Which is the best Thorpe Park coaster in the dark

Exodus Matt

Which Thorpe coaster is the best in the dark?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which coaster is the best in the dark?

• Swarm forwards
    • Saw the ride
    • Stealth
    • Nemesis Inferno
    • Colossus
    • X
    • Flying Fish
    • Swarm backwards

Agree with pluk - they're all better in the dark! :P The whole park looks brilliant all lit up.

The Swarm is probably my favourite because of the LEDs on the train, and the fire is spectacular. Swarm does lack any decent lighting though which makes Colossus and Inferno amazing at night.

For me the most disappointing ride in the dark surprisingly is Saw. Horrible white floodlights in the plaza & queue, and absolutely no ambient lighting at all.

Nemesis Inferno all the way! The way interacts with the foilage is much better in the dark as it's more of a surprise. It is also lit brilliantly and rides so well at night!

Have to also mention Colossus, it is again lit great and is great fun in the dark. So is Stealth with the view of the park.

Saw is bland and meh and Swarm is hit and miss. If the lights on the cars are working (which they weren't always last year) and the fire goes of it's great, but it is essentially flood lit in places. Do like the flickering light on the billboard though

In order of preference,

1/ Inferno, brilliant speed and interacts with the shrubbery and surroundings brilliantly.

2/ Swarm backwards, a very disorienting but yet impressive experience which being pulled around in the dark backwards.

3/ Stealth, I love being thrust through darkness and then seeing the park at night above for a second or two.

4/ Swarm forwards, very impressive flying around in the dark and even better when the fireball goes on.

5/ Saw, the ride is a lot more coherent at night making the experience more like Saw, plus the pre-coaster section seems better too.

6/ Colossus, very good in the dark with the loops interacting, but the roughness does detract the experience (based on past ridings)

7/ Flying Fish, an interesting variation to day riding and one worth doing if there's time.

8/ X, the experience is very much the same as to riding in the day, however riding at night does make it feel more like a night club.

Those are my preferences.

If my friends weren't so busy on the banana boat, I might be actually be able to answer this question.

Since the coasters I went on in the dark were Stealth and Swarm, I would have to say stealth. I just love the views you get of the park with everything lit up and illuminated as you pass over the top hat section.

If the poll was not coaster, then Slammer, Rush, Samurai even Loggers are all good in the dark. Rumba has very good green lighting too.

I would give The Swarm top votes, but I have ridden the ride 12 times this year and nearly 40 last year and EVERY time the fire effect has never gone off while I was on the ride. I have seen it plenty of times while in the queue. Plus with the water effects not working it is all disappointing.

If the smoke effects were working on Inferno when I have been on it, then I would rate it as going through the smoky tunnel with the red lights would be amazing.

At night Thorpe only has three rides which look good in the dark, two of them are fair ground rides and The Swarm.

I would love to give Stealth top marks here as its my top Thorpe coaster, but there is nothing going for it to make me want to ride it in the dark. It is still an amazing coaster, but it would be good if Thorpe could light it up better. Why not light up the top hat with blue lights. On the launch track, why not have LED lights running down the track with an effect that looks like they are moving down the track.

II would give The Swarm top votes, but I have ridden the ride 12 times this year and nearly 40 last year and EVERY time the fire effect has never gone off while I was on the ride.

Time to eat my hat, for the first time ever the fire effect went off during Summer nights and we were in the front row. Thank god I didn't choose to 'Brave it backwards' and miss out