Reserve n Ride

Marc

Ahh, so when you go to be allowed on, scanning your QR code, you have to show your entrance ticket as well to be allowed on?

If so, can people who visited today (JoshC) confirm this? Otherwise you'll end up with the blatant abuse that the old virtual queue (Fastrack) systems got which is why they were eradicated in first place!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Benin ;)

The system is not perfect but this is why we are trialling it, to see what potential issues there might be. If and when this becomes a permanent fixture, we would ensure that it was widely communicated to all our guests to minimise confusion about the system.

However to correct a misconception, it is not 'booking a slot' like Fastrack, it is joining a virtual queue - so the ride will not run out of slots, but the length of the queue will vary depending on how many people are in it.

It is unlikely that we will add this onto every ride, at least in the early stages - more likely just the most popular rides that tend to have longer queues. So people will still be able to ride other attractions whilst in the virtual queue for a ride, and make the most of their day at THORPE PARK! :)

There is of course still the issue of really limiting guests to what they actually are able to ride at specific times, which is more of an issue unless there is a massive change in stuff to do aside from actually riding or queuing like it is now...

On a personal level, that's my main thing... I don't want to have to be that selective of what rides I can do at certain times of the day, it does result in an excessive level of planning that could easily result in confused and annoyed guests...

There are ways of making queuing 'fun', although for promoting the whole "guests spend more out of queues" in the Disney style model this works best without removing Fastrack in it's current guise...

Of course, in general, queues do move faster without Fastrack...

I have to say, I quite like this - if it were only to be used on the major attractions and there were enough other attractions to do in the downtime (as Ryan said, a Thorpe Park show would be perfect!).

The full potential of the idea probably isn't being harnessed being limited to one ride (e.g. The Swarm), as all 10,000 guests on Park could go and join the virtual queue for it (making the queue time really long). If there were, say, 5 virtual queues for the 5 headline attractions, those 10,000 virtual queuing guests would be spread out over the 5 attractions, bringing the virtual queue time for each down.

My only question, assuming the trial run works: are the Park really going to take the likely substantial hit on Fastrack sales (which would surely lower - cutting a virtual queue time must be worth less than cutting an actual queue time) in the name of improving guest satisfaction?

Ahh, so when you go to be allowed on, scanning your QR code, you have to show your entrance ticket as well to be allowed on?

If so, can people who visited today (JoshC) confirm this? Otherwise you'll end up with the blatant abuse that the old virtual queue (Fastrack) systems got which is why they were eradicated in first place!

Nope, didn't have to show my AP at any time!

My only question, assuming the trial run works: are the Park really going to take the likely substantial hit on Fastrack sales (which would surely lower - cutting a virtual queue time must be worth less than cutting an actual queue time) in the name of improving guest satisfaction?

Surprisingly, people were still buying Fastrack. Granted, it wasn't as busy as I'd expect on a day like this, but people were still using it regularly. One thing I could see happening is, if we were to see this on the big 5 coasters, then maybe the other rides would see an increase in their Fastrack price to compensate?

Nope, didn't have to show my AP at any time!

Surprisingly, people were still buying Fastrack. Granted, it wasn't as busy as I'd expect on a day like this, but people were still using it regularly. One thing I could see happening is, if we were to see this on the big 5 coasters, then maybe the other rides would see an increase in their Fastrack price to compensate?

And if the queues were long for them(longer than your time slot), you would be forced into buying a more expensive fastrack...

Ah, they're asking for feedback after using the system.

One of the questions asks how much you expect to pay for the system. So, basically, may end up replacing fastrack in the future.

Don't mind this replacing fastrack if it leads to lower and more consistent fastrack queues really!

I think you show your entrance tickets to get the paper versions for the ppl without smart phones

having that for fast track only though defeats the object of having the system with virtual queueing, as it will only be fast track and you book it for a certain slot - like in the fast track booths?

unless being able to queue virtually means you can get on other/more rides which is seen as a benefit/perk which would need to be paid for?

Surprised I didn't see you there Josh, as I was there too! The park was incredibly busy, but managed to get on 12 rides today.

RnR - we got in the park at about 10:35 and went straight to the Swarm after reserving tickets for 10:51, we headed to the Swarm area and saw a canopy nearby. We were initially going to ask about RnR for it to be a bit clearer, but they asked us how many there was of us, and proceeded to give us a RnR ticket for 10:56. Bingo, now we have 2 tickets with two different timeslots?

Moving along, we get to the entrance... Oh. There's a MASSIVE crowd of people standing outside the entrance, no one is going in, just staff members standing near the entrance and no one has a clue what's going on. Staff members are calling out 'ANYONE WITH TICKETS WITH THE TIME 10:50 OR EARLIER', I hear comments from the GP say 'so we have to reserve tickets to ride rides now?'. It's all very

confusing.

