Sonic Spinball Relocation to Thorpe Park

James_C

Now I for one do not believe that this is true, however it does seem to have alot of weight behind it.

Many people over on Towerstimes seem to believe that Sonic Spinball will be relocated to another Merlin park. Most think it will be Thorpe Park. Weeks ago I would have just laughed it off, but since the removal of the "fat heads" and the realization on Merlins behalf that Thorpe Park need more family rides...it could be true.

We now that Alton Towers plan to move Sonic Spinball anyway as documented in their LTDP published 2 years ago or so and I personally would say it would be a waste of money to move a roller coaster like that to a different location within the same park. Therefore it would move (possibly) to another park (all to make way for their Adventure Land/Farm revamp).

Chessington - No already have Dragons Fury

Legoland Windsor - No, last rollercoaster deemed too loud and Sonic Spinball is very loud

Other International Merlin Attraction - Possible

THORPE PARK - looking to appeal more to families, family coaster...could attract a new audience and win back the 10% lost last year?

I do not believe it, but in some ways it does make sense.

Heres the thread - http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-towers-future/new-2014/

Damn why couldn't they move the Smiler instead :P one problem with this that I would see if the spinball move did go ahead to Thorpe is that the queue tines would be horrific, Sonic Spinball already gets terribly long queues at towers so what would it be like at Thorpe...probably even worse. Another thing is that why would they move it to Thorpe when Dragons Fury is just down the road?

Spinball fits in really well at Alton Towers though, why would they want it removed?

Fits into ruining that gorgeous view from the entrance yes...

Towerstimes said this? Well I guess since Smiler has that washing machine element they have no need for a spinning coaster on the park...

Silly season isn't meant to start until the parks close...

Fits into ruining that gorgeous view from the entrance yes...

You don't have to be so sarcastic with everything!

Let's not forget that Alton Towers is a THEME park, not a quiet place that you go to for nice views.

If you want nice views go to Yorkshire. (But not LWV because they block the view with rides as they are a theme park. Funny that).

It actually does make sense. We know AT are going for (a) new family attraction(s) next year, thought to be development of adventureland/farm into one coherent area and possibly including a childrens/family coaster.

Towers are not short of family attractions as it is, it wouldn't be a surprise to me if a new family coaster was a replacement not an addition. Thorpe are looking to attract more families and no doubt want to do it cheaply as a quick change of direction. It could work.

Still massively doubt it would happen. I have no idea where Spinball would fit at Thorpe (although StormSurge shows that is not necessarily an issue!) and I'm not sure Spinball is aimed at a young enough audience for Thorpes needs.

You don't have to be so sarcastic with everything!

lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

Erm, yeah, Towers might be a theme park, but that doesn't mean that the presentation of the park should be ignored... Indeed, they took their inspiration of Disney's Main Street only with an actual gothic building as the main focus, yet since 2004 we have a loud and brightly coloured distraction that really ruins the setting...

Towers has one of the most beautiful settings for a theme park in the country, why not use it to their own advantage? It's something completely unique to them and as they say, first impressions count for everything, and there is something still obscenely brilliant about walking down Towers Street being greeted by the lake and Towers... Best entrance area in the country to be quite honest...

LWV isn't comparable as it's just masses of fields... Massive difference to Towers...

Erm, yeah, Towers might be a theme park, but that doesn't mean that the presentation of the park should be ignored... Indeed, they took their inspiration of Disney's Main Street only with an actual gothic building as the main focus, yet since 2004 we have a loud and brightly coloured distraction that really ruins the setting...

Towers has one of the most beautiful settings for a theme park in the country, why not use it to their own advantage? It's something completely unique to them and as they say, first impressions count for everything, and there is something still obscenely brilliant about walking down Towers Street being greeted by the lake and Towers... Best entrance area in the country to be quite honest...

No.

Considering that Towers is a theme park, rides come before views. Try asking the multitude of park visitors (which after all, is what matters) whether they would rather have Spinball or a nice view and they would say Spinball.

It's not a distraction, it's a ride which is what theme parks are all about.

