Rides That Frighten The Bejesus Out Of You!

EC!

Good idea for a thread :P

I agree with Detonator - the wait at the top is so tense. All drop towers freak me out, but Detonator is the worst (or best, depends how you look at it!) Still get nervous every time.

In terms of actually being scared though - as in "oh my god am I actually going to survive this thing", it would have to be either the Wild Mouse at Blackpool, or the Bomb Bay at Wet 'n' Wild Orlando.

The only individual ride I can think of that I really unnerves me to the point I sometimes struggle to enjoy it is Samurai. The forces on those restraints that have no visible back up are huge, and the restraints have a lateral movement in them that was not there a decade ago and just feels wrong to me, they should be solid as a rock like they used to be. That coupled with the parking problems which suggests the ride doesn't really know where it is any more (which is quite important when you look at the angles involved and what it could do if it got it wrong) make me slightly relieved every time it is over. I am of course not suggesting it is unsafe, but I don't trust it as far as I could throw it, and it could throw me a long way.

I am always slightly uneasy on indoor rides where I am restrained to the extent I couldn't get out if I really wanted to. At some point everything burns in the end you know.

As I get older more things go through my mind about things like; the huge forces on components on rides, metal fatigue, the thousands of individual parts there often are to fail, the millions of cycles they have done, the mistake an engineer can make under pressure to get something open, the Intamin stamp of manufacture, the fact that I am likely to be the heaviest thing the ride has encountered in a while so if it is ready to go I may just tip it to breaking point etc etc. Mostly though I just find that stuff interesting and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the rides at the time.

The scariest ride I can remember is G-Force at Drayton Manor. That chain lift around the loop is horrific, but made worse by the lap bar restraints. I have never felt so vividly like I was going to fall out of a ride! And there's nothing to hold on to either!

I went on it again, though, I just chose the back row, where you are pulled round the top of the loop much quicker. Still horrible though.

The scariest ride I can remember is G-Force at Drayton Manor. That chain lift around the loop is horrific, but made worse by the lap bar restraints. I have never felt so vividly like I was going to fall out of a ride! And there's nothing to hold on to either!

I went on it again, though, I just chose the back row, where you are pulled round the top of the loop much quicker. Still horrible though.

Really? I thought it was brilliant, I went over the loop with my hands dangling :lol:

There are several rides that I have been on this year and vowed never to do again - these being Stealth, Samurai and Rush, but I have come to love all 3 of them. After my very first ride on Stealth I was shaking and close to tears and, up until the Stealth ice cream photo shoot it was the only coaster that really scared me - having ridden it 39 times this year it no longer scares me but that doesn't take away the fact it is a brilliant coaster.

There is only really one answer for this and that is.....DETONATOR. I hadn't ridden it before this year but got encouraged to go on on my first trip to TP - I was surprising chilled out and really enjoyed it. Second ride I panicked a bit and my third and final ride I was almost in tears. The thing I hate is going up to the top then when it stops. If I could click my fingers and be at the top for just a split second before the drop I would be fine because I quite enjoy the drop - it's just the hanging around I can't handle, especially when my anxiety kicks in.

So yeah.....out of rides I have ridden, Detonator is my answer. From rides I haven't ridden I would say Slammer - I don't trust those restraints at all and it looks like an uncomfortable ride.

There is only really one answer for this and that is.....DETONATOR. I hadn't rIdden it before this year but got encouraged to go on on my first trip to TP - I was surprising chilled out and really enjoyed it.

Must have been my soothing words that got you through it! Just before we got on I did think you might just collapse on the floor and die instead by the look on your face!

Must have been my soothing words that got you through it! Just before we got on I did think you might just collapse on the floor and die instead by the look on your face!

I never thought I would see the day when I would ride Detty and anyone that could get me on that deserves a pint or 7 (pluk)! - I remember many times watching my sister going on it and thinking she must be mad! All of my rides on Detonator I have got off and wanted to go straight back on again, but having not ridden it for a while, I genuinely don't think I could ever do it again. The audio that they played for FN left people up the top for far longer than I would personally like!

Drop rides (well the idea of them) have always scared me as I have a fear of falling - but having ridden Detonator I have since done Magma at Paultons Park, Skydrop at Adventure Island and that drop ride thang at The London Dungeons - although NONE of them are half as bad as they are free fall. Was watching a vid of Lex Luthor Drop of Doom and my face was a bit :o :O :o - just, no

For me anything that consists of a vertical slide where you are not not strapped in at all and you just allow the earths natural forces to do their work leaves me panicking. Only time on a ride you'll hear a genuine scream from me as some people heard at oakwood.

Might have somethin to do with as a kid on those things I really banged my head quite severely and it REALLY hurt.

For me anything that consists of a vertical slide where you are not not strapped in at all and you just allow the earths natural forces to do their work leaves me panicking. Only time on a ride you'll hear a genuine scream from me as some people heard at oakwood.

Might have somethin to do with as a kid on those things I really banged my head quite severely and it REALLY hurt.

And this is the footage of Peaj genuinely screaming on said ride in Oakwood :P

I've been thinking, I can't think of any ride that currently frighten me.

I used to get a bit of a 'feeling' at the top if Detonator, and it's only recently (past season or two) that I've been able to go on it without having to hold on. Apart from on my first go, it's never actually scared me though.

The only other ride I can think of that's actually scared me is Oblivion; even then, that was more the build up due to the excellent queue line videos.

So yeah, there's no rides which scare me actually. I guess that's a product of not having done many rides though...