Liseberg

EC!

Presumably worth it if you don't mind sharing with some Swedes, there's a PLENTIFUL amount of hostels in Gothenburg all within easy access of the park (by bus or tram)...

Gothenburg is pretty fab as well, the Universeum next door to Liseberg is pretty much a combo of Science, Natural History and Zoo... Plenty of parks and bars and what-not too...

The Swedes :wub: 

I'll take anything over staying in a hotel alone! I'm all about the hostel life. Admittedly I've only stayed in hostels in the UK but have made friends with people from all over and stayed in touch with most so I'm assuming it'll be the same there! Thinking of going in September time, either then or next spring. Is there a best time of year to go? Universeum sounds right up my street! 

No idea on best time, park hours are always pretty decent on weekends (11-11 on September, 3-11 Fridays) regardless of time, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people visit just to enjoy atmosphere...

Best suggestion is hit it up when the hotels and flights are cheap...

• 4 weeks later...

Well definitely looks a very attractive and impressive dive coaster and the drop looks very good on this too. I do Wonder how it compares to Oblivion, Baron and Valravn?

Apparently the park are enforcing a ‘no bags in queue’ system for bags here (like a lot of American parks are currently doing). However the lockers are cheap (so I’ve been told) and last upto three hours a time.

With that time of year right around the corner, it's worth noting Liseberg seems to be getting some new scare mazes this Halloween:

• Hotel Gasten will be getting a makeover into 'Smittharden Gasten'.
  • Two new mazes, named 'The Attic' and 'The Experiment'

Given I was quite impressed by Hotel Gasten in June, the revamp definitely sounds interesting! :)

• 1 month later...

I won't do a huge rambling post like I just did for my blog, but I will say that the Liseberg Halloween event is incredible and I highly recommend it!

All 4 mazes are fab, and a lot of effort has gone into the event. The park is really well decorated, obviously night rides on Helix were a ride based highlight, and Valkyria is fab!

The Experiment was short but crammed in the scares, they also sent me round alone. 8/10

Zombie was longer, loads of actors, looked amazing, and the make up was spot on. Not wheelchair accessible as stated though.
8/10

Smittharden Gasten was the most beautiful maze I've ever been in, and I wish I'd had time to do it again, again lots of actors and lots of scares.
9.5/10

Vinden was a surprise, it included a very big and fast industrial lift, and some of the most impressive animatronics I've seen inside a maze.
9/10

There were also a tonne of actors in both the scare zones, and they really did interact with everyone, even children.

Probably the best event I've been to at a park, loved it.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:50 PM, Cedar Creek said:

However the lockers are cheap (so I’ve been told) and last upto three hours a time.

They are free and I didn't see anything about time limits, we were naughty and left stuff in them after finishing up with Valk, with absolutely no issues. Liseberg have only implemented them because of lack of room for storage lockers on the ride platform, it's hard to really argue with that logic. :)

Quick reviews because I'm so far behind on trip reports but want to say these things before it's too late, a report will follow though.

Helix is still the best coaster in the World, even after having nightmares about it not living up to how I remember it, I came off my 1st of 19 laps during last weekend on the verge of tears and shaking. #TeamHelix

Valkyria is HANDS DOWN the best dive coaster I've ever been on and has transformed a coaster type I normally roll my eyes at into something truly special. Everything has purpose, the fast lift, the fast turn around, the tight intense layout and the lovely forces it provides. It's an absolute winner and I must retract my previous statements about not being excited for it.

Loke is fantastic and adds yet another fantastic flat to Liseberg's outstanding line up.

The new Max restaurants are great and a massive improvement over the BKs. 

I second those complimenting the Halloween event at the park, the place looks stunning and the scare zone near Balder and Valk was hilariously good fun.

I'm now promoting Liseberg to my favourite park out there, the line up, the atmosphere, the food and the location, it all finally came together and dawned on me this time round, I apologise for being late to the party on this one.

Same as everyone else really. Helix, I'd forgotten how incredible that ride was. Blew me away. The sheer force of pacing on the thing is extraordinary and the launches get completely overshadowed by inversion after air time hill after inversion after air time hill after inversion. Its such a tour de force for Mack, just an amazing ride and the second best ride in Europe.

