Scarefest

JoshC.

Review 21st - 23rd Contains spoilers

Back from a few days on park so heres a review, all the days merged into one though so I cant be specific on days ha ha!!

Firstly, theming on park is the bees knees as always!! Pumkins, scarecrows, haybails, lighting, the works!! Puts thorpe park to shame!! Also, "spooky" music played non stop, although it was the same few songs on repeat so got a little sick of hearing things like the time warp every 15 mins or so!!

Carnival of Screams:

Now, this maze never really scares me. I just find it fun. I liked that the layout was different this year but the ending was pretty poor. I'm guessing we were meant to run out scared, but there were too many people in my group and noone could find the exit. The actor playing Jack couldnt chase us as the room was packed to the brim and he clearly didnt want to push us out!!

A good maze, still fun but not very scary.

TOTT:

I thought this maze was more impressive in previous years. I liked the theming, but the actors sadly let it down. Their costumes were amazing but they struggled to pull of any jump scares. If the actors were able to touch us I think it would have been better. The only time my group jumped was when the curtains blew in the wind!

The final was a let down. The music inside was building up like it was going to be something truely amazing, but we walked into the room to find one actor. He tried his best bless him but there was not much he could really do trying to work the whole room by himself. We left the maze thinking 'that was it?!'

Sanctuary:

I liked this - the actors were hilarious!! Take my hat off to the first man we came across who set the scene of the maze before letting us through the door. He was so good at acting. Then when we went through the door the first patient we ame across was also amazing. He had us all in stitches because he was acting like a small child who the doctor then told off and he burst into tears and tried to follow us to get away from him!!

The rooms had good theming and at least 3 times the amount of actors that TOTT had. Although I loved this maze, it was meant to be a scary attraction and my entire group just found the whole thing funny. The actors were not trying to scare us they were acting and bouncing off each other, almost like they were acting out mini scenes of a movie. It wored well because all of the rooms made sense and it was like watching a movie, it just lacked any sense of horror.

I'd do it again, it was the best of the 3 mazes. It was a shame it just was not scary in the slightest.

I would have like to have done it as an 'extreme maze' but the tickets were sold out. If I'm paying to do a maze, I want to be scared. They need more 'extreme' tickets.

Zombies:

Theming was good and the actors make up was AMAZING. It just was not scary. Again, I think this would have been better if they could have touched us. They also didnt try to do any jump scares. They were just wandering around being zombies. Maybe this is the point in a zombies scare zone, but I've done this on other visits and had jump scares in there. This visit seemed lie more of an opportunity to admire their make up, which we did.

All in all, a very fun visit. Its just a shame it was meant to be scary!

Love to hear reviews on the extreme mazes if anyone was lucky enough to get tickets?

went on tuesday, and besides lighting which I had low expectations for anyway (due to my disappointment on my first scarefest last year), had a really great day!

most of the rides seemed to be behaving pretty much all day, besides 13 which had some considerable downtime in the afternoon.

having only done terror of the towers and zombie scarezone last year - was nice to try all of them out this year...

Carnival Of Screams was a good fun, and while queueing a bunch of clowns and actors came along outside the queue area talking to people, and scaring passers by, was absolutely hilarious and genuinely made my day - the maze itself wasn't too scary to be deemed 5 pumpkins, but definitely had a few good jump scares, and a great theme to it - the finale had everyone running out the exit which was opened by a member of staff from outside which definitely helped clear our group of 10 out!

The Sanctuary was disappointing in my opinion, going in with high expectations after reading peoples comments, and was great themeing (apart from the marmalisation chamber which was just awful), and was nice to see dr kelman, as well as some interesting actors, but I just couldn't seem to enjoy it that much, as well as what only felt like one actor in the final maze area (which wasn't even disorientating as there was barely any strobe lights), just a bit of a let down for me.

Terror of the towers was a solid scare maze again (and genuinely feels creepy as it uses the towers), and had quite a few jump scares, but love the effects of blowing curtains and air which can be scary without actors, the final strobe maze was also decent, plenty of actors, and noticed this year, there's no longer members of alton towers dressed staff at points around the maze stood by some stairs and fire exits, did see one dressed up by some steps but didn't do anything (guessing it was a staff member that would come into action if anything happened).

