Question about Annual Pass Efficiency

JamminGamer

Question

Greetings all!

So I've been a long time lurker on these forums and am currently planning some theme park trips in the Summer for next year and was wondering whether an annual pass would be efficient for my situation. Not really a quick question but from lurking on these forums for so long and from what I've seen you guys are pretty good with questions and I wasn't sure of where else I would post this :P

Okay to the point!

Myself and 2 others all above 18 at this point want to visit Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and possibly various other Merlin attractions like the dungeons, legoland, Tussauds etc in the end of June start of July time period and probably various other visits afterwards if we end up getting passes. Our plan is to spend 2 days at Alton Towers and stay in a hotel overnight on park to take advantage of the perks :)(since we went last year and didn't get around to doing everything we want to spend more time there :P). Not long after/before depending on times we do things, we would like to visit Thorpe Park for the day and possibly attend the Summer Nights event which we loved last year. As you are all most likely aware this will be a costly investment and we will need to pay for train travel to the towers as we live in the London area around 40 minutes from Thorpe and none of us drive/will be able to do so, so that adds to our costs as well as food and probably photos/merch, trying to work all this out myself is a tiresome event and requires god like spreadsheet skills so I thought I would pose my question to a more experienced crowd who I thought have likely experienced the same troubles as me

Feel free to ask me any questions about my plans in case I've missed anything and thanks in advance! :)

17 answers to this question

Hey there!

Judging by what you are looking at doing, I'd say get a Standard Merlin Annual Pass. If you buy online, it will cost £143 each. When you consider that entry to the parks is going to be £25-£30 each without an AP if you try and take advantage of all the offers the parks do, plus the likes of the London Attractions, it could easily tot up to over £150 just buying the entry tickets.

Plus, with an AP, you get the perks like 20% off shopping and eating, which could come in handy with the trips you have planned, and gets you discounts to Thorpe's Summer Nights if they run that again. It makes it a lot easier as well, as there's less faffing about with tickets and stuff. Also, with an AP, you have the added benefit of if you want to visit a park again, at a different time of you, you can do so without having to worry about entry - you get the extra freedom.

So personally, I think you should try get an AP. Also, if you have the funds available, keep an eye out over the end of December / January time like Ryan says, they usually do offers where you can get reduced APs - last year, you could get one for £99 for example. :)

With annual passes the good thing is that If you go a lot you save so much, think I have honestly saved nearly £500 from my annual pass. They are good if you go a lot like me but if you plan to go for only say 4 times to merlin theme parks for the whole year then maybe just normal tickets are better. But like josh said there are lots of savings to be had so I would decide if you want one soon to avoid disappointment!! :)

If we were to get Annual Passes which I think we are likely to at this point, we would probably go to Alton, Thorpe, Legoland, Chessington, Tussauds, Sea Life, Dungeongs and anywhere else around the area just because it would be free to do so XD I also think we would be likely to go a few times over the year to places like Thorpe since it's easy for us to get there and it would be free XD Thanks for all the help guys :)

If we were to get Annual Passes which I think we are likely to at this point, we would probably go to Alton, Thorpe, Legoland, Chessington, Tussauds, Sea Life, Dungeongs and anywhere else around the area just because it would be free to do so XD I also think we would be likely to go a few times over the year to places like Thorpe since it's easy for us to get there and it would be free XD Thanks for all the help guys :)

Well an MAP would b great for you as you will save a tonne of money no joke!

Just to throw this in there - I have a Merlin Membership instead of an annual pass as I couldn't afford to pay for a pass upfront. Memberships are quite new but you get the same perks as a pass (apart from the drinks capsules as they aren't included). So you get free entry, 20% discount on food/merch (photos not included boo!). I pay £12.99 per month for a standard pass or for £3 extra you can get Premium.

I agree about going for a standard pass if you don't drive but it would mean that you can't visit the London Merlin attractions during August (although they get really busy during August anyway) - also, with a standard pass you have to pay £5 for Fright Nights whereas with Premium you don't (not sure if this will change next year)

Finally, with a Merlin Membership you don't need to worry about renewal as it just carries on, unless you cancel it but, obviously you are binded into a contract for at least 12 months - I've saved a fortune with mine so far

That is just a £20 difference which, if you are intending on visiting for Fright Nights (which, if the same as last year is free for premium and £5 for standard), or intend on visiting London attractions during August then go for premium. I currently have standard merlin membership but hope to be able to (if I can) upgrade to premium once I have had it a year (not sure if you can do it before then) - did quite a few fright nights this year and hope to do several next year and with membership it is only a £3 difference. Main reason I did standard is because I don't drive. Sorry that was a waffly answer there!

Thanks for more info :) Always appreciated regardless of whether it is waffle XD

Anybody know how long the sales last? I'll probably try and get last day to get maximum usage!

Also would I be able to get a family pass and would that work for 3 teens (We'll all probably be over 18 at that point except one of us who will be 17)? XD

The Sale has no specified end date. Merlin will announce an end date whenever; expect it to be sudden and possibly around the middle of the month! In other words, they want you to buy ASAP!

I'm not sure about the family pass; you can have a maximum of 3 adults, so in theory, you should be able to. Best thing to do would be to contact Merlin directly; probably through their website. :)