New for 2014 - World Edition

Spider

So, as Thorpe are completely silent on anything new for next year, and as it's very almost the new year, I thought it would be interesting to have a little discussion about all the new and exciting things happening around the theme park world this year (CBeebies Land - Woo!). This is not a 'tell me what I could just go a Google' thread, and I realise discussing lots of new things that we'll very likely not actually get to ride is a bit counter-intuitive. However, if, like me, you spend a fair bit of time perusing theme park stuff on the internet, it's always interesting to have a chat about what everyone is potentially going to be talking about this year.

So to start off with, there are two very obvious big openings in Florida which will be guaranteed to generate discussion, mud slinging, and excitement, for most of the year. Namely, Magic Kingdom's Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster and Universal Studios Florida's Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley. It's amusing to me to think that at nearly the same time DIsney will be opening a mid-sized family ride that has taken years and years to arrive, Universal will be opening an entire new land, with two massive rides, that has sprung up in the space of a couple of years. The Mine Train Coaster looks like it will be cute, but it also seems to me that Disney have shot themselves in the foot by, perhaps accidentally, creating such a buzz around the ride, because it looks like a fairly short mid=sized ride. Probably all it was intended to be, but if you sit on a project for so long its inevitably going to create this kind of reception. Who knows, it might be amazing (and probably will be at least excellent!).

Closer to home, I've been eagerly following the snippets of news about Phantasialand's Chiapas. The theming looks sensational, and having visited the park I know that they put a lot of effort into every ride that they do - hopefully it will be a fantastic water/dark ride cross. Come on UK, you are allowed to build dark rides!

So over to the rest of you! What have you been following in the lead up to this year? What's going to be amazing, and what's going to be rubbish? Maybe at the end of the season we'll be able to look back at this and see how right or wrong we were.

I don't really understand the ferocity of some of the doing down of 7 Dwarfs before anyone has even seem the damn thing. I think it looks stunning when taken in context of the area that has been created around it and the ride concept with the swing cars sounds like it will be a brilliant thing to me, possibly with a feeling akin to a good old suspended coaster. It looks like it will be in large part a dark ride with a coaster element and I've seen nothing to suggest that any of it won't be up to the usual Disney standard. That sort of thing does it for me. I couldn't give the tiniest crap about the Harry Potter franchise so that development is of less interest even though I'm sure the rides and themeing will be as stunning as ever.

Helix is the most exciting thing for me out there at the moment, it looks sickeningly good.

UK developments seem very thin on the ground this year. With Merlin having a a close to zero investment year all round it seems like it would have been a perfect opportunity for one of the independents to come out with a big thrill attraction and steal a slice from the big boy while they are dozing, unfortunately for them and for us that seems to be an opportunity entirely missed. Unless I've not noticed something somewhere? Is there really nothing on this island worth worrying about this year?

I've heard rumours about something new going to Oakwood, but nothing more than just people saying "Well, there's going to be something, but I can't say what." Other than that, I don't think there's anything big or exciting happening anywhere in the UK really!

One project I'm really looking forward to is Arthur - The Ride at Europa Park. It's Mack's first suspended coaster, and is powered, and has interactive moments where you can make the seats spin to view certain scenes, apparently. It seems like an amazing dark ride experience with the fun of a roller coaster added as well. It'll be really interesting to see how well it works (then again, I can't think of many, if any, bad Mack project thus far...) and if the idea takes off at other parks!

The opening of Cinecitta World in Italy is another thing I'm looking forward. Genuinely can't wait to see pictures of the place once it's open, as so many of the attractions look to have top-notch theming. Will be interesting to see how the tweaked Intamin 10-inversion will be received as well.

There's a couple of really good-looking coasters I'm keeping my eyes on too - Helix, Heide Park's wing coaster and Banshee at Kings Island all look pretty sweet. Helix specifically surely has the potential to challenge for a top 10 spot, and from what I've heard about other Mack Megas, it should not disappoint. But that's something we won't find out until it's open, I guess. Also agree with you Spider about Chiapas; a real shame it didn't open this year, but I can't wait to read reviews of how it actually rides!

Thanks for contributing guys!

As soon as I'd posted, I realised I'd forgotten the most exciting European ride, which is opening very close to the UK - Disneyland Paris' Ratatouille trackless dark ride. By all accounts, Disney's two previous forays into the system, namely Tokyo's 'Pooh's Hunny Hunt' and Hong Kong's 'Mystic Manor', are among the best dark rides in the world, so us Europeans should be very excited about seeing what they will come up with for Paris. I just hope they haven't scrimped in a typical DLP way, and it is as visually impressive and immersive as both those rides seem to be.

