CBeebies Land

Benin

I'm gonna take a wild guess, but it's possible Twirling Toadstool is being moved to CBeebies Land

No. There are plans, it's not on them. Toadstool is stripped to nothing regularly.

It seems no one here gives much of a crap about this development, without a mention Towers have been announcing the line up since the weekend...

1535588_273942372756982_1477934933_n.jpg

Mr Tumble / Something Special

1486906_273949832756236_1546392684_n.jpg

Mr Blooms Allotment

1497501_274924349325451_2023235170_n.jpg

In the Night Garden

1525693_275480382603181_2000040564_n.jpg

Nina's Science Lab

Don't want to be negative before we've seen what they've actually done but this is looking less and less interesting to me. The channel has a selection of puppet/cartoon characters to chose from and they go for the human person options? They can create the in the night garden character costumes and models and to kids they are the real one, but all the others rely on the real actor who clearly won't be there in person so it will be video or cardboard cutouts. It'll be no more special to the kids than seeing them on the TV and internet. Seems like really strange choices to me.

Must admit, CBeebies land to me is just completely dull and boring. The experiences announced so far sound bland and only interesting to anyone up to 8 years at a push.

The only addition confirmed so far I have some interest in is the In The Night Garden to see what can be done with the models and landscaping, but the rest I can't be bothered with.

My expectations for this themed area, are currently rather low.

Let's face it, half of the adults are going to be scared witless by In The Night Garden due to Iggle Piggle's (the blue guy) eyes... Terrible choice for a ride...

But meh, not knowing anyone who's of CBeebies target audience, I have no idea about any of these IPs thus far, bar INTG. Shame like pluk says that the IPs seem to mostly have human characters at the moment, as there's less potential for interaction with live actors 'from the show'.

Mr Tumble is VERY well known and popular as a brand (I've even seen the guy who plays him having dinner in a Hilton up at the NEC), as you say though having human characters is possibly problematic for the area, as I doubt they can pull a Plopsa and have the actors there for shows...

The problem with this area from an enthusiast point of view is that it truly doesn't interest US... However, the same could be said for the likes of Thomas Land (bar the cred) and Peppa Pig World in a way, as those areas aren't aimed at us at all either...

Saying that this area will only be of interest to those under 8 is true, because unsurprisingly, that is the age group CBeebies targets...

One thing it is showing is an edu-tainment aspect, which is obviously part of the BBC stature and what-not... I'd imagine that they will want this area to be as great as possible for kids, and for kids, interactive stuff is quite simply the best thing that can be done for them, hence 3 out of the current 4 announced attractions feature it heavily...

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the most successful thing Towers have done in YEARS... And at least so far it looks relatively tasteful in a retheme on one of the areas that didn't really need a retheme, but an injection of popularity, which this IP will easily bring in...

Some of you may have missed this but I hope re look and notice the amazing photo-shopping in the "in the night garden" picture. Notice how the boats roof pillars, even the ones that are in front of the people are behind them. Astounding bit of mind bending physics there, I am now 100% going to complain if we don't get MC Escher effects.

I think this is a great move for Alton towers I know it will only run a few years as kids stuff come in and out of fashion like a click of your finger but look at peppa pig land it has record attendances in 2013 and made a fortune from it . If am right at one point in the summer holidays it was Advance tickets only

Don't forget Dung Heap and the Tent areas are both being used for this, so at the moment we have 3 attractions (Sensory Garden, Allotment and Nina) that are all completely new...

Bish Bash (Justin's House), Riverbank (Night Garden), Squirrel Nutty (Get, Set, Go), Doodle Doo Derby (Unknown) and Tractor Ride (Postman Pat at a guess) are all getting rethemed, so it's actually quite a decent number so far...

The fact that this is slipping under the radar is a good thing.

Alton Towers are investing £8m in CBeebies Land; a substantial figure.

The area is squarely aimed at the 0-6 age group, and for their families. It's remit is educational and fun, and as such, there are going to be many interactive educational entertainment elements to the new land.

The IP's are all off the channel, and the most major ones to boot. Ask any 5 year old, and they'll tell you all about Iggle Piggle, Mr. Tumble and the Veggies. It may not be what we watched when we were kids, Postman Pat aside, but imagine - back when you were little. A Button Moon, Playdays or Rainbow themed ride would have been right up all of our streets!

Full line up from press release...

Postman Pat’s Parcel Post
In the Night Garden Magical Boat Ride
Mr Bloom’s Allotment
Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure
Something Special Sensory Garden
Justin’s House Pie-O-Matic Factory
Nina’s Science Lab
Charlie & Lola’s Moonsquirters and Greendrops
The Numtums Number-Go-Round
Tree Fu Tom Training Camp
Big Fun Show Time

CBeebies Photo Studio

I have no idea what much of it means.

These line up of attractiones don't sound too had now, for any preschool kids and judging from the line up, the number go round will be the rethemed Doodle do Derby.

I hope 8 million does this area justice as that figure is approximately twice the cost of Sub-Terra considering no new ride systems are set to be installed.

Post man pat's certainly a good choice for a ride as he's been around since and probably before my time and presumably still remains very popular to this day.

I must admit, I wasn't to sure on this when it was first announced, but have always been thinking that that area was in need of a serious refurb. From what I can see, this is a worthwhile investment on Alton Towers' part. As a resort, catering to all ages is a must, and with a completely re-vamped childrens area, I can see them attracting many more families with kids, which I must admit I hadn't seen many of when I visited.

I also think that the bright colour schemes will be great to photograph and will add to the vibrancy of the main street :)

• 1 month later...

So I've been reading this little number on Towers Street

http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2014/animals-to-leave-alton-towers/

and I now know what my problem with CBeebies land is.

It's utterly charmless. The thing with Old McDonalds Farm and Storybook Land was its unassuming nature, how it was a nice quiet area, specifically designed for young 'uns to see animals and engage in attractions which were full of character like Riverbank Eye Spy or Squirrel Nutty. When you look at the over head pictures from the TOWERS TIMES CHOPPER OF DOOM, it reminds me of the Rumba Rapids retheme in 2002, bright, colourful and utterly garish and tacky.

It's not even about my lack of interest because it's not aimed at me, I thought Riverbank was a great little ride, the Farmhouse with all the animals singing together was typical of the park during the 90's and I really thought Squirrel Nutty was a top notch ride. I really fear that the IP is going to run riot like a wrecking ball in what was a great little area. -_-

• 1 month later...