Thorpe Shark Hotel

Mitchada04

I prefer the boardwalk idea as it seems to have a theme within itself, and would fit... I just can't see the other idea working.

Why not have both? Or am I missing something where it implies one can't happen without the other? The shark thing was just a piece of entrance art wasn't it?

Oh well, both are awesome concepts. Gotta love the shark...

April could mean 30th April though.

If these plans have been in place for a while, they may just go with the most popular one and submit plans quite soon. The actual ideas themselves don't look particularly difficult to construct, so a three month period to do so seems almost realistical.

it's nice to see them putting these great ideas out there, and asking for opinions, whether they're actually taking any notice of them or not? in terms of the entrance system for the crash pads - was weird seeing people leave and enter through the small annual pass and crash pad entrance, with all their luggage struggling to squeeze past people queueing to get in the park...

do we know how close in the future we are expecting to see a new entrance, as I guess they could get away with it for another season or so.

Not sure why these aren't appearing on my FB timeline :/ I don't know how people are finding them!

Any of these would be fab tbh. I like them!

I love the idea of a dock / boardwalk along the edge of the lake. I believe that was the plan for the 'real hotel' in the pipeline. Also reminds me on Universal's resort :) If done well that could actually be beautiful.

Not sure about the scrap iron shark though - we need less destroyed stuff imo.

It's strange for me; the photos aren't coming up on my timeline either, nor can I find them on Thorpe's timeline. I only seem to find them when a friend, somehow, finds it and it appears on my Timeline that they've liked it! :S

Not sure about the scrap iron shark though - we need less destroyed stuff imo.

I'd normally agree with you here, but I think the shark is rather quirky and, to a degree, funny. It looks clever and pleasing to the eye, and I think it's something a lot of people would remember.

That's my main trouble with the board walk idea. As nice as it looks, I don't think it's got that special edge which would make people remember it. It is very much the typical board walk though (when I saw it, it felt very classic), so maybe that feel will work well. Hard to tell from concept art of course. I still think it's a great idea though.

From the 3 that have been shown, I think that if we could have the shark or ship lead to this tranquil board walk (as a lost, peaceful area or something), it would be amazing. Would be happy to see any of it though!

I like these concepts. If the Waterfront Hotel turns out to look like one of these (rather than just the Crash Pad with a different colour) then I'll be impressed (and maybe consider staying there in the future).

To be honest, whilst the shark idea is good, I don't think it would fit as one of the first things that guests see as they enter the park.

Where are those concept art pictures coming from? (As in where have Thorpe posted them?)

I'd normally agree with you here, but I think the shark is rather quirky and, to a degree, funny. It looks clever and pleasing to the eye, and I think it's something a lot of people would remember.

Yeah that is true. I do like all 3, and I can't see a reason why all 3 can't happen really :P

Where are those concept art pictures coming from? (As in where have Thorpe posted them?)

It's baffling me tbqh!

• 1 month later...

They are trying to cash in on younger hotel guests and this is a good thing, but I do wonder how long this will be the case before several groups of 16-18 year olds get up to no good and spoil it for everyone.

Don't get me wrong, there are some very responsible 16-18 year olds, but they won't be able to drink alcohol in the dome, so what are the chances they bring alcohol into the hotel and have a room party? Of course 18+ will do the same, but at 18 they are adults and responsible for their own actions.

The type of guests you get a Alton Towers, Legoland and Chessington are couples, families, where Thorpe will naturally attract teens on a birthday weekend out with friends who are just out to have a good laugh with little or no respect to guests in adjacent rooms. Many times in Orlando we had noisy teens when an entire school/college brought a few hundred kids.

They are trying to cash in on younger hotel guests and this is a good thing, but I do wonder how long this will be the case before several groups of 16-18 year olds get up to no good and spoil it for everyone.

Don't get me wrong, there are some very responsible 16-18 year olds, but they won't be able to drink alcohol in the dome, so what are the chances they bring alcohol into the hotel and have a room party? Of course 18+ will do the same, but at 18 they are adults and responsible for their own actions.

The type of guests you get a Alton Towers, Legoland and Chessington are couples, families, where Thorpe will naturally attract teens on a birthday weekend out with friends who are just out to have a good laugh with little or no respect to guests in adjacent rooms. Many times in Orlando we had noisy teens when an entire school/college brought a few hundred kids.

The same rules were in place last year if I remember correctly, so I don't think it'd be that much of a problem!

http://www.merlinentertainments.biz/458DF475-3A9D-467B-B311-A9C0F9FD62AA.CFILE (From a link Benin posted in the Merlin topic).

Go down to Slide 21 and it says "Thorpe Park - 'Shark Hotel'". Looks like we have a preferred concept!

Really glad they chose that idea. It's different, quirky, clever, and works. Certainly think it will look great when you are entering the park! Hopefully guests will 'take the bait' and fall for this slight gimmick 'hook, line and sinker'. ;)

it's weird how as far as I'm aware all signs of the name 'waterfront hotel' has been removed and says 'on-site hotel'

so could we be seeing this shark theme implemented ready for the opening season... I would have expected it more for 2015 if they were as it's probably taken enough effort to change swap the crash pads over to their own ones.

I found this online which kinda confirms it's happening if it's on a job application:

"The excitement is building up at THORPE PARK Resort as the new Hotel is being built right now, ready for the official opening in April 2014. This is not just any hotel; this is a new THORPE Shark Hotel concept. Located within the Park the THORPE PARK Hotel will have 90 rooms and promises simple but stylish accommodation with a fun and quirky personality."

http://www.caterer.com/JobSeeking/Hotel-Experience-Manager---Thorpe-Park---Chertsey-Surrey_job59011031