Scarefest

JoshC.

5 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

With my comment I kinda meant that the "A mysterious group who worship the woods and the animals that live therein like Gods have been disturbed. Every year they host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween" description as well as the later opening really had me convinced this would be an outside attraction set in Gloomy Wood/Haunted Hallow

There has been rumours of a scare attraction around that area for a couple of years, so I did kinda presume it would maybe be set in Haunted Hallow which passes very near to SW8 anyway.

Completely understood.

To follow that up it was tried in 2007 and 2008; Haunted Hollow Live. Which was pretty much dropped in favour of Duel: Live after its trial in 2008 (eventually becoming Skelvin's). I believe they also tried Hex: Live at one point (?) none of which really stuck. Which is a shame, as my first Scarefest was in 2010 and I really enjoyed Duel: Live/Skelvin's :(

I understand that the current Freak Show Scare Zone didn't fit last year; but; I kind of loved it? I really like the new set-up they've got with the scarezones in that they're just there on the path. I just wish there was more personally!

• 2 weeks later...

Towerstimes just posted some pictures of construction on The Welcoming.

Image may contain: outdoor

So I think it looks pretty interesting.

I guess most of this will be outside with the wooden walls shaping the layout?

Shame about Duel Live and Haunted Hollow live, though I think the park right now has overall a decent lineup for Scarefest.

I do think they should make House Of Monsters or at least one maze free though next year, as doing all 5 mazes is pretty expensive.

Though I guess in Sub Species/Skin Snatchers case its worth the money, but it would be nice to see something free on the lineup other than Freakshow.

I really hope (if done) the hooded element will only be a section of the maze as there is so much a hooded maze can do IMO.

I guess Molly Crowe was pretty nicely executed though, so the hooded element on here will probably be no different.

Molly Crowe really did set up a story and an atmosphere with its audio and effects, so I hope Alton bring some of that back here.

I do hope they have some non hooded sections though, as the hooded element can get dull if done for too long like Hellements..

As someone who quite enjoyed Haunting of Molly Crowe, I would not be too much against Welcoming using hoods for a portion of it. I agree that hooded mazes can be quite hit (Molly Crowe and The Hunted at xtreme scream park) and miss (Hellements and the passing) but when they are well done then they can be quite unnerving experiences especially the ones where the actors are allowed to actually touch you (Hunted last year I had actors literally trying to pull me off the rope). Alton Towers have smashed it out of the park with recent scare mazes and I have every faith this will be yet another to add to that list. On another note, I am really excited to see what changes have been made to the existing mazes as so far I’ve heard that Terror of the towers will have its “scares upped” so I anticipate they will allow actors to touch like in the other two and The Altonville Mine Tour will have it’s ending sorted out which was what let it down last year. Looks like it will be another

strong scarefest!!

I'm going to Scarefest for the first time this year - the only other scare attractions I have done is Fright Nights, Howloween (not sure if that really counts) and the London Death Trap thing that used to be where the Dungeons now are.  Also doing Tulleys in a few weeks.

Might sound lame but I'm kinda nervous as TP mazes don't scare me much - but even when I did them for the first time I had to take a fair amount of anxiety meds.  I'm not keen on have something over my head either because I can just imagine it's gonna end with me falling over ? 

So yeah - can anyone just give me a bit of advice regarding anxiety.  Also I say TP mazes don't scare me but my last run through of Big Top actually did and I ran out of that thing (I never ever run) - it was the guy with the chainsaw - he had a menacing look about him so now I'm anxious about chainsaws ?

I'm going to Scarefest for the first time this year - the only other scare attractions I have done is Fright Nights, Howloween (not sure if that really counts) and the London Death Trap thing that used to be where the Dungeons now are.  Also doing Tulleys in a few weeks.
Might sound lame but I'm kinda nervous as TP mazes don't scare me much - but even when I did them for the first time I had to take a fair amount of anxiety meds.  I'm not keen on have something over my head either because I can just imagine it's gonna end with me falling over [emoji23] 

So yeah - can anyone just give me a bit of advice regarding anxiety.  Also I say TP mazes don't scare me but my last run through of Big Top actually did and I ran out of that thing (I never ever run) - it was the guy with the chainsaw - he had a menacing look about him so now I'm anxious about chainsaws [emoji23]

That's probably not the best idea. Tulley's can be super intense, and Towers was one of the scariest things I've ever done, last year. Sub Species was terrifying, and I don't scare easily at all. If you're really that desperate, start with TotT, but personally, I don't think I'd recommend it. Loads of chainsaws at both events. I don't want to sound rude, my main concern is that you'll have a huge anxiety attack which could be really harmful for you.
Avoid Sub Species, they can and will split you off from the rest of the group and make you go through alone. Stay safe!

