University

Holly

Now this one is different to school, I thought I would make it specific so that people would know exactly what this is about.

I'm facing an issue with the fact that I didn't enjoy my course at Uni, to the point that going back now makes me want to cry and I'm doing all I can to change course. I even have to re-apply through UCAS (!) Now I have the task of choosing the course that I want to be on and the course that is what I want to pursue.

Now then onto the topic, this is to help anyone on TPM who's making that all important decision and wants help, a fair few of us here are at Uni and I'm sure there's lots of advice to be given. It's tough to decide but it's not the worse thing in the world. I just want to make sure that you all make the right choice and enjoy Uni to the fullest. I am currently having to go through clearing so let's all have some fun with that one XD

A thread totally dedicated to university is a really good idea! Uni is very different to school - I'm not really sure why nobody thought to make this distinction on here sooner.

Ahh UCAS. Oh UCAS. What a fun website to navigate. When it's not deleting your information for no reason, it's giving you headaches as whoever designed it did their utmost best to make it as user unfriendly as possible. Good luck to all those using UCAS ;)

Student Finance is no better, either. I didn't have a passport when I applied for SF, so I had to get a teacher (they also had to be a UK passport holder) to sign a form and send that in. Simple, right? It should have been, except they didn't give you a link to any kind of form, and only sent the form they require (and some snobby letter telling you you did it wrong) AFTER you'd made up some kind of letter and got that signed and sent off. <_<

Anyway, it all worked out! Good luck to everyone who has applied for next year, and good luck to you too Holly! Hopefully you will find a course you like :D

I found UCAS to be very manageable, although that may be because I applied post-results and did it all in a day so there wasn't any chance of things going too wrong!

Student Finance was a bit more annoying with a few letters back and forth saying I needed to sign XYZ.

Either way that's all done! I haven't received anything back from accommodation so fingers crossed there.

But yes all has gone well for me and I have accepted an unconditional offer to do Psychology at Birmingham; exciting times!

I guess a topic like this never really came about as not many people here were at / have been to uni - only 6 or 7 that I can think of? Anyways, seems like a good time for it to come about with more people choosing to go.

I didn't think UCAS was too bad actually. A bit confusing at first, but once I got on with it, all plain sailing really. I hated them on Results Day though, as they said 'Don't check Track and slow the website down, you'll get an email when it has been updated'. I was stubborn though and kept refreshing Track - which was updated a good 8-10 hours before I got my email through. Good thing I checked, otherwise I would have gone mad with the waiting!

Student Finance is horrid to sort out. So many forms, going back and forth. There's so many little things to work out and it can be very frustrating, especially as you do it in the months preceding to the main exams (if you apply in Year 13). The good thing is, once it's sorted, it's really easy to update, and the annual 'renewal' is straightforward and simply to do (as long as you keep hold of important details and emails; like you should anyway). So, after all that effort, it's fine.

As for university itself, I got a rather worrying email which said I might be kicked off my course today! :S

To explain - I missed an exam due to breaking my ankle. I get to sit at the beginning of September, taking the resit exam, but it's classed as a first attempt today. However, when I was emailed today about it, I was told:

...following the Summer Term examinations, the Board of Examiners for your degree has resolved that you not be permitted to proceed to the next year of your degree course, but be granted a further first attempt at the examination in September.

What I *think* it is, is because without that exam (which counts as a whole module), I wouldn't have done enough credits for my first year, and so technically haven't done enough to move on. So, when I sit the exam in September, I'll have enough credits, and can proceed fine and dandy. However, my results included the missed module (scored as 0%), and as I passed, even taking that into account, it shouldn't be an issue. And, as it's not a core or important module, it doesn't matter what I score.

So yeah, quite confused, and a bit worried. I've emailed for clarification; I do think it's just a case of I need to do the exam in September and the email was just badly worded / I'm over-worrying. But if it does end up that I get kicked off my course (for no good reason), I genuinely have no clue what I would end up doing... :/

That might be that you just sit one module next year, I have a mate that's only re-sitting 3.