Zombie Scarezone didn't feel any longer than last year (as I thought I read somewhere that it was - but only was reversed), but without touching you, there was definitely some great interaction between the zombies and guests, especially some kid in the group in front of me who got cornered and got made to come out the entrance pretty much before coming back in and running past them - the length is a disappointment, but if I had the time would definitely have gone round a few more times as with the zombies roaming around it's different every time.

another highlight of my day, was when on ripsaw after a disappointing run (as ever) some people on the ride (who I'm guessing were speaking to the ride staff before I got on), we're shouting is that it, and without asking anyone sent it back off on another run, and got 4 inversions (even better than rameses!), and he controlled the water to get the people on the front row soaked, and left the back row as we didn't want to get wet!

there's just so much more potential to scarefest which could be improved significantly with minimal additions/changes and all comes down to pretty much one thing, the lighting! I understand it's a massive park to keep lit, and generators are almost inevitable, but why not put coloured lenses in front of the lights, seriously! the haunted hollow pathway has so much potential for scarefest, even if it doesn't include actors etc. at least the lighting could be coloured as it just consists of permanent floor lamposts throughout which doesn't add to the mood at all! the marmaliser lighting up the smiler was more than sufficient and looked cool as it's constantly changing colours, (why on earth wasn't the flasher working though as well as the innoculator and giggler!), but in general was ruined by a big stack of floodlights in the middle of xsector lighting it all up in a plain white, same with sonic spinball, and dark forest (although there was an odd green floodlight, and 13 in pitch black is great), and most of forbidden valley - got excited when I seen a red lense over a floodlight on nemesis in the day, to find out in night, it was pretty much the only coloured floodlight in the whole of forbidden valley, and you could barely even see the red shining on to the loop as there was so much other light from plain floodlights lighting the ride up! urghh need to stop getting annoyed with lighting, even thorpe was a bit of a disappointment this year, really hope chessington deliver again!

Will it even be dark to see if Chessie's lighting is any good?

Problem is without getting a budget (or people with a desire) to have decent set of lighting, we aren't going to have any improvements... Though really, I can never seem to get the same level of rage towards floodlights that other enthusiasts seem to be able to...

Came back from Alton last night after what was a busy day at the park in particular the evening but overall a solid event for the park.

Carnival of Screams I hadn't enjoyed since year one, when the finale was brilliant and the maze was of a good length. Yet it was great to see that the majority of this maze had been shifted around with a new finale, which although could have been better is a 100% improvement on previous years. Great actors of which many roaming the queue lines and really interacting with guests, it's not scary scary but is great fun.

Terror of the Towers has become stale, whilst we noticed a few minor tweaks it's not enough to save the fact then generally this maze hasn't changed over the past 4 seasons and to the regular visitor just doesn't do it any more. The actors in the final scene we good but the start relied more on noises and smoke rather than actors to get the cheap scares, disappointed.

The Sanctuary was amazing as always, one of the best put together mazes in the country with dark patches in the bed ward, to creepy depths of the towers to the light hearted white rooms it combines perfectly the story and works really well. Fantastic selection of actors who also interact with you to high standards.

Zombie Scare Zone was fun, much like Blair Witch if you expect too much you will be disappointed. One where you can film again the actors will play to the cameras and genuine hiding places allow them to pounce on the screaming with ease. Was a fun way to end the day.

On a side note The Smiler trim brakes (Which have never cut in on my previous 10 rides) have now completely ruined the ride in particular the second bunny hop, which you brake all the way over. If people wanted to compare this to Nemesis as a park beater it's just beaten itself up. Gutted.

Will it even be dark to see if Chessie's lighting is any good?

Problem is without getting a budget (or people with a desire) to have decent set of lighting, we aren't going to have any improvements... Though really, I can never seem to get the same level of rage towards floodlights that other enthusiasts seem to be able to...

considering the clocks go back tonight... it gets dark at half 6ish now anyway, so there will be at least an hour or so of pitch black - which still isn't enough, but gotta make the most of it - really do hope they put the same level of effort in again this year.

chessington was my favourite halloween last year after going to thorpe, chessington and alton... mainly because of the lighting, seriously!

Hmm, well I went last Monday and actually thought that, aside from Carnival of Screams, the others mazes let the side down. I definitely noted the lack of various odours in The Sanctuary. The fireball was also missing in the day room scene. Perhaps this had something to do with us being the first batch of visitors through? TotT felt very underwhelming.

The highlight for me was most definitely Carnival of Screams. I'm sure there are one or two new scenes that have been added. It was just a great laugh from start to finish. Ironic that the best maze should also be the free one as well.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to do The Smiler in the dark, but it looked amazing <3

1069125_603826606348153_1170295014_n.jpg

1376377_603826386348175_1819684464_n.jpg

1393856_603379553059525_880360736_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

According  to Towers Times A new maze is replacing Carnival of screams, but The Sanctuary is set to stay. Interesting...

