CBeebies Land

Benin

Plans online...

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?keyval=MRVOO7PGA8000&searchtype=PROPERTY&module=P3

Not exactly clear if it's getting the rumoured IP brand attached or just getting a massive refurb, but the big thing is the removal of the Tent and a new Marquee in place...

Couple more bits of theming added as well to the existing rides, but nothing actually new ride wise being added...

Still looking at the plans though...

EDIT - Further reading

Things to be removed are the Tent and Dung Heap, to be replaced by a new ents stage and assorted play equipment...

Defenite IP to be added, but not mentioned to protect the contract... Lots of characters to be added judging by the plans...

New toilets which is probably the biggest news of the plan ;)

Cue loads of people moaning about an IP coming when the whole area was originally a massive Safeway advert anyway.

Could be good, could be crap. Have to wait and see what the IP is I guess, but could lead to a decent show if they have chosen wisely and are prepared to give it a decent budget for both design but also ongoing running costs for staff and effects. We'll see.

Cue loads of people moaning about an IP coming when the whole area was originally a massive Safeway advert anyway.

Was it really? But was it more of a "Old McDonald's Farm, brought to you by Safeway", or Safeway logos everywhere and signs telling you why you should use them for your weekly shop?

In terms of these plans, Iam mixed with the concept.

I like the idea of the making the old stage area a big new space with a marquee for entertainment as well as the overall retheme in addition to the new toilet and shop facilities. But no actual,ride (as we currently know) is a disappointing one especially as the park needs a new family one and areas such as Thomas at Drayton & Nick at Blackpool eclipsing tower's kiddie additions,they do need some new rides on that front. Even Neverland at Oakwood is better than that at the moment and there's still work to be done there.

Sorry to sound like such a noob here, but what is an IP?

Intellectual property, ie a brand, character or franchise such as Saw, Thomas the Tank Engine and Peppa Pig as seen elsewhere. They are usually expensive which takes budget away from making things actually good and instead make just it marketable as something already known to the public, so they are often not popular with us lot who would rather an actually good experience instead.

It's great to see them refurbishing such an old part of the park which has needed some serious work for a while now! Also great to see them using the Ice Tent space for further shows/entertainment which seems to be growing very nicely at Towers these last couple of years. However, I do think that this would be the best time and place to also build a new roller coaster designed for young children. Something like Troublesome Trucks, I know they have RMT but that's more of a family ride and what they are really missing is a kiddie coaster as such. I hope that if it is an IP that not all of the budget has been spent on that, but either way Storybook Land will at least feel fresh and new.

Intellectual property, ie a brand, character or franchise such as Saw, Thomas the Tank Engine and Peppa Pig as seen elsewhere. They are usually expensive which takes budget away from making things actually good and instead make just it marketable as something already known to the public, so they are often not popular with us lot who would rather an actually good experience instead.

Ahhh right, thanks Pluk.

Unfortunately, the majority of people visiting the parks only seem to associate with brands. For example when in the Fried Chicken Company I overheard someone saying - "What is this place? A poor man's KFC?! Can't believe I had to pay extra for cheese!"

I can't say I've ever even been in the area before, so I guess my opinions mean very little. However, it's nice to see them splashing life into an old area, and I guess the success of it will come down to the theme and rumoured IP. Another IP for the park would be interesting though, considering they already have 3, and they looked into giving Smiler an IP too... I've also read speculation that it may be a 2 year investment, with a new ride / kids coaster coming our way in 2015; would be nice to see.

The fact that they're removing this signing barn though is a shame. From how it's been described, it is a piece of magic just a child, which is what the park should be about. I wonder if they can get a 'different piece of magic' there instead.

The singing barn is the most hellish part of the whole park - a horrific cacophony of noise and animatronics that fall apart before your very eyes. But fun.

It even features a swearing pig (I never understood what he was supposed to be saying, but it certainly sounds like the S word)

Oh yes, and this is the least interesting thing Alton Towers haw ever done, which is passable considering The Smiler.

There's been a lack of IP speculation here, what do we think is coming or does anyone 'know'?