After getting through the crowd of people they scan the bar code (on my phone) and managed to get on reasonably quickly. Thankfully we got in before a lot of people as there was a huge queue forming behind us. And I mean, massive. The problem I think we have here is that people end up going to the area before their time slot, and some people come just after, this completely congested the area and I've never more felt like a cow in a cattle pen.

By the end of the day (about 6:30) anyone with RnR were being sent through the fast track queue, although there was a massive load of people in the main queue, we proceeded and jumped past everyone queuing and people at the baggage drop were wondering why they were still letting people in. It's all very translucent and I think because it's somewhat new to the staff, it's all a bit up in the air and disorganised. I appreciate the park are trying to maximise guest satisfaction though.

Also when you are about to reserve your tickets, it says the total cost is "£0.00", I expect if the system is deemed a success, they'll start charging for it.

It's only a matter of time before some poor person books a time slot and their phone battery dies... :lol:

Good point. Everytime I've gone to Thorpe, my phone doesn't really survive the whole day. Reason: I use it a lot in the queue- for anything over 45 mins. Even use at the end of the day and to also keep time. So I would have to think that it need to be paper, or the option to get a device(like you leave a deposit).

It is all good n well, but I can see it turning in to a 6 Flags style where:

If there is a 90 min queue:

• People not paying, get a ticket and have to come back 90 mins later
  • People paying a premium get to cut the time in half to say 45 mins or 30 mins
  • People buying the top package get to go on in 5 mins

I don't want to be negative about the unreliability of any theme park ride, not pointing the finger at any park. But if a ride is down down for say 30 mins, does this mean that everyone has a 30 min extra wait for this ride?

For example if I get to Saw at 11am, my ticket says come back at 12, but the ride breaks down for 30 mins during that time. I will come back expecting to get on at 12, but will have to wait until 12:30. Now if I had got a reservation for Samurai at 12:20, does this means I miss out of my ride, but which ride? If I turn up at Samurai late, I mess the system up for people in that queue too or loose out on a ride due to no fault of my own.

Plus if you get in the park at 11am and there are 13,000 people in the park and everything is booked up apart from the Flying fish, Quantum and the Banana boat, you won't be too happy.

Another thing is Thorpe is a fairly small park and there isn't a great deal of things to do so if people are not queuing, then they may get bored or leave early....

My view is it could work, but it will be all down to how much you want to pay and how much money merlin can squeeze out of us before we stop going to the park.

It is all good n well, but I can see it turning in to a 6 Flags style where:

If there is a 90 min queue:

• People not paying, get a ticket and have to come back 90 mins later
  • People paying a premium get to cut the time in half to say 45 mins or 30 mins
  • People buying the top package get to go on in 5 mins

Having to come back 90 mins later is better than standing in a cattlepen for 90 mins. Paying the premium to get on rides is something that happens at a majority of theme parks, it's fastrack, it's not new and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

For example if I get to Saw at 11am, my ticket says come back at 12, but the ride breaks down for 30 mins during that time. I will come back expecting to get on at 12, but will have to wait until 12:30. Now if I had got a reservation for Samurai at 12:20, does this means I miss out of my ride, but which ride? If I turn up at Samurai late, I mess the system up for people in that queue too or loose out on a ride due to no fault of my own.

That's the same as queuing an hour for Saw, when you're just about to get on and it breaks for half an hour. You'd be stuck in the queue waiting for it if you had queued anyway. I'm not sure what happens about other ride reservations but the likeliness of a LOT of people just coming off a broken down ride who have a reservation for another ride that they've missed is very slim. I am sure there is a way around it that Thorpe have thought of.

Plus if you get in the park at 11am and there are 13,000 people in the park and everything is booked up apart from the Flying fish, Quantum and the Banana boat, you won't be too happy.

Thorpe have already in this topic said that it won't be available on all rides, only the big popular ones. There's no way all the top coasters would be fully booked by 11am, as you are just queuing virtually behind people who have already booked, so the queue may be 2 hours on a busy day for example.

Another thing is Thorpe is a fairly small park and there isn't a great deal of things to do so if people are not queuing, then they may get bored or leave early....

The Reserve N Ride will only be available on the busy coasters. You will be able to ride any other coaster during the wait, eat lunch, visit the arcade, (possibly see a show if they bring them back). Thorpe have already said they're looking into improving on things for guests to do around the park.

My view is it could work, but it will be all down to how much you want to pay and how much money merlin can squeeze out of us before we stop going to the park.

At the moment it's free, if they ever to introduce a payment option then it would be to replace fastrack. Thorpe park would not give an entrance fee and then make you pay for individual rides. Nobody is forcing you to buy fastrack.

Hope this clears things up for you.