See I had not problem with Student finance, thank god I have that sorted already so I just need to change it when I change course but UCAS is just a drag. I need to re-do my personal statement so if anyone wants to help, it would be much appreciated. I shall tell you when I've decided what course so we can gear it towards that.

Oooh great topic! :)

As I'm 17, I am currently in the process of doing my personal statement ready to apply on UCAS. Hoping to study Travel & Tourism management BSc for 4 years (2 years study followed by a 1-year work placement and 1 year after that back at Uni). Have looked at the University of West London and De Montfort University (Leicester) so far, Leicester was with Sixth Form & they don't really do any courses I like, but nice campus Uni! Would much prefer to be in a city Uni though. Really, really like UWL which is in Ealing & has two main sites. Also considering Aston (Birmingham) as my 'overly ambitious' slot... A slightly different course though more focused on Transport & Transport of goods, with a higher grade of entry...

In need of 260 UCAS points according to UCAS but the Uni did say it was a little lower than that. :o Think I can get 260 if I try well enough though! :) Would be very happy if I get that course as it revolves around everything that interests me! Visiting new places... Randomly going off travelling to new places in the UK if something comes up to do... Visitor attractions... Transportation methods, railways etc. Perfect for me! :P

Got work experience just finished this week at Chiltern Railways so that's another thing to help me on my way with things, absolutely loved working for them, great company, and a great industry to be in as well. Everyone has to get along in order to make sure things run as smoothly as possible, which for me makes it a great working environment, it's quite fast paced at times and because of this can have quite a buzz about it! And hopefully after Uni I'll manage to get into a job on the railways! Hopefully staying in London then too... :)

*hopes student finance & UCAS all goes well and stress-free for me... And everyone else for that matter.* :P

^ Hmm well I am visiting both and I suppose by the end of visiting I will know which one I prefer. :P UWL, I wasn't expecting so much from, but on the inside it is really modern, fresh, and the accommodation was new 2006 (as far as I know). On the outside it didn't seem so exciting to me but it made me think of the whole 'don't judge a book by it's cover' sort of thing! It's also got a new Student Union building under construction opening September this year, by what I've read it's improved a lot over the past 3/4 years and since it was re-named. Also I've known the area of Ealing for quite a while, and I like it there. Much nicer than Southall and some other outer-London suburbs anyway! I would certainly be happy studying there if I did choose it! :D

Can't wait for uni, start at Brunel in September.

There isle problem I have is with accommodation. When I first started applying, I saiid wanted halls but have decided I want to stay at home now because the uni isn't too far away and it's very expensive for halls. I have no idea how this will work.

Stay at halls, worth the experience if anything...

100% agree with this. I don't know how I'd have made any real friends if I wasn't in halls in this past year. Even if you end up not liking the people you live with, it's an experience and a good learning curve of life, etc.

As for university itself, I got a rather worrying email which said I might be kicked off my course today! :S

Also, got an email back about this. Thankfully, it's nothing to worry about - it's just because where I've technically failed an exam (as it stands), I cannot officially go to next year. As soon as I take the exam (which I'm confident I'll pass easily), then I can officially be 'allowed' into second year. So yeah, turns out I was over-worrying. Phew :P

One of my best friends goes to Imperial! I can't for the life of me remember what his halls were called, but they were the ones right next to the gym. They cost him a fortune even though they are some of the cheapest (I believe), and they are shared bathroom facilities. In comparison, I paid £93 a week for my halls, and that included ensuite facilities and one meal a day cooked for me (although they weren't the nicest meals in the world).

Good luck, hopefully you will get in! My friend loves it there so I'm sure you will too :)

I'm planning on Imperial this Autumn and the halls range from about 110-240 per week!!!!!!!!! Still, its only one year and theres plenty of places in London to get a job :D

Now I see why a friend who goes to Imperial was dead-set from living at home! :o

At Warwick, Halls ranged from £76-£150 pw. For me, I paid £89pw, got a large bedroom and, in general, the Halls themselves and surrounding area were beautiful. Granted, I shared a kitchen with 17 other people and it was 1 shower between 6, but I had no problem with it at all.