The only way Towers could use the beautiful setting for the theme park to their advantage would be to provide discounted tickets to go in without going on rides (which they should do anyway - they would make quite a lot of money from people wanting to go to see the gardens) but nobody is going to pay the entrance fee to look at views - they want to go on rides!

No.

Considering that Towers is a theme park, rides come before views. Try asking the multitude of park visitors (which after all, is what matters) whether they would rather have Spinball or a nice view and they would say Spinball.

It's not a distraction, it's a ride which is what theme parks are all about.

The only way Towers could use the beautiful setting for the theme park to their advantage would be to provide discounted tickets to go in without going on rides (which they should do anyway - they would make quite a lot of money from people wanting to go to see the gardens) but nobody is going to pay the entrance fee to look at views - they want to go on rides!

What is the best park entrance in the country then?

There are much more to theme parks than just rides... Presentation and location is just as important in all senses, Spinball (and Rita, but that's not the focus here) are both a product of the minimal investment, maximum return, with little (to no) thought to their placement, and how they would affect their surroundings...

The Americans just focus on rides (for the majority)... And most of those parks are cookie cutter places with minimal atmosphere... Never underestimate the power of using the area beauty to the advantage of the park...

There are much more to theme parks than just rides... Presentation and location is just as important in all senses, Spinball (and Rita, but that's not the focus here) are both a product of the minimal investment, maximum return, with little (to no) thought to their placement, and how they would affect their surroundings...

I never said presentation didn't matter - as it stands I think Spinball looks quite good as it is.

Anyway back on topic, I think that it is a strange decision to move it to Thorpe (if it is happening) but I can sort of see why they are doing so.

Personally I would like it to happen - Thorpe is in much closer proximity to me than Towers so I would get to ride it more often! Not sure where it would fit in though.

Towerstimes have stated that Towers are apparently looking into it moving...

Not the most reliable source these days is it? Especially when the only link to it maybe going to Thorpe is that "THEY'RE CHANGING TO THE FAMILY MARKET!"...

We already have the superior UK Spinner down south, and the last thing Thorpe needs is another low throughput coaster... There are a fair amount of options available elsewhere with better throughputs if they really want to get a thrilling family coaster... A GCI perhaps?

Towerstimes have stated that Towers are apparently looking into it moving...

Towers desire to move is not a TT rumour, it was told by AT themselves in the published MTDP. Doesn't mean they ever will do it of course, but it wouldn't be in there if it was not seriously considered. It did not specify if they meant move within the park or to out of it. The Thorpe link though seems to be just someone thinking out loud. If Thorpe could get a cheap 'decent' coaster in a medium investment filler year I'm guessing they would?

Towers desire to move is not a TT rumour, it was told by AT themselves in the published MTDP. Doesn't mean they ever will do it of course, but it wouldn't be in there if it was not seriously considered. It did not specify if they meant move within the park or to out of it. The Thorpe link though seems to be just someone thing out loud. If Thorpe could get a cheap 'decent' coaster in a medium investment filler year I'm guessing they would?

Wasn't that relocation earmarked for 'Coaster Corner' at Towers though?

The Thorpe link is as Marc said, 2+2=5...

I really can't see this happening, but then this is merlin, who said last year there was no physical way of turning the back rows of swarm backwards, but did anyway, mind you I still think it is extremely unlikely, seeing they could just get there own as a medium term project seeming that spinball coast around £3,500,000, but also again very unlikely. Nothing would surprise me though...

In terms of Sonic Moving, I would be surprised if it moved to Thorpe with fury down the road and also there's no area foot marked for a coaster that size. In terms of relocation, I don't know if this will ever happen even with tower's intentions as it would cost money just to move and rebuild the ride.

Personally if I were Merlin/AT I would just keep it where it is...its popular and a great ride. But as they have highlighted that it is to be moved its anyones guess.

There are a lot of reasons why it's always got the longest queues on park, mainly because it's the first ride people see so instantly go on it (especially families) and it's on a major pathway, meaning near enough every guest in an average day walks past it...

I call it the 'Truckers' effect...