"Details for Scarefest, Alton Towers Resort’s annual Halloween spooktacular event, have today been confirmed. Running from Saturday 18th October to Sunday 2nd November, the event will provide a range of frights and thrills for the whole family and feature a brand new attraction for 2014.

Set to replace Carnival Of Screams which has been running since 2010 will be an all new scare zone  “Scary Tales”, featuring a unique and twisted take on classic fairy tales, having been rewritten so that nobody lives happily ever after and nightmares always come true. Will you be brave enough to reach THE END of the Scary Tales book? Also new for 2014 are some exciting additions to the resort wide atmosphere, building on successes of the past and adding a touch of spookiness across the park.

3075__x_20131020_img_9262_hursty.jpg
3038__x_20131020_img_9389_hursty.jpg
Useful Information

Scare zones and other minor attractions are included with regular park admission.

The Sanctuary and Terror of The Towers will require the purchase of an additional ticket, available in advance via the resort website or on the day from The Resort Box Office, subject to availability.

Multi award nominated scare maze, The Sanctuary will make a welcome return for 2014, ready to once again entice new patients into its now legendary correctional facility for marmalization and correction. It is expected that some changes will be made due to the absence of Dr. Kelman; however it is not yet clear what these changes will be.

Also returning for 2014 will be Alton Towers Resort’s signature maze, Terror of the Towers. First making an appearance in 2002, Terror of the Towers has become a staple of the annual Halloween festivities. In addition, the living dead will once again rise as the Zombies Scare Zone completes this year’s line-up of scare attractions.

Guests are able to purchase a combi ticket for entry into The Sanctuary and Terror of the Towers for an additional charge of £14.00 on-the-day or £12.00 when booked online, whilst both scare zones will be free to guests. Despite its popularity at last year’s Scarefest, the Freedom Pass, which allowed unlimited access to all scare attractions throughout the event, will not be available this year.

There will also be plenty of family friendly fun and scares to enjoy as Franklyn, Skelvin, Patch and Phil take over Fountain Square with their Freaky Fun Zone. Little ones can learn how to spook at Franklyn and Phil’s Ghoul School or discover an array of insects in Patch’s Brilliant Bug Barn before enjoying his Trick or Treat Party!

3110__x210_20131023_img_9943_hursty.jpg
3051__x115_20131020_img_9600_hursty.jpg

For those feeling particularly brave, the resort is offering ‘The Ultimate Sleepover’. Situated within the historic haunted Towers Ruins, guests will stay in dormitory style accommodation with the scares lasting until 3am in the morning. Including a buffet style dinner, hot breakfast, park entry and dedicated parking, this all new experience replaces the award winning Scarerooms which were previously offered at the Alton Towers Hotel.

The frights won’t just be confined to the theme park with the Halloween spirit continuing at the resort hotels. A selection of family entertainment will be available each evening with Halloween themed shows to keep everyone entertained.

Construction for 2014’s event is already well underway with the towers ruins now closed to enable the mazes to be built, and the Scarefest Hearse has taken up its traditional position outside the Resort Box Office at the end of Towers Street."

I can't help but think that the Scarefest lineup is dire this year.  Terror of the Towers and The Sanctuary are the only mazes, as Scary Tales and Zombies are scare zones.  I would be pretty gutted if Towers was my local Halloween event, as they have lost a good maze for another scare zone.

Hopefully this means that Terror of the Towers and The Sanctuary have more actors, as they didn't have many in comparison to Thorpe's mazes last time I went in them.

This year's Scarefest line up isn't enticing me a lot.

-The Sanctuary:  brilliant maze, yes, and I love it.  Glad it's returning.

-Zombies:  Fun scare zone path, but nothing particularly exciting.

-TotT:  Yawn.  Left me unimpressed when I did it a couple of years ago; really needs a revamp in my eyes.  And I don't think the whole 'It's their flagship attraction, it has to be kept' rubbish should be a reason.

-Scary Tales:  Yay, another scare zone.  And what's more, the story sounds like it would have suited a maze environment better,  Will keep my mind open about it, but it just doesn't entice me..

• 1 month later...

They tend to be considerate of timings. As long as you arrive at the first maze within the time slot you'll be fine, you do need to then go to the next maze straight after the first though. I've never tested it but I'd imagine they wouldn't let you into the second maze if you left it until later on, I know we've had to wait around because we turned up slightly early before.