Scarefest

JoshC.

2 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

TOTT is returning?

giphy.gif.52d570fba9e892fdbd379c5865a23a1c.gif

Anyway besides TOTT I'm glad Sub Species and Altonville Mine Tours are both returning, as both attractions were IMO two of the strongest mazes I did last year!

I really like the theming, costumes, length, and the touch scares at Alton, it really makes the mazes on another level compared to other events.

House Of Monsters also seemed to be a good effort for the younger children, so I think that as well as Freakshow will round out the lineup.

A fourth maze is very exciting though, I wonder if its going to be a freebie ?

And I'm puzzled to where there gonna put it- as the Towers seem jammed enough as it is with 3 mazes in it, and the old location of Carnival Of Screams/Scary Tales is now kinda occupied by the scarezone.

My best guess would be where Zombie Scare Zone used to be, but I'm not too sure that even could even fit a maze.

I would love an outside scare zone through the gardens but it would never happen :-(

There are possible locations available that are not in the towers themselves it wouldnt be the first maze that towers have used in a marquee for. 

"Altonville Mine Tours: Uncover the Legend of the Skinsnatchers" might just be the most long-winded, inappropriate and unnecessary name for a theme park attraction ever. Why not just call it "Skinsnatchers"? It's scary, snappy and easy to remember. 

"Altonville Mine Tours" just sounds like some freebee tourist attraction. 

Why is TOTT returning... why... just why!!?? With it now being shortened it just doesn't feel as good; the bridge scene was one of the best parts for me in '15! 

Sub Species and AMT I'm very happy about! Both are fantastic attractions, it's no surprise they kept them! 

A new maze! Yay! I reckon it'll have a link to SW8, same as they did for The Smiler. As others pointed out though, I have no clue where they would put it? 

I imagine TotT is returning in (more or less) its current guise because the majority of the budget is going into the new maze.  After 2 pretty big years for Scarefest, it's not surprising that there's a quiet year now.

Still a shame mind, since if my 2012 run is indicative of a standard run, it's very average.

I'm seeing a lot of people band the SW8 tie in idea about for the new maze.  One would hope that isn't the case, as it either means we're getting another overly dark scary theme for a family coaster, or a family maze being over-hyped as a scary.  

I've seen some suggestions of Sub Terra being used to house a maze.  Not sure if that'd be feasible, but could definitely provide a nice setting for a maze (albeit very short by Towers' standards).

If the new maze is up to the quality levels of recent stuff then I wouldn't say it's a quiet year. And TotT is having a slight layout change it seems so not all the same. They're definitely still growing Scarefest and I'd rather 4 mazes with just 1 average one than 3 mazes. Especially as Terror is better than some of the stuff Thorpe is capable of producing.

I do think this will be one of the bigger years for the Towers, especially that they are ramping up to 4 main mazes.

Plus with the stage, the Ancestors, and House Of Monsters, I do think Scarefest has a very solid lineup this year.

The new maze will probably be good though, judging from the parks recent efforts with SkinSnatchers and Sub Species both winning awards at Scarecon.

The location of the new maze is quite interesting though.

There is actually rumours about Sub-Terrible being used for a maze, which could work I guess, though I do think the Scary Tales/COS location has a higher chance of being used for the new maze.

Though it could be in the Towers I guess, actually, looking at it, Alton have tons of spaces for mazes, it could be anywhere!

On 12 August 2017 at 7:40 PM, MilesK said:

Why is TOTT returning... why... just why!!?? With it now being shortened it just doesn't feel as good; the bridge scene was one of the best parts for me in '15! 

Sub Species and AMT I'm very happy about! Both are fantastic attractions, it's no surprise they kept them! 

A new maze! Yay! I reckon it'll have a link to SW8, same as they did for The Smiler. As others pointed out though, I have no clue where they would put it? 

Oooh an SW8 linked maze could be fab! 

The new maze will indeed have an SW8 link, and will be called...

The Welcoming: Be Chosen 

https://www.altontowers.com/activities/events/scarefest/thrilling-frights/#mazes

A mysterious group who worship the woods and the animals that live therein like Gods have been disturbed. Every year they host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween - the crossing of the worlds of the living and the dead. For the first time they have allowed outsiders to celebrate with them. But what part will you (‘the outsiders’) play in this ritual? Is this really an initiation?

The maze has a £8 charge (£6.40 AP holders).  No idea where it'll be mind, though time slots can only be booked from 5:30 onwards, suggesting it might be partially outdoors?

Edit:  beaten to it but meh. 

Towers have always charged for mazes.  Yes, it's true that they used to have a free maze, but any new maze has always been an upcharge, so I don't get why people are kicking up a fuss that this follows suit?

The reality is that Towers charge £20 for 3 mazes (so £6.66 a maze), and those mazes have time slots available from 1-9pm.  This maze costs £8, but has much stricter availability (5.30-9pm).  So the extra charge compared to other mazes make sense in that respect - they've created a more limited experience, which should reflect in the quality, and so are charging more to reflect this.  Of course, it means that Towers have set themselves a bar to reach (if it's not worth the £8, people will be disappointed), but that's a risk they'll have to take.

