Scarefest

JoshC.

I'm off on Tuesday 22nd, I'm hoping this day should be quiet - I don't think the schools are on half term at that point?

I'm there as well then... I would like to think it would be pretty quiet, although doubt it would be quiet otherwise they wouldn't put the event on for that week, and then to reverse the decision to close at 7 instead of 9 as so many people complained - so I'm not getting my hopes up, but as far as I am aware majority of schools are on half term the week after, so should at least be the quieter of the two weeks! :)

Which are the free and which are the paid for Scarefest attractions?
Oh and the busiest ones? I need tips and tactics since I'm going on Sunday 3rd Nov!

zombie scare zone, and carnival of screams are free this year... zombies barely had a queue at any time last year as it is a scarezone which you walk through freely and has a large throughput of people.

can't comment on the others, as carnival of screams was paid last year, and terror of the towers was the free one... but is paid for, along with the sanctuary (again)

Scarefest Construction 13 October 2013. Sorry for the poorer than usual quality of photos. The weather was atrocious.

Firstly, HQ seems to have been halloweened.

P1090632.JPG

There are a host of new flags flying over the entrance, all scarefesty in their splendour.

P1090628.JPG

Once in the park, each of the grassy areas has had wooden posts erected.

P1090623.JPG

On the ground in a number of places is SC. Obviously some Stoke fan hooligans have been in the park. I think that this area is going to get set up in the next day or so.

P1090624.JPG

Odly some of the lights on Towers Street have had all except one of their bally things removed.

P1090613.JPG

One of the froggies seems to be vomiting blood. There has been a red light placed under him that lights up the water as it jets out of his mouth. By the end of the day, as dusk descended it started looking quite cool.

P1090619.JPG

Carnival entrance now set up and looking as disturbing as usual. I do love this entrance.

P1090180.JPG

The fencing around it state this.

P1090181.JPG

Sneaking a naughty peak over the fence you see

P1090178.JPG

The back side of the frontage looks like

P1090179.JPG

The golfing side of the maze now looks like this.

P1090174.JPG

The other side, behind the plate smash is much more interesting though. An old banner is being used as the roof.I wonder if this ties into the story or is simply a blue peter special.

P1090175.JPG

Looking through that gateway (which was open) you can see. Hmm where did that shipping container come from. Well it wouldn't be Merlin without one.

P1090176.JPG

What's going on in Zombie? I hear you ask

P1090160.JPG

and if you look towards the right you see

P1090162.JPG

The other end has quite an interesting grey tent built.

P1090171.JPG

which, oddly, seemed quite long.

P1090173.JPG

and to the right of the gate, Christmas is still here and in the distance you can see, so is the bus.

P1090168.JPG

Elsewhere - Fountain square now has this fine erection.

P1090164.JPG

TOTT & Sanctuary now has lighting

P1090166.JPG

Nemesis's bus seems to have re-developed wind.

P1090275.JPG

Sub Terra now has lighting in the queue line

P1090269.JPG

Log flumes lights have been fixed and are now on.

P1090361.JPG

OOOO we have coloured lighting

P1090378.JPG

And the path to the car park has also gained lights.

P1090631.JPG

Finally, the hated ones are congregating in the overflow bus park, plotting their destruction of all mood though-out the park.

P1090634.JPG

The hypocrisy being of course, that Chessington closes at 7pm, after barely an hour of proper darkness, while Alton Towers and Thorpe open until 9/10pm.

Still, looking forward to Scarefest this year. The use of Fountain Square to be a sort of 'hub' of activity will be great, as it will spread the Scarefest mood throughout the park more.

I think Scarefest was a highlight of the year for me... it was incredible! I can't put into words why, maybe because it was my first Alton Towers trip in the dark, maybe because of Scarefest but something about the atmosphere, mazes, lighting... Just felt so amazing.

All three mazes scared the living daylights out of me, some scenes was just so intense I didn't know what was real anymore, and The Smiler in the dark front row! :wub:

I'll explain more detail in a trip report Wednesday, but just wow, if you've never been Scarefest before, I suggest you go, ASAP. :P