Scarefest

JoshC.

Official announcement made: https://www.altontowers.com/things-to-do/scarefest/

Possible spoilers..

-Sub Species will split you up, and has two possible endings. Sounds very much inspired by Experiment 10. Actors also touch you.

-The Haunting of Molly Crow blindfolds you for the majority of the experience. It'll be interesting to see how that experience turns out.

No real new details, and no news exactly where the new mazes will be.

Just a thought...

During Scarefest, they re-name the hotels (ATH = The Witches Haunt Inn & SLH = Patches Pumpkin Pad) and theme them to Halloween, do you think Alton has anything planned for the Enchanted Village? I hope so... It would look amazing to see the village all decorated for Halloween, maybe even pay homage to a very famous scare attraction that once resided on that field...

I really hope they do!  :wub:

Alton Towers posted this on Facebook a few minutes ago regarding The Haunting of Molly Crowe:

This time of year there is always a large number of crows that gather on the Theme Park - it has been happening for years and no-one knows why. Documents found in our archive recently have revealed the chilling truth. These details are not for the faint-hearted - leave a comment on this picture if you'd like to know and we'll reveal the details of Molly Crowe...

11887991_10153445725186201_8577441036719

It was a nice attempt with the photoshopping though... ;)

Am I the only who doesn't really care about the mehness of the photoshop?  Presumably, it's not a signature image for the attraction and just a little teaser to tide people over before they revealed the more important bit advertising for the maze, which coincidentally happens to be this neat little video...

Am I the only who doesn't really care about the mehness of the photoshop?  Presumably, it's not a signature image for the attraction and just a little teaser to tide people over before they revealed the more important bit advertising for the maze, which coincidentally happens to be this neat little video...

Yes, the photo is awful, that's all that can be said about it really. I'm not being rude, I think Merlin would love you to work for them with your skill of always finding a way to rationally defend poor work. :P

Thank goodness for the video which is wonderful and really the MINIMUM standard a promo video for a UK theme park should be.

Yes, the photo is awful, that's all that can be said about it really. I'm not being rude, I think Merlin would love you to work for them with your skill of always finding a way to rationally defend poor work. :P

I'm not really defending it, I agree it's a very mehly done Photoshop, but I just don't think it matters that much. It's not meant to be something that's remembered, and it'll be forgotten about by 99% of people by tomorrow (if they even remember it today).

You're not wrong and of course it will be forgotten, but it's clearly very out of touch with what actually intrigues and attracts people. It shows they spent about 1 minute making it and think 'that will do, nobody will care tomorrow anyway'. Whereas there are many people out there who would love the opportunity to entertain and excite people with little promo teases like this and would put in the right effort.

I'm not really defending it, I agree it's a very mehly done Photoshop, but I just don't think it matters that much. It's not meant to be something that's remembered, and it'll be forgotten about by 99% of people by tomorrow (if they even remember it today).

I disagree.  Promotional teasers are vital to the success of an attraction and if done right can stick in people's minds for days, this is nothing short of shoddy and yes, people will have forgotten it by tomorrow, but only because it is so poorly done.

The way I'm seeing it is that the promotional teaser for Molly Crowe is that video, which is very nicely done. Anything else before then was unnecessary teasing to the teaser. If they hadn't posted that photo (and the diary entry which hasn't even been posted on here!), it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to the advertising of the attraction and - arguably most importantly - the attraction itself.

I find it almost gobsmacking that people are complaining about one picture posted on social media in all honesty. There's wanting the best for parks, and then there's ferocious nitpicking in my opinion!

I find it almost gobsmacking that people are complaining about one picture posted on social media in all honesty. There's wanting the best for parks, and then there's ferocious nitpicking in my opinion!

It's not nitpicking though, it looks as though they couldn't be bothered to create a good photo.  This is the supposed UK's leading theme park we're talking about, it just looks very badly done IMO.

Surely the nitpicking is in the thinking of how many ways this naff picture is excusable? I'm sure everyone's gut feeling upon seeing this picture was that it was just daft.

You shouldn't be that surprised that people speak up about it, and if people didn't then this quality would just become the standard.

Personally I don't really care about it because it's just the standard I pessimisticslly expect this time of year. The video surprises me though because it isn't some 'have a go' lunch time project and they actually got a team to make it properly.

It's just a bad picture, it doesn't have feelings so let it go

It's interesting to see that Scarefest has a real adult feel to it this year, I mean we have the family posters/entertainment but they're really pushing the scare mazes and extreme experiences this year...

Could it be Alton trying to get thrill seekers back into the park? As many have been put off visiting this summer. 

regarding the photoshopping: I think I am with ElectricBill on this but slightly more insensed.

Minor rant ahead.

The main problem, that I can see with not only Merlin but possably the british attitude to a lot of things is the statement 'ohh that will do'. It is the acceptance of poor-medeocre as being of merit (only way is essex for example). Merlin has, supposedly, a world leading team of designers and creators, designing and creating every aspect of your theme park experience.

If something is released as a publicity image then it should be at least good if not exceptional. It should convey the whole attraction. If this were a cartoon based attraction where the style was badly cut out birds then this would be fine. It is a horror maze and meant to be forboding.

So when I saw that image, all I saw was the badly cut out and scaled birds, and not a moody and tantalising tit bit. So what went through my head was 'oh come on, if this is the standard the maze is going to take then I am not sure I can be bothered to go."

So in summery I wil just shout - Oy Merlin... Alton Towers is meant to be the UK's Premier Theme park. Come on, start acting like you are advertising it as such and not your mates back garden BBQ.