57 minutes ago, Han30 said:

So yeah - can anyone just give me a bit of advice regarding anxiety.  Also I say TP mazes don't scare me but my last run through of Big Top actually did and I ran out of that thing (I never ever run) - it was the guy with the chainsaw - he had a menacing look about him so now I'm anxious about chainsaws ?

I would have to agree with the post above when it comes to Sub Species.

I don't scare easily at all though Sub Species is truly the most intense maze I've been in.

I was alone for a lot of it, I was pushed like a rag-doll by actors, and the maze has everything from open spaces, pitch black sections, to crawling sections.

Though you'll probably be fine with TOTT, as its generally a LOT tamer than Sub Species.

Skin Snatchers might be okay, though there is quite a lot of touch scares and some separation, but its not as bad as Sub Species.

I think Tulleys though will be fine for you though. 

I find the event a lot more light-hearted than the Towers in that a lot of their mazes are more fun than scary, though if you have anxiety about chainsaws I recommend giving Chop Shop a miss. 

Chop Shop is literally 5 minutes of creepy looking actors throwing themselves at you with chainsaws..:lol:

Thanks for the responses guys - Tulleys and Scarefest is all booked and I don't want to wuss out so I think my best option is anxiety meds and hope for the best - usually with me its the thought of things that's the worse - as for chainsaws I used to like them until my last run through on Big Top but the dude at the end was very good with his acting

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I've been a long time Scarefest visitor (11 years I've only missed 1) since I was 13.

My 14-year-old brother wants to come this year for the first time - he loves horror.

I asked Alton Towers and they said it's strictly 15+. Shame as he is 15 in April. Surely if we buy him an adult ticket (which is 15+) he will be able to go in the scare mazes? He is tall and could get away with looking over 14.

1 hour ago, tommboi said:

Hi guys, I've been a long time Scarefest visitor (11 years I've only missed 1) since I was 13.

My 14-year-old brother wants to come this year for the first time - he loves horror.

I asked Alton Towers and they said it's strictly 15+. Shame as he is 15 in April. Surely if we buy him an adult ticket (which is 15+) he will be able to go in the scare mazes? He is tall and could get away with looking over 14.

If he looks 15, you'll probably get away with it.

I went back in 2015 (I was 13) and got away with it, though people say I look old as hell.

If they ask just say he is 15, and it should be fine.

They can't really ask a 15 year old for ID.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Scarefest yesterday
What a disappointment.
None of the mazes were even close to as scary as last year, the groups being batched were far too big and we ended up bottle necking on Sub Species. Everything was just meh.
The Welcoming was a lot of build up to the most anticlimactic ending of any maze I've ever done.
Sigh.

I went over Saturday/Sunday and overall Sub Species and Skin Snatchers were great, TOTT was passable, and The Welcoming had a brilliant first half but completely fell flat at the end.
I had one actor get very handsy with me in Mine Tours, like grabbing my cheeks and saying how nice and chubby they were and I was in fits of laughter, great fun, but not scary...

I gotta say  Mine Tours was by far more creepy than scary this year but it still got some great scares out of me, and the theming really sells the atmosphere for me.

I do have to say it seems the queues were getting a little big on Saturday Night, though it seemed under control and it didn't spoil my run throughs.

Hopefully TOTT goes next year though, as holy crap is that maze starting to get stale.

I went to Scarefest on Monday, and to be honest I felt that this year wasn't so good compared to previous.

Sub Species was okay. I had a bad run I think. There weren't many actors, I ended up going the shortest route through the maze and the chainsaw guy did nothing. There was one actor who completely abused me though!

Altonville Mines was nowhere near as good as last year, but still great! The theming is still outstanding, but there were not enough actors, there were LOTS of dead spots.

Terror of the Towers was pretty good. It's exactly the same but it made me jump loads!

I loved The Welcoming though. It wasn't overly scary, but as an experience it was excellently put together. Definitely could have done with a better ending however..

Went to my first Scarefest on Thursday and was really impressed with how the park was decorated.

We did all the mazes with the exception of the kids one (myself and @Roodie are nearing 40 so gave  that one a miss)

There was no queue for the mazes though we did do them early - TOTT was pretty good but I didn't find it particularly scary - but the length of the maze and the actors was worth it.

