Chessington Fire 21/12/13

Marc

'All the animals have been evacuated from the zoo' turned out to mean...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10532393/Santas-Grotto-blaze-closes-Chessington-theme-park.html

2 Reindeer.

Confirmed today as a heater that caused the fire. Oh dear!

You got any source for confirmation of that confirmation?

EDIT - scrub that...

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/topstories/10894975.Chessington_World_of_Adventures_fire__caused_by_heater_/?ref=var_0

If that turns out to be the true cause I doubt insurance would even cover it as it is their own fault, so don't expect any cafe replacement or amazing (well funded) job on the fix up!

Quite concerning that a heater may have started this fire.

I've never been in Creaky at all even when it was refresh but the cause could well be due to the fact it was still using the old heaters when it was just covered seating outside (if they had any) or the heater was too close to Christmas decorations and furniture existing in the building. Who knows, maybe they kept the heaters on all night.

I'm worried they won't get insured as this is the case as not just would they lose money but we could see further budget cuts, price increases and perhaps Creaky Cafe gone forever with an SBNO Bubbleworks next year (if the damage is fairly major).

Completely not true, Yes it was to do with a heater within the creaky café. But the reluctancy to invest in indoor heaters is untrue. The heaters used were general heating withing the eating area, I remember visiting this year and they were on, but out of the way, high up in the ceiling. Theses had been used for many year in this location without any problems from past visits. The problem was with the Ents team not keeping the area tidy, and using a little common sense .

Theses had been used for many year in this location without any problems from past visits. The problem was with the Ents team not keeping the area tidy, and using a little common sense .

Well I'm not trying to pass the blame around but common sense to me is not using electric heaters in such a small space in the first place.

Yes, they were fine for years as Refresh/Alpine Spa but that was simply a shelter over some benches. It would therefore be impossible to heat something up to the point of catching fire because the energy would immediately escape outside. When they built walls around it the heat would have become trapped and built up, which meant fewer electrical heaters should have been used. Either that or install proper heating that actually takes convection into account and doesn't burnt things.

image_update_img.jpg

The heater are in the roof, ornaments can't fall upwards! :P And their trees weren't that tall.

Oh well, I just hope Chessington move on from this incident. And build a nice lovely BubbleWorks extended queueline in its place so we don't need that cattlemen taking up space in Transylvania anymore.

Could have been as simple as a tree ornament falling onto one and catching fire. From the looks of the incinerated interior though we'll probably never know exactly how it happened.

Yes, I'd have thought it would be something like that, they're not armatures and they have written H&S processes to follow and sign off. I would imagine the heaters had some sort of manufacturers recommended guidelines covering how close any item can safely be and that's what they'd have done. Either something hasn't been set up right and moved closer or the manufacturers guidelines were wrong. If it is not either of those things and they simply hadn't thought about it then they are idiots, but I'd find it really hard to think that would be the case with the amount of people that would have looked at it at some point during set up and operation. That would be a staggering amount of idiots!

Yes, I'd have thought it would be something like that, they're not armatures and they have written H&S processes to follow and sign off. I would imagine the heaters had some sort of manufacturers recommended guidelines covering how close any item can safely be and that's what they'd have done. Either something hasn't been set up right and moved closer or the manufacturers guidelines were wrong. If it is not either of those things and they simply hadn't thought about it then they are idiots, but I'd find it really hard to think that would be the case with the amount of people that would have looked at it at some point during set up and operation. That would be a staggering amount of idiots!

We are talking about Chessie here...

image_update_img.jpg

The heater are in the roof, ornaments can't fall upwards! :P And their trees weren't that tall.

Oh well, I just hope Chessington move on from this incident. And build a nice lovely BubbleWorks extended queueline in its place so we don't need that cattlemen taking up space in Transylvania anymore.

The irony of the extinguisher sitting by the door. Tut-tut-tut.