Are they going to go for out and out kids or something a bit more family? A few that I don't think have been 'taken' by other parks:

Postman Pat - Kids are still into that, right? A little Glendale could be quite nice.

Paddington Bear - Not such a big thing right now, but a classic and and a new film is happening next year.

Little Miss and Mr Men - So much scope for variety and fun, and think of the merchandise sales!

There's been a lack of IP speculation here, what do we think is coming or does anyone 'know'?

Are they going to go for out and out kids or something a bit more family? A few that I don't think have been 'taken' by other parks:

Postman Pat - Kids are still into that, right? A little Glendale could be quite nice.

Paddington Bear - Not such a big thing right now, but a classic and and a new film is happening next year.

Little Miss and Mr Men - So much scope for variety and fun, and think of the merchandise sales!

Longleat has postman pat:)

Personally I think it will be a ceebies theme:)

• 1 month later...

Confirmed as CBeebies Land...

http://www.blooloop.com/news/merlin-entertainments-and-bbc-to-create-cbeebies-l/24979#.Ul0C7VMwJLq

Merlin Entertainments has announced a partnership with BBC Worldwide to bring CBeebies Land to Alton Towers, the UK’s No. 1 theme park resort. Set to open in Spring 2014 CBeebies Land will be Alton Towers’ first area themed for a single brand and will feature some of the best loved characters from the UK’s favourite TV channel.

The 5 acre area for pre-schoolers will include rides, immersive play, live experiences, character appearances and seasonal events with content updated regularly so that each visit to CBeebies Land will be unique.

Mark Fisher, Chief Development Officer at Merlin Entertainments said, “The Alton Towers project is very exciting. Most importantly it is the first project in what we hope will be a very important long term relationship with BBC Worldwide. CBeebies is a perfect fit for Britain’s number one theme park resort, and both BBC Worldwide and ourselves are excited by the chance to add a little extra Merlin ‘magic’ to some of the country’s best loved children’s characters. CBeebies Land will add a different and original element to the already fantastic offering we have for young families, making Alton Towers Resort the ideal destination for both day trips and short breaks.”

The BBC have already reached out to their youngest audience with a CBeebies app. The development of a themed experience with Merlin is the next step to develop the CBeebies brand. Joe Godwin, Director, BBC Children’s, said, “I’m really pleased that our youngest audience and their families will get the chance to experience hands-on their favourite CBeebies shows and characters in a safe environment which has all the values and quality they expect from CBeebies. CBeebies has long been the number one TV channel for preschool children and their families, but we also know that these days they want to be able to have days out and happy memories with their favourite characters in the real world as well. Hot on the heels of our hugely popular CBeebies app, CBeebies Land gives families another new way to experience the brand.”

Interesting to see how this competes with the likes of Thomas and Nick Land...

What do they own then, what are we likely to see?

I don't quite understand how this will work from a licencing point of view, if Cbeebies content is made by outside producers;

Bob the Builder - HIT entertainment (also shown on other networks outside UK)

Tweenies - Tell Tail Productions (also shown on other networks in UK)

Postman Pat - Various production companies, including Dreamworks! (only ever shown on BBC though) but already licensed to Longleat.

etc etc

I don't understand what it is they have actually got, it could be a real rights minefield and result in things having to be quite temporary (and therefore cheap/poor quality).

The 5 acre area for pre-schoolers will include rides, immersive play, live experiences, character appearances and seasonal events with content updated regularly so that each visit to CBeebies Land will be unique.

Shaun the Sheep is the first one that pops into my head...

I would love a Shaun area! Crated, made, owned, by Aardman though, so surely not the BBCs to sell? In the same way I'm pretty sure BBC had nothing to do with W&G at Blackpool, it might have been made for them(after the first one), but it isn't theirs.

I guess they have figured out what they can and can't do, Nick land made it work with the same problems after all.

Not really knowing anyone in the target market, and having not watched CBeebies since the channel was founded, I don't quite know what to expect from the area, or what the park should really be aiming for, but it'll be interesting to see how well they pull it off. Hopefully the ever-changing content won't reduce the quality of said content though.

Also will be worth keeping an eye out on this link - http://www.altontowers.com/cbeebiesland/