complete experience. 

Secret Life Of Pets (SLOP) is the one earmarked for Shrek (if I remember correctly)?

Shame if Dragon Challenge is going completely (having never ridden) even if the re-theme and 'no' duel element removes much of its gimmick. However I'm sure Univerdal know what they're doing and in true fashion will replace what was good with something great. 

Its astounding how how the park can suddenly thrown in new plans this and accomplish it within 1-2 years whilst WDW take 5+ years for a land still not finished. 

Wonder  whether the ride would get relocated or become the second and third B&M's  (there's 2 tracks) to face the scrap heap.

5 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

Its astounding how how the park can suddenly thrown in new plans this and accomplish it within 1-2 years whilst WDW take 5+ years for a land still not finished. 

Wonder  whether the ride would get relocated or become the second and third B&M's  (there's 2 tracks) to face the scrap heap.

Thats because Universal are going for the everything and the kitchen sink approach and so far, its kind of worked. And as we know, any investment in a Florida park equals attendance rises for all parks. Disney don't have to do anything and people still flock to their parks. Is it any wonder they don't rush investment. 

21 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

Secret Life Of Pets (SLOP) is the one earmarked for Shrek (if I remember correctly)?

Shame if Dragon Challenge is going completely (having never ridden) even if the re-theme and 'no' duel element removes much of its gimmick. However I'm sure Univerdal know what they're doing and in true fashion will replace what was good with something great. 

Mark is right. Disney parks in general have the luxury of being able to go with a 'when it's ready attitude' because people will still go. They book years in advance and the average family probably doesn't even look at what's being built when they book.

Imagineering has a lot of internal debate etc which slows down construction and has caused so many amazing projects to be canned. 

For WDW in particular, there has been a huge amount of investment, it's just probably not what the average goon cares about. The cost of MyMagic+ and Disney Spring has caused projects to be delayed or cancelled.

For Universal, I can't believe they would demolish two B&Ms to then build another one.

Let's not forget the investment into Volcano Bay as well, probably talking millions. Another thing I'm gutted won't be open late March next year (boo!) But I suppose delays such as fires can't be helped...

To quote I.T Crowd, "a fire!? At a water park!?"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Kong. Stunning! . The facade is incredible and daunting. The mountain mural looks great up close, and even better from the distance, really looks like a mountain range going off into the distance. The huge doors opening, the kong entry arch, it all just sets the right tone. And then the queue. It's so well done, dark, twisty, carvings on the wall, actors, an animatronic worm before load, and the witch room! That really builds up the atmosphere as she summons Kong, great animatronic too, very realistic.

The ride. The vehicles are very agile for how large they are. So that's cool tech wise, and driving round to the gates is great. Once inside you get a mix of screens and real sets, and everything is well done. The motion bases, the story works well considering it has all been tagged onto the Kong360 video from Hollywood. It's really good fun, the drivers are cool, the Kong animatronic is stunning and you get so close to him! Incredible. It's nothing special in the sense of pushing the boundaries, but it's a great ride. Does feel quite short but that's just how the pacing is. Overall, a great addition to Islands!

Hulk. Not a lot has changed. The outside cattlepen is now covered, the interior queue is modernised and has some cool effects, the story is different, new trains stylish, launch tunnel very bright with a lack of effects, the soundtrack on board is really cool though! Ride isn't any smoother, it's edgy and snappy. Really is an icon coaster. 

Diagon Alley. So this was also new for me, was under construction last time I went. Wow. It is stunning and I'm not a fan of Potter. The train ride slightly disappointing but I didn't get the magic of travelling to Hogwarts. Just everything in DA is so thought through. The shops are as stunning as in Hogsmeade, but the addition of streets like Knockturn, the train bridge up above with train sound effects even though it's just a staff run, the huge fire breathing dragon. It is amazing and the true statementof theme park immersion in this era. 

And as for Gringotts, it's a really cool ride system with a good fun story and great pacing. Not as groundbreaking as FJ was, but it's loads of fun and very clever.

Overall, another lovely trip to Universal. VB looks like it'll be stunning, Toothsome is an incredible piece of design, and Citywalk seems so much better now it's had the majority of its makeover. It's great watching them grow and such a rate and continue to do so! 

• 1 month later...

FEATURED_FALLON-1050x656.jpg

This concept art has been released today as part of ablog update for the ride!

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/new-details-jimmy-fallon-ride/

It all sounds like good fun with lots of little extras in the NBC shop and the queue for the ride like the history of the show and being able to send a thank you note to someone. 

It'll actually absorb people unlike Twister, be reliable and looks a lot nicer than the old soundstage. Yeah it's more screens but this should be a laugh! 

17 minutes ago, Mitchada04 said:

This concept art has been released today as part of ablog update for the ride!

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/new-details-jimmy-fallon-ride/

It all sounds like good fun with lots of little extras in the NBC shop and the queue for the ride like the history of the show and being able to send a thank you note to someone. 

It'll actually absorb people unlike Twister, be reliable and looks a lot nicer than the old soundstage. Yeah it's more screens but this should be a laugh! 

This sounds dreadful imo... :D 

It will get the people in but there seems to be little thought gone into this attraction...

Twister was amazing, loved the effects!