Quick Q: 300ft height restriction rumour

Will

I think it is not for Thorpe to decide.

It will sure be included as part of some development plan or planning application which the council agree to, in principle at least, before it could be seriously considered. And the council would not agree to anything like that without public consultation, which we would obviously be aware of if it happened.

So whoever has said it has likely made it up entirely, or knows of some sort of application ready to be submitted. Either way I'd say it is a long way from being confirmed.

I very much doubt it.

The current MTDP goes up to 2016, so anything after after that is probably very much up it in the air (even the hotel which they've had planned for god knows how long doesn't have a concrete date), so I doubt they have a date when they can build a coaster of certain height.

I highly doubt it would be approved anyway. Stealth was granted special permission, and has a colour which isn't too intrusive to the surroundings and has minimal supports. The only way a 300ft coaster would be built, in my opinion, is if it was a coaster with a top hat and quite low after that, which is pretty pointless I think.

Never say never, but do say probably not...

Merlin think that though because they do market research (like any intelligent company) on the majority of their guests... Similar reason why Saw came about because research showed there would be an interest in a horror film IP ride...

Yes, but Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Oakwood have proven that the general public do love woodies - I don't hear anyone at either parks complaining about them being "unsafe." Everyone comes off them with a huge grin on their face, and wants to go back for more!

I think that the General Public would really enjoy a woodie at Thorpe.

I read somewhere that the max ceiling height in theory would be 500ft as thats the lowerst a plane is allowed to fly in emergency circumstances although they would fly much higher normally... So in theory a 300ft height restriction would be fine, just think it's a matter of planning and what's allowed by the council in terms of height.

I read somewhere that the max ceiling height in theory would be 500ft as thats the lowerst a plane is allowed to fly in emergency circumstances although they would fly much higher normally... So in theory a 300ft height restriction would be fine, just think it's a matter of planning and what's allowed by the council in terms of height.

I think that the height restriction is in place because of other factors, such as the locals being fusspots etc...

Merlin think that though because they do market research (like any intelligent company) on the majority of their guests... Similar reason why Saw came about because research showed there would be an interest in a horror film IP ride...

You mean like Lloreal ask 127 people whether they like a product, 94 like it, therefore the product must be loved by everyone. Has anyone on here been asked whether they want to see a woodie or not? If the majority are asked, it figures that some TPM members must have given there opinion at some point.

Anyone, anyone at all?

Fact of the matter is Merlin won't build one until a gimmick rears its ugly head. A Crying shame but if it helps, going to mainland Europe isn't that expensive and Zeus, Troy and Wodan are not that far away. ;)

Yes, but Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Oakwood have proven that the general public do love woodies - I don't hear anyone at either parks complaining about them being "unsafe." Everyone comes off them with a huge grin on their face, and wants to go back for more!

I think that the General Public would really enjoy a woodie at Thorpe.

The Blackpool woodies ride nothing like a modern wooden coaster, and due to their age and rickety ride (which is part of their charm, but they can ride badly) can be perceived negatively and unsafe (Big Dipper accident)...

Do the majority of people visiting Thorpe know of Oakwood and Megaphobia? If we're going to look at commonly ridden wooden coasters by the GP, you have to look at rides like Gwazi and Stampida, which are all pretty awful rides in general... This again skews the idea of wooden coasters being too rough to be enjoyable (which Gwazi and Stampida are, no doubts)...

We know the modern GCIs are good, sure even an Intamin one would suffice (though I think they're pretty soulless)... But until trends change, the parks will not be allowed to spend a large investment on a perceived risk, especially after Swarm 'failing'... If a company doesn't do it's market research and just puts out whatever they want, it can either be a successful idea or a terrible one, the odds aren't that great...

Need to remember as well that wooden coasters require a lot more care and attention, with specific engineers for the job amongst everything else... They are actually serious large long term investments, otherwise a good one can become awful (Stampida)... Another issue to consider when building one...

Fortunately, the European parks have an actual clue when building new rides...

EDIT - Mark, you know as well as I do that enthusiasts make up for very little of the overall attendance pool... And for the most part, our opinion is very skewed in some cases (or certain forums), so more often than not I'm not surprised that there are very few parks that converse directly with enthusiasts... Here and Valley Mania (though I think that might have changed) are exceptions, but Thorpe have only really locked into here over the last year...

And yep, it'll be a gimmick coaster if we ever get one... Though that High 5 one can count as a gimmick thing... And that's not one of those inverting ones!

The Blackpool woodies ride nothing like a modern wooden coaster, and due to their age and rickety ride (which is part of their charm, but they can ride badly) can be perceived negatively and unsafe (Big Dipper accident)...

Do the majority of people visiting Thorpe know of Oakwood and Megaphobia? If we're going to look at commonly ridden wooden coasters by the GP, you have to look at rides like Gwazi and Stampida, which are all pretty awful rides in general... This again skews the idea of wooden coasters being too rough to be enjoyable (which Gwazi and Stampida are, no doubts)...

I am well aware of the differences between older and newer woodies as I have ridden the Blackpool woodies and Megafobia a lot.

I'm not sure if the people visiting Thorpe know about woodies in the UK, but does it matter?

Do you think many of them knew about Speed before Saw was built? Or Raptor before Swarm?

A woodie at Thorpe would bring something new to the majority of people at the park, which can only be a good thing.

You use Saw and Swarm as examples, BUT...

They both have a huge USP, and of course we know that Saw's theme is a result of Thorpe/Merlin using market research into the idea of a horror IP themed ride...

You seem to be thinking that I don't think a wooden coaster be a good idea, because I think the UK NEEDS a modern one here as soon as... BUT I can understand why Merlin would use their market research as a reasoning behind not building it... After Swarm not bringing in the punters as hoped and Saw/Smiler/Thirteen all doing so, it's clear that their view is that USPs are the way to go...

Which doesn't work unless we end up with an RMC... Which would be meh...

The problem is that head of merlin nick does love woody coaster but in the uk people only get to ride Blackpool and Oakwood coaster that are good but there age means there Ricky and it's because of that it puts people off but until there gone to the states and rode one like bolder bash Kentucky derby boardwalk bullet they will never know how good they really are nick loves them but it's down to the marketing team to prove that they will work and although if they ever build one it won't do to great to start with but long term more people will then turn up year after because there heard how great it is

I thought that the whole 205ft restriction was only for Stealth and that Thorpe had no intention of exceeding this any-way as it's their signature ride? (Although, they DID categorically deny that The Swarm would be turned backwards)

Also, if Boris Island gets the go ahead, Heathrow will close and become an urban district, not an airport.... So, who know's what will happen then...

The other thing to consider is the space that's available to Thorpe... I was under the impression that the flooding of the farm was the last thing they were able to do to obtain new land and after that, they are out...

Also, if Boris Island gets the go ahead, Heathrow will close

This will never ever happen. They may well open Boris island, but with the billions spent on infrastructure and the fact the entire area around Heathrow relies on the airport will mean this will never happen. In reality we may see expansions at other air ports, maybe even Boris Island, but Heathrow will never close. To close Heathrow would be to put hundreds of thousands of people out of work, de-value the house prices for a good million houses and it would be an economic disaster.

I would easily put my money on it that Heathrow is here to stay for a very long time. They would not have spent all that money on Terminal 5 and also Terminal 2

But on the bright side if Heathrow did close and Merlin brought it, just imagine Legoland, Thorpe and Chessington coming together to create a super park on the Heathrow site!