Come September, my house has rent of £90pw, including all bills and utilities (plus TV license). It's a 24 person house, so it's a bit like living in a smaller set of Halls really, but it's one bathroom between 3. We also get a huge kitchen (at least twice the size of the one I had this year), Games room (with Snooker and football tables), plus a TV all included. It's seriously an amazing place!

Price-wise, glad I didn't go to a London uni! :P

Ah thanks, hopefully :s Are you thinking of Weeks halls? That was my first choice :D £93 sounds a brilliant price for what you got!!!!!!! Did you manage to find somewhere nice to live out in next year??

Yes, that's the one!

I have managed to bag myself a pretty nice house for next year too. I'm living with 7 of my friends - one has an ensuite but we're making him pay more towards the rent for that luxury :P My rent is going to be £335pm not including bills, but all the rooms have double beds and I'm in Southsea (which is MUCH nicer than Fratton) so I can't complain :)

• 10 months later...

So...I gave a revision lecture today to First Years!

It was really nice as the stresses and strains of uni, and specifically revision, have been getting to me the past few weeks (and I mean REALLY getting to me). So to have something something different to do was very fun. It also worked out nicely since the module I went over is essentially background knowledge for one of the exams I'm doing in a few weeks time, so was nice to have that grounded in.

Talking in front of 200 people (and making a fool of yourself by saying a question is easy then getting it wrong...) was strangely enjoyable!

And now back to revision for my 5 remaining exams...

First year doesn't count but you still need to pass (40%) to get into the second year.

I'm really glad I picked my degree for the enjoyment/interest factor rather than employability or 'it was my best A Level' because seeing other people crumble around me and struggle to get in the 40s has really surprised me and made me appreciate that I made the right decision with my degree.

I thought university would be a lot harder than it is; and I'm not saying it won't get harder, I've just managed my time badly and put moderate amounts of work in but still come up with fairly consistent results.

I'm in a position which no-one around me really is, where due to coursework and midterm exams over the year I've already completed 2/3 of the year so my exams don't have much weight attached to them. Even better, I've done so well across the year I need to average around 62% in these exams (and handed in but unmarked coursework) to get a first this year.

Basically super glad and revision hasn't been horrible because 62% isn't too bad and even if I don't get it; I only need to pass my modules to get a 2i (Well average 36%, but still need to pass!)

Yay Psychology which I enjoy and isn't difficult (yet) ^_^

A lot of people last year took the route of "Oh I only need 40%, I won't bother trying" and have found this year really difficult as a result.

I did put effort in last year and finished the year with a 1st (even though it made no difference to my overall degree classification). I'm really glad I did that because this year the expectations were higher, the word counts were longer and it was just generally harder.

So far my marks haven't been confirmed by the Unit Assessment Board, and I don't have any of my exam marks back yet but all my coursework marks have been 1st's. So long as they stay at 1st level, and one of my exams is a 1st (fingers crossed!), I only need to get a 1st in one unit next year to get a 1st overall (based on 1 method of calculation). My uni got rid of January exams so all exams are done in May, meaning some people end up with 5 or 6 exams at the end of the year and nothing much else for the rest of the year (I got lucky and only had 2 :P).

Pretty happy with the position I'm in. The exams really stressed me out; I hope the stress was worth it!

My first year counted 10% if my overall degree. Pretty sure it's a Maths / Science thing at my uni; dunno if it's like that anywhere else...

I'm glad that it was like that. First year of a maths degree is so vital; you build the foundations for everything you need to know for the rest of your degree. If it wasn't like that, it would be too easy for so many people to coast along, think they could scrap 40%, then fail. What's more, you'd then spend more time ensuring everyone is comfortable with those building blocks, because many people won't ingrain such things in their brain like they should.

To be honest, I think that should be how things are across all unis and all subjects. I expect that some degrees don't rely on you being totally comfortable with the ins and outs that you learn in first year. I know that in some degrees (philosophy for example), you can get away with understanding very little in your first year, and hardly building on it at all for the rest of your degree (focusing on breadth rather than depth, essentially). But still, I think having that first year of your degree count for even 5-10% would make all the difference, give people incentive to work harder and make a university degree feel more valuable.