Scarefest

JoshC.

They realised the devastation it caused people only having 2 mazes... And most likely without the smiler needed more to help with queues slightly I guess. Plus I love how they just scrap a scare zone after a year - not so scary tales! Am really looking forward to it now though, (was really disappointed last year so wasn't really looking forward to it this year) hoping I can find some time to go!

For those not in the scaretours facebook list. Below is thier announcement.

Scare Mazes:

The Haunting of Molly Crowe – this new scare maze takes you to the home of Molly Crowe. One chilling night in late October, she was found in the cellar engulfed in flames, screeching sounds of inhuman origin. Her house now lies empty, but she is yet departed… Please note: Guests will be blind folded for certain parts of this experience.

SUB-Species: The End Games – this second new scare maze takes guests to a post-apocalyptic, sewer dwelling community who have been infested by a species from another world.

Terror of the Towers: What Lies Within – Returning for 2015 with a new route, dare you brave the rubble and hazards of the ruins and uncover the horrific chilling terror that lies within?

New Scare Zones:

Forbidden Valley: Dark Apocalypse - A deadly virus has spread across Forbidden Valley. Phalanx control has quarantined the area however, a recent security breach has questioned their ability to contain the virus and keep society safe.

Dark Forest: Nox:Infernus - The Underworld will rise once again for Nox:Infernus. The Night of Fire. Either join ‘The Cult’ or submit to the End of this World, as we know it.

Very interesting maze themes, the first two remind me of The Woman In Black & Hunger Games for some reason, good they've managed to cover up the Sanctuary though (which was too Smiler based to carry on and will probably be gone forever now). The new scare zones sound very exciting especially the first one. Scary Tales wasn't popular or successful then?

This could be the best Scarefest we've seen for a while and it could make up for the mid season's unfortunate events to a fairly large extent if done right.

I think Towers needs 3 scare mazes (and other things) since having two mazes last year didn't work too well and the loss of the Smiler to the lineup.

I'm sure those interested will be amazed that there are new things happening at a non-Thorpe Merlin Halloween event...

Fixed that for you.  Thorpe do plenty of new things to be fair ;)

It's a very interesting line up.  The Haunting of Molly Crowe reminds me of the Black Trilogy that has run at Warwick Castle the past 3 years (with last year's attraction, Blackout, being nominated for Best Halloween Attraction at ScareCON this year...).  Great to see them being a bit more daring and straying away from the classic conga line maze as well seemingly, what with the blindfolding.  It would also suggest that actors may be allowed to touch you some sense, a first for Towers?

The scare zones sound a lot more like traditional 'zones' in that it looks like they'll take up areas rather than be a set pathway (which all of Merlin's previous zones have been).  Hope it works out for them, as it would be a great thing to see happen in the UK!  I'm disappointed that in all this, TotT is returning.  I get it's a staple, but I think it's just time to move and try something completely different.  Maybe a new storyline would help I guess, but it's understandable that major changes aren't happening to it given everything else that is going on.

Will be interesting to see where the two new mazes go.  Molly Crowe sounds like a good fit for the Sanctuary spot in my opinion, but SUB-Species is a weird one.  Certainly sounds like it should be an indoor maze as opposed to an outdoor one, but where else it could go is a different question.  It sounds like it should go near Sub Terra though, for obvious reasons.

Intrigued and excited by the line up.  Certainly enough to want to make me go to Scarefest this season.  Hope they work with the pricing strategy of one free maze and two paid for mazes again, as that's seemed to work for them in the past.

The new scare zones sound very exciting especially the first one. Scary Tales wasn't popular or successful then?

From what I've gathered, Scary Tales was a very last minute investment to Scarefest.  Indeed, I've heard that a major overhaul to Scarefest like this had been planned for a while now, but budgets and such stopped it happening.  Scary Tales seemed to get mixed-to-positive reviews, but I just don't think it was a long-term thing for them,

It would also suggest that actors may be allowed to touch you some sense, a first for Towers?

I've certainly been touched in in TotT before now? Maybe I was just lucky?  ;)

I'm disappointed that in all this, TotT is returning.  I get it's a staple, but I think it's just time to move and try something completely different.  Maybe a new storyline would help I guess, but it's understandable that major changes aren't happening to it given everything else that is going on.

Can't agree. I've always thought they pretty much struck perfection with TooT; the right balance of level of scare for masses, length, variety within one maze, consistency for each run, throughput. Just overall completeness. I hope the route change has minimal impact on the actual maze.

With the mazes only open once a year for a few weeks, and realistically visited by even the geekiest geek no more than a couple of times each season, I don't think that sweeping change like this is really necessary. I'd much rather they put effort in to building on the themes and mazes they already have, seems so wasteful to bin the themes, sets and props wholesale, rather than improving and adding to what they have. Especially when the theming and upkeep of the permanent attraction is often so lacking and dilapidated.

Having said that this does sound interesting, look forward to see what they come up with.

I think Towers' rule has always been "The actors will not touch you" (was definitely like that on my visit in 2012), but I guess they'll sometimes touch older guests who look like they won't kick up a fuss about it? I certainly had actors come into contact with me in the past, but nowhere near Thorpe's touching level for example.

I know that my views on TotT won't be shared by many. I really hope that I just had a bad runthrough, but I found the maze to be lacking in actors, having a fair few dead spots, dragging on and not really having a consistent theme. I guess it coming back gives me a chance to see if I did just have a bit of bad luck!