I think they need to keep it free, e.g. Disneyland Hong Kong you can reserve your slot, using machines(note lower staff costs, but they need to make the initial investment) which is FREE. They also do it on certain rides, meaning its not every ride is full(one of the problems mentioned). They also limit a certain amount of people per time session, (I think its every 15 minutes), however they do have longer hours, so for this to work I t may be one of the things to do so they can spread the Crowd around. I mean yes theres a premium service, and people do use it, which is like walk on straight to the ride(and it doesn't kill the normal queue like the current thorpe one). Another thing, Thorpe isn't as big as Disney, yes, however, They probably need to bring back the showcase, and most likely the 4d cinema, as well as something like Fireworks(which was a good event) or some other events other than MOS(over 18), Sun Scream(Summer) and Fright Nights(Halloween). They need something for the younger ones, specifically aimed at them. This would encourage More families(hopefully for thorpe) and maybe something we are seeing as a whole, Thorpe improving.

Ah, one final thing I don't think haa been made clear...

You can only virtually queue for 1 ride at a time. So, you can't have one ride reserved at 1pm, and another at half 1 for example. Thus, you can't possibly miss a reservation due to another reservation.

The virtual queues are like real queues in the sense you can only be in one ay a time, and it's only when you finish with one queue can you join another.

There is of course still the issue of really limiting guests to what they actually are able to ride at specific times, which is more of an issue unless there is a massive change in stuff to do aside from actually riding or queuing like it is now...

On a personal level, that's my main thing... I don't want to have to be that selective of what rides I can do at certain times of the day, it does result in an excessive level of planning that could easily result in confused and annoyed guests...

There are ways of making queuing 'fun', although for promoting the whole "guests spend more out of queues" in the Disney style model this works best without removing Fastrack in it's current guise...

Of course, in general, queues do move faster without Fastrack...

You mean the Disney thats invested 2 billion Dollars in Fastpass+ at Disney World which will require vacation guests to plan their fastpass rides months in advance?

You mean the Disney thats invested 2 billion Dollars in Fastpass+ at Disney World which will require vacation guests to plan their fastpass rides months in advance?

Not that I've been reading much up on it to be quite honest, but I was referring to their interactive queue systems seen on Dumbo, Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid and soon to be on Big Thunder Mountain... Ways that make you queue but at the same time keeping your interest piqued (or in the case of Dumbo, letting the kids run around a play area for ages)...

Isn't Fastpass+ meant to be uber expensive (like Platinum style Fastrack here?), I need to actually fully read up on it as I have no real idea as to what the system is planning on entailing in full because, well, I just haven't given a damn about it... Although planning your rides months in advance is slightly better than on the day as more time to research and what-not...

I still think such limitations to guest choice as to their day out can be slightly detrimental to experience... Problem is with a lot of parks these days (Disney included) is that it's all a lot more focused on the income side of thing at the expense of guest experience...

I like the idea of this whole reserve N ride thing but I really hope it doesn't end up like the flash pass at six flags, where they have three systems:

- Regular, wait as long as everyone else but not in the line.

-Gold, get a reduction of waiting time, again not in line

- Platinum, barely any waiting and ride TWICE.

I don't mind if thorpe have all three of these as long as regular is free but I really hope they do not go for the platinum style one where you wait 5 mins to get on and then you get to stay on for another go, making the waiting time even longer for others.

Also even the regular flash pass is ridiculously expensive so I hope if thorpe continue with reserve N ride they keep a regular one free. However, I can definately see fastrack being replaced with an online system like the gold/platinum flash pass.

I still think such limitations to guest choice as to their day out can be slightly detrimental to experience... Problem is with a lot of parks these days (Disney included) is that it's all a lot more focused on the income side of thing at the expense of guest experience...

Hi Benin,

The reason we are trialling and looking to introduce this system is because we do care about the experience of our guests on Park. We have had a lot of feedback that guests do not enjoy standing in queues waiting for rides, so we are investigating options to avoid this so people can maximise enjoyment from their visit to THORPE PARK.

I think it has massive potential to be fair its a very brave move by the park.

I think the problem we will have with the trial as its only on one ride it will get abit confusing for people, I actually think think it will work better when there are 2/3 rides on the system but then thats even more risky!

No one enjoys queuing for anything, but it's something that does happen unfortunately... However, I think a major issues are queues that are just boring with nothing to look at going insanely slowly are issues that are easier to tackle... Inferno's queue as an example is boring, but fast; Colossus' is interesting and slow; Saw's is just terrible at both factors I'm looking at... Swarm (hidden cattlepen aside) is a good example of a fast moving queue with things to look at Thorpe...

The "Queuing spoilt my day" KPI isn't to me, just about long queues reducing the ability to ride everything, but more about the experience available in a queue... If queues were more interesting, I might be more liable to queue for rides that I don't usually want to queue long for rather than just thinking forget it and riding Rocky Express again...

If the amount of options of other things to do increases dramatically, then this might be of some extreme use, but then it also actually adds problems on (as proven when the system crashed) to something that was pretty much basic and unbreakable (aside from Fastrack over-selling)...