What would you class as an Inversion

J.S217

I have recently been wondering what is in fact classed as an Inversion, because Thorpe Park advertise the Swarms Inclined loop as an Inversion but I do not think it is. Were as Some people count Saw The Ride's Over banked turn after the Immelmann as an inversion but I am not really sure. do you guys think an inversion has to be over a certain amount of degrees like over 135. I have just been wondering.

Interestingly, I've noticed in this year's Press Pack, Thorpe state Swarm only has four inversions - http://www.thorpepark.com/downloads/press/THORPE-PARK-Press-Pack-2013.pdf (page 11), but it's still says 5 on the actual Swarm section of the site. Not sure whether it's a typo or they're slowing going to downplay it and eventually just say it's 4?

I think what 'makes' an inversion is going to be down to the individual person. I do agree that Swarm's inclined loop can't really be classed as an inversion, but at the same time, I can see why marketing can get away with it. To me, I'd say an actual inversion probably has to be a turn of 150 degrees at least, as there are cases of extremely over banked turns which don't really invert you.

I do agree that the line between inversion and 'over-banked' is very hazy, but I guess that makes it slightly easier for marketing departments, ey? :P

To be fair I have this dispute with Air, people saying for instance the barrel roll on it is an inversion when you clearly do not go upside down!

My theory, you are essentially laying down in air and you do a 360 degree turn.

If air's barrel roll (as well as lie to fly etc) counts as an inversion then that must mean when I'm laying on my bed and turn over I have done an inversion yes?

To me an inversion is where your feet are sky high and your head is down low.

No Ricky, when you roll over in bed you have definitely gone through an inversion. Upside down madness right there.

;)

I can see why people would think a fly-to-lie is an inversion, because you have technically inverted from your previous position (belly to back). However, in the traditional sense inversions are elements that completely tip you upside down, so fly-to-lies don't fit this definition of an inversion. However they do still invert you from your previous position. Make sense?

If it's on RCDB then it counts...

[/end thread]

But don't RCDB partially rely on the park's press releases and such to help them along?

For example, they originally had Swarm down as 4 inversions, but once press releases said it had 5, they changed it to 5? Then it just skews it marketing departments and such.