Six Flags Great Adventure

Benin

It was inevitable after they added Lex Luther: Drop of Doom to the side of Superman at Magic Mountain. I'm sure it will be an amazing ride, but I much prefer drop towers that have other ride position over seated.

I find that the thrill of a drop tower comes from being able to see the ground coming toward you, so on a seated ride you generally can't see the ground very well, it's much better when you are tilted, standing or floorless, or even in the case of Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens face down. Maybe it'll be something they'll add to it in the future to give it a boost in popularity.

Zumanjaro? What a strange and silly sounding name. As for the ride itself, meh, another tall drop tower stuck on a tall roller coaster. Personally, I think I prefer the look of a sole tower standing by itself - looks more imposing.

These types of rides add a whole different meaning to 'bolt on' attractions...

(I'll grab my coat!)

blog-jumanji.jpg

Just what the world needs, a Robin Williams themed ride.

Think it looks odd, like the structure is not strong enough to take it. I'm guessing they've checked it is. I'd like to try one of these outsized drops, but I can't imagine the ride itself is that exciting? Depends if you can get away with nice floaty loose restraints I would think.

Just an idea... In the near future could this be done with stealth and create a near 200ft drop tower to replace detonator that would warrant a good marketing factor for a new flat ride (not a major rollercoaster investment which otherwise would be hard to market)? Out of interest what is the tallest drop tower in the UK and Europe?

Hurakan Condor is like, 300ft isn't it?

Apocalypse is just under 200ft...

Be pointless though, why get rid of a good drop tower for a gimmick? Especially considering the lack of space for Stealth to have sommat like Ka's would result in a lower throughput than Det...

I think it looks interesting adding a drop tower as an add on to a tall coaster like Lex Luther, but it does look less impressive and also a little bit random that its connected to the same structure.

In terms if Stealth getting one, not very likely as they may not have any way of adding them on with the current space within the area and also I doubt it will have a brilliant throughput and plus, they have Detty which I still think is a pretty good drop tower 12 years on.

Thing is there is no massive support structure on stealth like there is on Kingda Ka that is why its possible to put it on kingda, stealth just has 4 slanted supports for the top hat so thorpe would need to fork out loads for an unnecessary support structure, like Benin said It would be pointless. Plus Detonator is still a crowd puller so it wont be going anytime soon! Plus Stealth would look ugly as hell with that bolte on and the amount of people in the plaza would be stupid. Plus drop towers should stand alone and proud, not be a mediocre bolt on to something.

I think it looks interesting adding a drop tower as an add on to a tall coaster like Lex Luther, but it does look less impressive and also a little bit random that its connected to the same structure.

In terms if Stealth getting one, not very likely as they may not have any way of adding them on with the current space within the area and also I doubt it will have a brilliant throughput and plus, they have Derry which I still think is a pretty good drop tower 12 years on.

Derry or Detty ;)

• 11 months later...

^I dunno if it's that simple; from what I've seen, the public can't normally access the underneath of top hat sections of launch coasters (could well be wrong there, just what I've seen from pictures).  So it just seems to be a more general thing of not letting people underneath the ride section.  

From what I've seen, the station and queue line are quite enclosed on Zumanjaro(?), so I guess that minimises risks of getting hit by loose items and whatnot.  

Stealth won't be able to get the additional supports to get one, because of the council restrictions.  

Thank goodness as well in my opinion - Detonator is a great drop tower.  Plus I wouldn't want to see the park's icon coaster have to deal with troubling throughput to accommodate for a drop tower.

The drop is fantastic but it does come with a massive downside in destroying kingda ka's though-put ... For unknown reasons (I'm assuming shaking) kingda ka cant launch until zumanjaro has completed its cycle.

Surely it can not have been planned that way, or permanent? To have two major attractions in a park that can not run simultaneously is truly moronic.

Aparently it was designed to run at the same time but health and saftey has said that they cant. They really should have checked before hand becuase kingda ka can have all 3 of its trains ready and just waiting. It can manage to launch 2-3 trains between each cycle and then waits about 90 seconds before the next launch. I had a flash pass but accoriding to the people in the station they had been waiting in excess of 2 hours from the 90 minute sign.