What is the point of forums?

ste193

I'm starting to get really tired and fed up with all forum websites, all they seem to be for is for people to mock and attack each other for expressing there opinions when they wouldn't like to be undermined themselves or mocked for there opinion.

I used to use digital spy and artl aswell but they both just go irritating and tiresome with all the bitching and sniping if not every comment it was every other comment, so is this all forums are for?

I thought they were supposed to be for people to express there opinions freely?

Forums are about listening to other peoples opinions, responding and having reasonable discussions with like minded people who share the same interests and are able to engage with others without taking offence. People who tend to put their fingers in their ears and say, 'No you're wrong, I'm right' tend not to last very long or even enjoy reading them..

Mostly I'd say they are a place for like minded people to come together and have an outlet that stops their real life friends wanting to kill them for offences against geekdom, but from the angle you are coming from...

I think rather than a place to express opinions as such (ie making statements of 'I like this, I don't like that') they are more a place to discuss things (ie having reasons behind opinions 'I like this because .... which I think makes it better than ... because ...'). Things get less pleasant when people think their opinion is fact, because trying to have a discussion with someone like that is like banging your head against a wall and can lead to the most placid people snapping and coming across rude and abrupt.

At least thats how I see it. Only my opinion though!

An Internet forum is a discussion area on a website. Website members can post discussions and read and respond to posts by other forum members. An forum can be focused on nearly any subject and a sense of an online community, or virtual community, tends to develop among forum members.

This type of forum may also called a message board, discussion group, bulletin board, or web forum, but it differs from a blog, the name for a web log, as a blog is usually written by one user and usually only allows for the responses of others to the blog material. A forum usually allows all members to make posts and start new topics.

An Internet forum is also different from a chat room. Members in a chat room usually all chat or communicate at the same time, while members in a discussion group post messages to be read by others whenever they happen to log on. Forums also tend to be more topic-focused than chat rooms. The point of a chat room or forum is to connect many like minded associates together to a happy medium.

From wise geek

This is definitely one of the most amicable forums I've ever been signed up to. There are no corrupt mods or evil cliques. It really isn't common in my experience to be signed up to a forum for a year and to have not had a single cussing match. And unlike other fan sites the theme park community doesn't seem to have that grey area that divides people into huge wars.

The internet forum is a good way to teach young children that not everyone will agree or like your opinion, unlike the comfort of your own family and the friends you have chosen; you're now mixed with people from many different backgrounds, upbringings, values and (most importantly here) opinions. The big 'O'.

It's always best to not come across as a whiny little bitch if someone doesn't like your opinion; you're not very special in the grand scheme of things so why can't you just let it go? Not everyone will like you, not everyone will understand you, not everyone will mind who they're speaking to.

I think self-importance is a big deal in this instance. If you're able to understand that you are only 1 in 7 billion people on this little spinning rock then I'm sure forums won't be that big of a deal.

But hey! I'm just a cynical, piss artist that stalks the internet forums. Don't listen to me.

This is definitely one of the most amicable forums I've ever been signed up to. There are no corrupt mods or evil cliques. It really isn't common in my experience to be signed up to a forum for a year and to have not had a single cussing match. And unlike other fan sites the theme park community doesn't seem to have that grey area that divides people into huge wars.

You have successfully avoided some of the things that have happened then! So congrats :D (Everything is in the past now though and we're back to good ol' TPM again.)

But seriously, every forum has its shortcomings. That's just what you get when you have people from so many different backgrounds - people will clash over opinions, some will consider their opinion fact, etc. I doubt a forum will ever be a place where everyone gets along due to similar interests, purely because of the whole opinion thing.

Age is also another thing to consider IMO. A young person may easily take offence to another member disagreeing with their opinion, and become upset and lash out because of it. The older member, having more life experience, will respond back in a polite, sensible way, but the younger member will not see this and just think the response is rude.

I think people just need to wake up realise that opinion =/= fact. If more people are able to do that then forums would be a much nicer place. Things have got a lot better on this forum recently. The one thing that cannot be controlled no matter how hard people try is the outside-of-forum bitchiness, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the forums, although it can occasionally spill over. It's just life, I guess.

But I LIKE mocking people when their opinion is wrong, it's a fun game <3

It's all about presentation, and how one presents their opinions (be they positive or negative) on the matter that make a difference on a forum, since body language is null and void...

If a poster comes in and says "Y ride is crap and should be replaced by Z ride because of well thought out and structured reasons" then that's fine really, perhaps a full blown discussion can come of that based on other people's opinion of Z ride if they've ridden one before or what they think of it from pictures/videos...

Then you get the "Y ride is crap and should be called crappy ride because of how crap it is lol" posts... Whilst Thorpe especially has had a wonderful history of the ride names being changed to Boretex, Zodicrap, Colossus, Nemesis Inferior, etc, I've always seen that as a harmless joke from those days where the only way to survive a day out at Thorpe was to make fun of it (because it wasn't helping itself)...

But just saying a ride is crap because I say so overall isn't a fact (although this is not applicable to Mean Streak, Sequioa Adventure and Bakken's Tornado), it's my opinion and if I just say something is crap because I think it is isn't the right way to go about having a discussion (unless of course your opinion on stuff is already established enough on the forums for people to understand the usual moans, like me and Intamin OTSRs)...

People are going to disagree, that's life, and there's no need to throw toys out the pram... Because if people act childish, then they get treated like a child... That's my take on things...

And it's just made me notice that TPM has a word filter for the term "Colos.sucks"...

Amazing <3

ha, this reminds me of the times of 'Winferno' and 'Failiac', which I think resulted in the filtering of win and fail :lol:

As for what the point of forums is. Pretty much what everyone else has said - where people who share similar interests discuss news of said interest, as well as share and discuss their opinions. What adds to forums is when the members within them are friendly and make good posts, which usually involves being respectful of other people's opinions, whilst providing their own opinions with explanations of their reasons.

However, I'd say the biggest 'point' about the forum is that everyone enjoys themselves. People can have a laugh (which we see on here, for example, through the humour-filled posts that come about on a regular basis), have a bit of banter, whilst getting the opportunity to discuss something they're passionate about, and maybe even make some friends. If no one were to enjoy a forum, then it wouldn't be a good or worthwhile forum.