Then we headed to Sub Species which was the one I was anxious about - had pretty bad anxiety during my time at Towers so before the mazes I took a couple of anxiety meds - genuinely thought I would be fine as I've done all of Thorpes mazes this year plus Tulleys (and at Tulleys myself and @roodie went through creepy cottage, the cellar and chop shop on our own as it was quiet).  I can honestly say (and maybe I'm being a wimp) that Sub Species is the only maze that has really affected me - I'm not exaggerating when I say that I ran out of that maze, stopped and burst into tears whilst battling both a panic attack and asthma attack.  And when I say burst into tears I was pretty much howling (thank god we went through early and there was not many people outside ?)

From the moment the video at the beginning finished I was edgy then it just got worse getting pulled through a door in complete darkness - I found this maze scary because you are deliberately separated from the people you are with and isolated in darkness - at one point I just stopped, could see naff all and started panicking/swearing then an actor appeared and pushed me forwards.  But the icing on the cake was when having met up with Roodie towards the end of the maze we headed to the exit - the actor at the end knew I was bricking it - he looked me square in the eyes, I knew what was going to happen - he smirked a little then chased me out with his chuffing chainsaw.  I've been chased with a chainsaw before but that actor was good and the build up towards it had made me bloody edgy.  In that respect Sub Species is fantastic as it achieved (for me anyway) what a scare maze should do - genuinely don't know if I could do that one again as I felt so vulnerable in there - although maybe it was worse as my anxiety hadn't been great that day.  Definitely worth doing and I'm glad I did it but I was pretty surprised at my reaction and felt a bit silly afterwards ?

The other maze we did after (mine tours) was good - and the actors in there were brilliant 

I'm not sure what to say about The Welcoming - when we got there we were handed what I initially thought was a pair of pants (it was a hood ?).  What they have done with that area is amazing and the maze itself is brilliantly themed and it's a decent length - but the hooded section just felt a bit meh - having done the hooded maze at Tulleys a couple of weeks ago (and never done a hooded one before then) I actually found it less scary and more sweaty(!).  The Welcoming was good and it had some good jumpy moments but it felt like it could have been better though I don't know how (if that makes sense) - the ending just sort of didn't feel complete - so it kind of felt like this big build up....to not a lot.  Definitely worth doing but not particularly scary

The mazes this year definitely feel weaker and more toned down this year compared to last (Sub Species and Altonville mine certainly feel less hands on) maybe this is due to stupid guest complaints but nonetheless it is a shame that that’s the case. The quality of the mazes still outshine Fright Nights in my opinion (Sub Species may be toned down but it’s still more intense than any fright night maze) and the park wide theming and roaming actors is still something I’d love to see Thorpe pay attention to. Not scarefests finest year but certainly still the strongest merlin Halloween event. Next year however I would like to see Terror of the towers finally get some work done to it as for as fun a maze as it is, it does seem to get weaker and weaker as the years go on. I’d also quite like to see Sub Species maybe get a retheme or something to freshen it up and most importantly I’d like to see the actors go back to the intensity they had for the previous two years as it was that intensity that made Scarefest really lead the way in terms of Halloween events.

• 6 months later...

Was lucky enough to be able to experience House of Monsters and Skin Snatchers today, as part of ScareCon. Haven't been to Scarefest for a few years so was nice to be able to experience these (and they weren't really any different to how they were last year apparently, so I get a fair reflection of how they are).

House of Monsters is an absolutely brilliant attraction. Towers are onto an absolute winner with it; it's perfect for families and has the right balance of theatre, humour and scares to be executed perfectly. Perhaps not something suited to be re-done which may affect it in a couple more years without scene changes, but still a very clever attraction!

Skin Snatchers is a great concept, especially with the helmets supplied by Haunted Lanterns. I was fortunate enough to be given one, and despite being a bit heavy at first, it was a great way to add suspense to the attraction, not only to me, but others around me. The story is a bit loose (you're going on a tour in a mine, and there's someone who will be in their underpants, but I wasn't quite sure why exactly people were wanting to snatch my skin?), but the scares come thick and fast, and the actors were interactive. The maze is surprisingly short, in a "I really wish there was more to it" sort of way, which isn't helped by the ending being rather lacklustre, although having a shotgun pointed in my face was a tad unnerving.

So yeah, was nice to be able to experience some Scarefest attractions. Well themed with fantastic actors, and it's obvious to see why the event has done so well lately. Hopefully the good times continue for the park!

• 1 month later...

TotT has needed to go for a while now, the issue is that last year it was the best maze Towers had to offer.
It had gotten a bit of a refurb a couple of years back, but did feel somewhat stale. Definitely a needed change.
Now all they need to ensure is that they're not batching groups of 13 onto the mazes, too many cooks and all that.