Valkyria, I get the feeling I'm suffering from dive machine fatigue as I wasn't as blown away by this as others but it is a good ride and one of the longer dive machines out there. Definitely better then Krake and Oblivion the Black Hole.

• 4 months later...

There's not enough love on here for Liseberg right now, so I figured I'd fix that with a press release I somehow completely missed back in November 2018 hinting at an exciting new investment which is scheduled soon and no, it's not the hotel and water park. It's a dark ride (finally!) scheduled for completion in 2020.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/liseberg/pressreleases/liseberg-satsar-200-mkr-I-utoekat-kaninland-2020-2791561

Here is what the article says translated as best I could:

Families with children will be the big winners when Liseberg reveals the next big investment in the theme park. Year 2020 pending a new theatre scene, a theme restaurant and, as yet undisclosed, a new attraction – all with the familiar green rabbits in the centre.

In recent years, Liseberg has invested in several cool attractions such as Helix, Loke and Valkyria. Several have been praised as Europe's best attraction of it's kind. But now reveals the Liseberg amusement park to the next bet is for the park's youngest guests.

Before 2020, it can in Kaninlandet, children's area, which was inaugurated as late som2013. There are currently 13 attractions, games, children's play area and theater scene.

The total investment is at 200m Krona (£17m) and includes a brand new rabbit-themed family restaurant. The restaurant will be built in the current Cafe Taubes premises and is planned to open in conjunction with our premiere 2020. 

"Visiting Kaninlandet has always been more than the sum of the attractions and the bunnies, it's an experience where the story of the area constantly present. The investments we make to 2020 will prolong the adventure and make the visit to a holistic experience" says Andreas Andersen, CEO of Liseberg. 

Adjacent to the restaurant will bunnies new scene to be built, as well as the new attraction that is so far a secret.

"I can say so much that it will be a great attraction for the whole family", says the Liseberg's CEO Andreas Andersen.

So yeah, £17m is being invested into an entire new section of the park for 2020 and recent imagery suggests the dark ride will be located in the old Liseberg Hall (large indoor building next to north entrance) which, to my understanding, is presently being knocked down in preparation for all this.

I swear, Liseberg is being absolutely relentless right now with new, worthwhile and sometimes amazing investments every year popping up with Helix, Mechanica, AeroSpin, Loke, Valkyria and now an expensive permanent dark ride. This is all reminding me of Thorpe in the early 2000s.

Honestly intrigued by this project and can't wait for more details to be revealed soon!

^_^

6 hours ago, Mattgwise said:

I have heard its going to use the same setup and technology as DBGT. They visited Thorpe and were so impressed they wanted something similar. 

Only difference is it will be themed to rabbits instead. 

I can just see it now:

"The future for rabbits across the world" with "over 1,000 bucks involved to create this experience".

Exciting times ahead!

2 hours ago, Marhelorpe said:

I can just see it now:

"The future for rabbits across the world" with "over 1000 bucks involved to create this experience".

Exciting times ahead!

Your favourite park opening it’s very own version of your all time favourite dark ride!!??

Christmas really has came early for you hey!!?? :D

Liseberg really deserve all the credit in the world for their investments over the last few years!! Nearly all have been money well spent which is more than I can say for a certain abomination in a warehouse that relies on VR....

Reminds me of  the World Of Plop and the Cadbury world dark ride a little.

Looks rather bright and kiddiefied, but a rather charming upbeat attraction that should fit in well. 

The park definitely needed a notable dark ride/indoor attraction and this one should do the trick.

Looks  better than DBGT, let alone the random Fairy Tale Castle that existed before. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Video from the guy who did the filming:

Interesting details about number of times it took to get the video found in comments:

The first 5-6 flights was mostly figuring out what lines to take and trying stuff to see what looked nice on video. So after we had decided on a route it actually only took about three attempts to nail it, but I began to know the track really well by then.

I got a really nice onetake on flight 9, but it was cloudy so we kept filming throughout the day. This was the 16th or 17th flight.