I can see what you're saying about the sweeping changes, but I think that once in a while, they can be good. I think it worked well for Thorpe with Lionsgate for example. Towers seem to have drawn inspiration from a few different attractions and put their own twist on it, and have completely new attractions is probably the best way to rejuvenate the event a bit more. Hopefully it works out for them and they can then build upon these attractions year-on-year from now on.

Re: TOT returning. I personally think TOT is a brilliant scare maze. I like the concept of what lies within. You being urban explorers is still relevant today. But they do need to adapt it every year slightly, just to make it fresh, not leave it the same.

The below is pure conjecture and not based on any inside knowledge.

• I think the sewer maze will be where sanctuary was but with a different entrance.
  • TOT will use the same area that it has always used but I think will include another section.I also don't think it will exit in the same place, as I think the exit area will be used as part of the sewer maze (leaving the sewer maze through that long tunnel would be a brilliant ending.
  • I think the molly maze will be around the old tea house. Seems to fit the story. That is where they did the dining experience last year and there is a nice, light path to it and a back entry out to near where the zombie scare zone is. Good location to build a maze. The blindfold section, I thin, will be a way of making the maze seem longer than it actually is as the area is a bit small.

Propper scare zones. I think that this is where this will either shine as an event or totally fail. If they just put huge white arc lights up and then have a few phalanx people shouting then it will be rubbish. If they have correct lighting, fog machines, cordons as you enter and leave the area, and actual actors in character battling the phalanx then it will be amazing. Damn why arent things as they could as counjoured by my head.

Scarefest Saturdays..Not sure if you are all aware, last Saturday Towers tweeted that they were going to officially announce stuff. Today, as a response to someones questioning they 'changed their mind'. I am not sure if this is due to the Scarecon 'Leak' or something else. Whatever it is, I think it is a bit of a poor show. Even if they announce just what was leaked, but with a smidgen of more information or some artwork that would still have been good.

Scary Tales. my only problem with this was, it was too short. what was there was beautifully lit (go look at some of the photos from it, it looked like that in real life). It was also quite imaginative. It just wasn't scary and was waaaay to short. I remember saying, if they made that as a full 20 minute maze, you would be totally insane at the end of it. the colours would marmalise your mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds brilliant and it's great to see the park offering such experiences.

But at £99pp (and even £80 with AP discount), it's just too steep. Not all that surprising, but when you consider that there's similar things for cheaper (Twisted Attractions in Birmingham currently offer an hour long escape game for £18pp), it's hard to justify such a steep price.

Along with this comes some teasing for the geeks, with the Phalanx Control Twitter account (last used in advertised Sub Terra), now becoming activate again - https://twitter.com/PhalanxControl

Another Twitter account, Phalanx Archive, has also been made - https://twitter.com/PhalanxArchive.  Phalanx Control has tweeted the account, calling it an intruder, and the official Towers Twitter also told TowersStreet that it is an "intruder", the Phalanx Control is for "official communication".  So it is possibly a fake account (we know how much some love people love to fake advertise for Towers!), but it could all be part of a story to tease us geeks all the more.  Note how Phalanx Archive is a lot more active and has posted reference to SW8...

---

On a more Scarefest-orientated note, a bit of a wild idea, but could the Sub Species maze be located IN Sub Terra?  The maze is clearly themed around Phalanx and surely must go in Forbidden Valley.  But space is quite a premium there.  So, given how Sub Terra isn't a wholly popular attraction these days, could Towers have decided to close the ride down for Scarefest, not use the ride system, and instead turn the building into a maze location?  It would fit in with the original idea that ScareTour were first given (sewer-dwelling people, etc), especially if they could make it safe for people to travel to the lower regions of Sub Terra's ride area.  It would make for an interesting maze, with a decent length, and could also be easily converted into the escape game now mentioned, what with the different rooms and scenes.

I know it's a wild idea and I'm likely barking up the wrong bush, but it does seem to fit.

Just tried to book Operation Lockdown for one of the 2 dates we are there this year, to be told they are only running on 4 dates - starting 24th Oct. So, I am assuming they're only planning on running both weekends, no weekdays. I will try again nearer the time if more date's are announced, there is 3 of us proper up for this!

Phalanx Control (the known official account) has been confining with the occasional cryptic tweets. The most recent is this:

Disturbance verified @altontowers 52.98732733/-1.88437229 - more operatives required to contain threat

The numbers are in fact coordinates for Sub Terra.

Phalanx Archive (the 'intruder') is still active too, and is making very similar tweets to Phalanx Control. It is also saying that the Control account has been compromised.

Very low key stuff, but I'm expecting to see some more interesting Scarefest things officially announced tomorrow.

On a more Scarefest-orientated note, a bit of a wild idea, but could the Sub Species maze be located IN Sub Terra?  The maze is clearly themed around Phalanx and surely must go in Forbidden Valley.  But space is quite a premium there.  So, given how Sub Terra isn't a wholly popular attraction these days, could Towers have decided to close the ride down for Scarefest, not use the ride system, and instead turn the building into a maze location?  It would fit in with the original idea that ScareTour were first given (sewer-dwelling people, etc), especially if they could make it safe for people to travel to the lower regions of Sub Terra's ride area.  It would make for an interesting maze, with a decent length, and could also be easily converted into the escape game now mentioned, what with the different rooms and scenes.

I know it's a wild idea and I'm likely barking up the wrong bush, but it does seem to fit.

No.