Liseberg

EC!

Clearly some people need to realise that's where Helix get's it's thrill factor from - the amount of vulnerability experienced in the seats during the ride.

According to some recent feedback though, the seatbelts don't seem to have any effect on the airtime or whatever anyway :lol: Panic over for now hopefully! 

Baron, they were heavy handed on Helix and Balder all the way back in 2016, doesn't seem to be a new thing and never affected the fun anyway.

I'll happily watch the throughput suffer if the ride experience remains the same. I'm glad to read that it hasn't been affected but I'll reserve judgement till I've been reunited with the beast.

With how weird Sweden has been with parks in the past (see Kolmarden), I wouldn't be shocked to hear it's a new H&S ruling...

22 hours ago, BaronC. said:

I believe they're planning to open it in July-time.

It's just the drop that needs doing, so it's nothing major really. The commissioning process won't take too long to complete, so it's just a case of finishing off the station building and surrounding area. :)

I hope you're right, but presuming the tunnel is only just finished (due to the issues it's had), doesn't this mean they'll still need to put footers and foundations down in this area?  In which case, do these not take an amount of time to set?

I think it’s currently estimated for a late June opening from what I last heard. 

If this thing isnt running in August, then there’s something very wrong there. Once the tunnel is sorted, this beast should be ready quite soon I expect.

The park just needs a major dark ride type attraction now. Rather badly if you ask.

14 minutes ago, Benin said:

Space would be an issue there methinks (dark ride wise), though depends what they could do if they spited the DreamFlight rip-off...

I believe that's already been closed. And I'm sure they've said in the past they planned to convert that space into a modern dark ride at some point, so we will see.

(Anyone visiting this year for the first time - don't worry. Their dark ride was the biggest pile of turd at the park so you haven't missed out on anything!)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, at least they are getting there, but I’m skeptic on this being ready for June time. August may be realistic. 

It’s actually a shame the park has struggled so much with landscaping for this coaster. The area’s water table (likely with being near a harbour) may well be responsible here. 

As difficult a dark ride may be to implement within a park fairly tight on space, it’s not all impossible. Areas around where the giant arcade and mirror maze could be some potential locations amongst others. 

As good Hotel Gaston is, it can’t really hold out as the park’s only real indoor attraction. 

Here’s a clip of that former dark ride. You can clearly see how much of a great loss it actually is.

At least the facade was quite nice. Surely. Ok I’ll go.

The water table is normally determined by boreholes and the geotechnical engineers would have been able to design for it. The sheetpiles are taking care of the water inflow and pumps during excavation would deal with any possible upward seepage of water. If the temperature has been below freezing then the sheetpiles wouldn't have been able to go in. Winds could have caused issues and any rain would have delayed the excavation. Any issues not detected in the boreholes could have caused delay as well. 

I'm surprised they have had trouble digging a hole with a sheetpile cofferdam seeing as they are normally used in much more complicated sites.

14 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

It excites me to see how quickly this is going up! :D

It's literally a drop and pull out they've got to put in, should go up in a day or two.

Then again, given this reasonably short coaster had its first piece of track installed in December, I guess a week or so for a drop would be quick for the project... ;)

Still in love with the track colour. :wub:

• 1 month later...

I believe it has now been confirmed by Andreas that the testing of Valkyria is going to commence sometime this week finally now that the structure of the tunnel is complete.

I went on a trip to the park a few days ago and whilst it was disappointing not to be able to ride Valkyria, I can tell you now that in-person, this coaster looks absolutely incredible and is definately one worth keeping everyone's eyes on! It's much larger than I was expecting it to be, the twists and turns look tight and compact and the station looks stunning from the outside, especially with the contrast of Balder and Loke right next to it. Really honestly cannot wait to get back to this park and try it!

Below are some pictures of Valkyria I took whilst there from different angles for those interested. We were extremely lucky with the weather:

20180628_130129.thumb.jpg.aab1f7a83ab89e626b69732231f8ee64.jpg

20180626_192232.thumb.jpg.1964954ee5fbab0b35b727c234825155.jpg

20180626_192314.thumb.jpg.46454d849d51c11903e5abf3d36bc057.jpg

20180628_125957.thumb.jpg.3fa30a44a45c09ef1b7a5ec42950b46c.jpg

20180626_193241.thumb.jpg.16e70a0ae77b2be2aba11e08eef30d02.jpg

20180628_125928.thumb.jpg.1d13b9483bee5ad5011f0d27aa59b332.jpg

20180628_132233.thumb.jpg.961e2e1906223acbe3da0b3289713bf4.jpg

20180628_180617.thumb.jpg.a8f538532d5c1e8e3db2221116ef317e.jpg

20180628_130436.thumb.jpg.337b325552c9eefef4f5ffc1ce7b0206.jpg

The three giants, all together. ?

I'm seriously considering making a trip here alone, none of my friends are enthusiast enough to want to go and my other half doesn't do heights of any kind so he's never any use! I'm very tempted to just book into a hostel for a couple of nights and explore the park and surrounding area. Anyone ever done it?