Sonic Spinball Relocation to Thorpe Park

James_C

Spinballs life was extended with Sonic sponsorship.

The family area removes Adventureland next year, so that'll be gone. Although spinball is very much still there for next year it seems.

However beyond that, it may change. It should change. It's an awful ride.

Would you still keep it a far better ride could replace it? You may like it but you have to admit it is a real challenge to get on it without a ridiculous queuing time.

Maybe not, but that doesn't make it awful just because there are better rides that could replace it.

That isn't what I'm asking Jamie. It's awful in spite of better rides being around. The fact that it isn't even the best Maurer spinner in the country let alone Winjas Fear and Force, Tarantula or Salama means I crave a better rollercoaster that much more.

Personally I think this would be a great idea! Although it may not be the best ride in the world it offers a medium sort of thrill between Flying Fish and the big coasters that Thorpe has always lacked. It would offer a fun ride to those looking for a non looping coaster and will probably not be missed at a park like Alton where there are almost coasters to spare!!! Its also a good enough ride to warrent keeping by Merlin

I say replace Spinball with a new fun family coaster, one with thrilling fun airtime, twist and turns and one with a capacity of over 900 an hour as well as having a colour scheme and noise level that Won't detract the park area. Maybe something like Knightmare would fulfil this successfully though that's more of a thrill coaster than a family one.

Personally I think this would be a great idea! Although it may not be the best ride in the world it offers a medium sort of thrill between Flying Fish and the big coasters that Thorpe has always lacked. It would offer a fun ride to those looking for a non looping coaster and will probably not be missed at a park like Alton where there are almost coasters to spare!!! Its also a good enough ride to warrent keeping by Merlin

Completely agree, but then Thorpe could in a way get a reputation as Merlin/Tussaud's second hand dumping ground what with Samurai also being from another park. Reliability would also possibly be an issue as it is nearly 10 anyway...

If they did opt for the Maurer spinning coaster, I'd much rather they'd simply by their own. Sonic Spinball might be an fun ride but Thorpe won't waste the money required to relocate it when they could spend just about as much money on a completely new coaster. If I'm honest, this time next year I think Spinball will be pencilled in for Oakwood.

If they did opt for the Maurer spinning coaster, I'd much rather they'd simply by their own. Sonic Spinball might be an fun ride but Thorpe won't waste the money required to relocate it when they could spend just about as much money on a completely new coaster. If I'm honest, this time next year I think Spinball will be pencilled in for Oakwood.

Remember we also have Knightmare in our warehouse in Oakwood, as a little birdy who worked there told me, so that might be going up sometime soon unless oakwood want to make a quick buck of it, but any how, spinball would be welcome because this is the park that usually runs only 1 or 2 trains on speed and 1 almost always on megafobia, because it ain't busy there.

Remember we also have Knightmare in our warehouse in Oakwood, as a little birdy who worked there told me, so that might be going up sometime soon unless oakwood want to make a quick buck of it, but any how, spinball would be welcome because this is the park that usually runs only 1 or 2 trains on speed and 1 almost always on megafobia, because it ain't busy there.

Imagine those sort of operations on a MAURER :bad:

Imagine those sort of operations on a MAURER :bad:

I'm sure Oakwood would use the amount of trains use now, the throughput on what is a small park will be alot quicker because there won't be so many queueing :P

Wait so Oakwood have Knightmare?

PUT IT UP!

Jamie thats what I have been told and yes I hope they do :P

^ They very much should do, new ride for next year anyone?
Bit strange that they have it and aren't putting it up though.

If this is true then Spinball is unlikely to go to Oakwood.

If it does leave Towers then I hope it goes somewhere, I would hate to see it scrapped.

^ They very much should do, new ride for next year anyone?

Bit strange that they have it and aren't putting it up though.

If this is true then Spinball is unlikely to go to Oakwood.

If it does leave Towers then I hope it goes somewhere, I would hate to see it scrapped.

They could put both up at the same time as they are used rides and probably don't cost much (in coaster terms) much at all. or 1 after the other as they do have a 5year development plan.

Well if the Flying Fish cost £1M to relocate into storage and then resurrect just a year later, then Spinball would cost more than it would be worth. Just buy a new one. Why transport that much metal from Stoke-on-Trent to either Staines or somewhere in Wales when, for around the same price, you could build a new low-throughput spinning coaster?

Well if the Flying Fish cost £1M to relocate into storage and then resurrect just a year later, then Spinball would cost more than it would be worth. Just buy a new one. Why transport that much metal from Stoke-on-Trent to either Staines or somewhere in Wales when, for around the same price, you could build a new low-throughput spinning coaster?

True. Oakwood should just stick with Knightmare if they actually do put it up.

(fun little fact: Speed cost £500,000 less then sonic to manufacture and build :P)

How come Saw at Thorpe cost over £15 million then? It's the same manufacturer and to be honest I think that Speed is the better ride.

Because it was only the 3rd ever eurofighter, is bi rail because gerstlauer hadnt depeloped it yet and it is a tiny bit shorter. :P but still Speed is the better ride :P

Saw set Thorpe back £13.5M by my records. I can assure you most of it was on the IP and the themeing. Gerstlauer Euro-fighters were still making a name for themselves and as Ethan states, Saw was only the third in the UK. There were a few operating in small parks in Europe at the time. The track for Saw would've been just under half the total cost of the project, as the £13.5M figure probably included the IP, the themeing elements and also the land infilling too.