2014 Season

Marc

I don't think we'll see it introduced this season.

It's a very bold system to introduce, and I think they'll need to trial it more in real life before actually implementing it. Maybe try it on a different ride as well if they can. I think it is something that really needs a lot of work (not to say they haven't already done that) before they consider actually implementing it.

Then again, if I remember correctly, some of the 'review questions' after the trial asked if people would be willing to pay for it, meaning it could be used as a way of replacing Fastrack.

So yeah, who knows. But I reckon if the park are serious about it all, they'll definitely trial it a couple more times this season.

If you consider the amount of money Disney have spent on their MyMagic+ system, that is still having a lot of issues, I think it's very unlikely that Thorpe/Merlin will be bringing anything as ambitious as the Fasttrack system proposed by the trial last year. It also wouldn't work - fast track in that style only moves queues around (ie by skipping one queue you are then waiting for longer in another where someone jumps ahead of you), it is a false system that was only invented to give the impression of being able to skip lines at parks when they were at their busiest (and so make visiting Magic Kingdom in high summer a more attractive proposition). The only people getting a tangible benefit from a queue booking system that applies to all visitors are those who know how to utilise the system to its most effective - which, to be honest, is something I've never been massively comfortable with anyway (and is why I'm not totally against the introduction of a more monetised system being rolled out at WDW). Queues are always formed when demand surpasses capacity, and no reservation system can change that, unless it limited people to less gos on big rides and utilised the 'spare' capacity on less popular attractions - something I'm sure most people would be very much against.

As Pluk says, the only way it will be introduced is as a more sophisticated version of the current paper system - with the potential to charge more for a more effective system. I can't see any parks bringing in wholesale changes in fast track systems until MyMagic+ has settled down and to see what kind of financial benefits and, to a lesser extent, increase in guest satisfaction, such an idea will have. I'm sure that Merlin will look at the idea of booking specific slots in advance - at the moment the vast majority of fast track users would decide on the day if it was necessary, and therefore not spend if the park is quiet. If Merlin can create a reservation system that gives the impression of needing to book in advance (as Disney have done successfully with the Dining Reservation system - which is a complete farce and would surely only be so enthusiastically lapped up by Americans) there's a chance they will make more money out of it.

On a side note - I'd love them to trial charging a lot more for fasttrack and find the tipping point between cost and people using it. If you could get half the amount of people to spend double on what fasttrack already costs it would make the whole experience better for everyone, and Merlin wouldn't be losing any money.

I'd love it for the parks to add high capacity attractions instead. That would be a joy wouldn't add, the parks with rides that don't need fastrack at all because the attractions are designed too eat through people as quickly and efficiently as possible. That way we could destroy the ideas that fastrack is the only way to enjoy a park.

Oh yeah, there is a park that does that... unfortunately its a minority. Every other park seems determined to add their own Dragons Fury or Storm Surge and throw a fastrack system at it.

As for queue less system, to be honest unless you paid a premium for it, then it will not be introduced. Merlin make far too much money out of Fast Track at the moment. It is their incentive for there to be big queues so they sell more Fast Track, then anyone who buys a Fast Track tells everyone how good it was jumping the queue.

The current system means they make lots of money from doing very little. Having a queue less system means they need lots of time money and effort to be spent and I seriously can't see it happening. I would rather they got the queue times correct on top of their rides first.