Of course, it's frustrating that there is no free maze (especially since TotT is largely not as good as others, based on reviews I've read at least), but I imagine it'd be a nightmare trying to organise it with 3 mazes in such close proximity to each other.  And yeah, £28 is a lot of money for the mazes, but I guess those interested in doing it will likely book in advance (£58 for park entry plus 4 guaranteed mazes isn't atrocious when you consider you'd pay similar at Thorpe), or be passholders and get it for £22.40 - and little over £5 a maze isn't bad.

I do think the prices are little too steep though, and now pretty much everything is an upcharge, and expensive at that!

The new maze on second thought though I do have hope for, yes it is expensive, but I'm gonna put some faith in the Towers as Sub Species/Altonville Mine Tours/Molly Crowe seems to be the kinda standard Alton have been giving out recently, and if it is up to standard of those mazes, then I guess it'll be worth the money.

Furthermore,  The Sanctuary was tied into SW7, was that maze a cash grab?

The Sanctuary actually enlightened some of the backstory for The Smiler, and it stood on its own right as a strong attraction.

So I hope this will do something similar, as the concept for The Sanctuary was genius IMO, shame I got a few badly acted run throughs back in 2014.

Terror Of The Towers on the other hand I do think needs to go.. soon..

Look it was actually pretty good back in 2015, with some great scares, though it doesn't hide the fact it is a very old attraction, and 2016 was probably its weakest year yet, with the maze feeling short compared to previous years, and the finale had like 1 actor on my run throughs..

Though I guess if they change the route around again maybe it'll have another good year, though I think at this point it really should just be scrapped.

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting..

I think Alton had a lot of options on where to put it, but I wasn't expecting the Courtyard at all.

I'm not all that clued up on memory on how big the area is,  though I'm worried if this is gonna feel short compared to the other three..

Also this doesn't open to like 5:30, so I think this might have a outside section? Though it seems like its gonna indoor based? Interesting.

4 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I'm not all that clued up on memory on how big the area is,  though I'm worried if this is gonna feel short compared to the other three..

Also this doesn't open to like 5:30, so I think this might have a outside section? Though it seems like its gonna indoor based? Interesting.

Its hard to say so early on, but it could go either way; it could be 'open topped' or it could be enclosed; however, either way I recon it's more difficult for them to shield the light using just a wood-frame structure than how they block out the Towers' windows / how attractions like Big Top are presented. Equally the courtyard is a fair size. Its hard to really vision it but if it's stripped clear and space is being cleverly used it's probably not too dis-similar to the footprint (if laid differently) of Big Top IMO.

One thing is for sure it's a strange layout so far from the framework. Seemingly a few large 'rooms' and some tucked in which seem quite big for an actor corridor / jump scare; but illogical for part of a route - unless this maze is going to divide you out like Sub etc. But again, early days so hard to make any judgements.

I think if (hopefully) Alton play their cards right and use the space wisely this could be a fairly long maze (obviously probably not as long as the other three).

Now don't get me wrong a Big Top size maze could be great, but Big Top is on the short side, and £8 for a short-ish maze is pretty much daylight robbery.

I do find the description of the maze a tad odd considering how its shaping up in construction though..

"A mysterious group who worship the woods and the animals that live therein like Gods have been disturbed. Every year they host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween"

Nobody would of guessed a concept like that would be placed in the Courtyard? For sure I would of guessed in Gloomy Wood/Haunted Hollow or somewhere in that space.

Anyway I think only time will tell with this one.

1 hour ago, JoshuaA said:

Nobody would of guessed a concept like that would be placed in the Courtyard? For sure I would of guessed in Gloomy Wood/Haunted Hollow or somewhere in that space.

Its solely going to be there through the combination of it being opposite SW8 and with the courtyard being a vacant space. If you wanted to be sceptical you could dispute that Sub Species should be in X Sector due to it's 'ahead of time' storyline which kind of escapes me as everybody seems to talk through that damn pre-show.

EDIT: Or FV as it's aliens / sewer mutants. To be honest, I don't really understand Sub.

With my comment I kinda meant that the "A mysterious group who worship the woods and the animals that live therein like Gods have been disturbed. Every year they host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween" description as well as the later opening really had me convinced this would be an outside attraction set in Gloomy Wood/Haunted Hallow

There has been rumours of a scare attraction around that area for a couple of years, so I did kinda presume it would maybe be set in Haunted Hallow which passes very near to SW8 anyway.

Sub Species yes probably would fit FV more theme wise, but there really isn't any space I could think of logically that could house an attraction in that area of the park.

On second thought the Courtyard I guess makes sense considering it is fairly close to SW8.

Though The Sanctuary ended up in The Towers.. Oh and they plonked up a Clown Scarezone next to a Family Coaster last year.

I think its very hard to predict the location of Scare Attractions at Scarefest, as The Towers do have undeniably quite a few options.