I'd forgotten about that ride at Europa Park, which is exactly why I started this thread. The combination of thinking it was just a bog standard family coaster (Europa Park, so should have known better) and the rubbish IP, meant that I haven't given it any thought for ages. It does, indeed, sound very good, and as it's at the world's greatest theme park it will probably be amazing!

I've heard rumours about something new going to Oakwood, but nothing more than just people saying "Well, there's going to be something, but I can't say what." Other than that, I don't think there's anything big or exciting happening anywhere in the UK really!

The park have confirmed that there will be a "new investment" in the place of Brer Rabbit. Apart from that, nobody knows anything else. It could be anything from a re-theme to a new ride!

The park have confirmed that there will be a "new investment" in the place of Brer Rabbit. Apart from that, nobody knows anything else. It could be anything from a re-theme to a new ride!

I would hope a new ride of some sorts but if it is a retheme like pluk said on the oakwood topic I wouldnt be disheartened, just hoping for better in 2015 :P. For me I am most looking forward to Helix and the wing coaster coming in heide park as well as chiapas. even though it is for 2015 I am most excited for KARNEN as gerst's are amazing for airtime so I think Hansa are on for a winner!

I had totally forgotten about Ratatouille too! as a dark ride it really is hard to know until it's open but if it is up to the standards of the other uses of that hardware then it could be by far the best thing coming nest year. It's seems to have been in development for forever so it should be good by now!

Coasters that also excite me :P

Lightning run (Kentucky Kingdom)

HyperGTX-10_8x10_600dpi.jpg

Firechaser Express (Dollywood)

FireChaser-Express-Video-Dollywood.jpg

Flying Over The Rain Forest (Ocean Kingdom)

qNbXQ.jpg

Goliath (Six Flag Great America)

hqq00bckkjf8001gbh8000.jpg

Medusa Steel Coaster (Six Flags Mexico)

maxresdefault.jpg

Unknown (Holiday Park) (Image of Superman: Ultimate Flight)

superman-coming-to-discovery-kingdom-201

Unknown 10 Looper (Cinecitta world)

corkscrewcoaster.jpg

I'm sure there will be more new coasters soon but these are the awesome ones that havent already been said on here! :P

I don't think it's been mentioned yet so as some people know there's the world's longest Inverted coaster opening in the former Son of Beast area of Kings Island called Banshee. I'm reasonably looking forward to seeing the end result (not that I'll get to ride it in the near future though) to see whether it is a regular plain American coaster with little theming or whether they actually try to make the area spooky and like the concept images and videos.

Concept POV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HmYtk28wYk

I'm interested in seeing how the restraints will be received for Banshee, as they're going for the restraints only seen on wingriders to date. B&M don't normally tweak things a lot; they seem to get most things right first time. Whilst I doubt it will cause any major differences to the ride experience, it will be interesting to see if it actually does...

Have to say I'm most looking forward to seeing what this Diagon Alley coaster turns out to be like. I'm not a massive Potter fan but after riding Forbidden Journey and what they did with The Mummy back in 2004, it's very exciting to see how a dark ride/coaster/3D whatever it's going to be will turn out. I love that we still know hardly anything about it, did anyone ever work out the company or are the rumours of it still being a massive coaster company collaboration floating around?

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train- It's a Vekoma and Disney, just look at Thunder Mountain and Expedition Everest, both great rides. This will probably be a bit tamer, it is in a more younger family styled area but still, it will be immersive, fun and who doesn't want to hear Hi Ho all throughout a ride?

interested to see how these even more crazy RMC creations turn out and how they are received with the likes of Outlaw Run and even modern GCI's, White Lightning at Fun Spot Orlando is an amazing little woodie with so much speed!

B&M must be trying to get hype into their inverts again with the new train design. I really don't know what to think about it. I like the idea of having the gap in the middle two seats each row to give a clearer view for everyone but I don't think it will add much, and wingrider style restraints? As long as the vest doesn't tighten I think it will be alright.

There are quite a few interesting new concepts happening over the world, and then we're getting well what are we even getting? Revamps of existing rides theming because it was dangerous and another IP childrens area. Yay.

In terms of 2014 investments, I'm really looking forward to the new Harry Potter World plans for the new Diagon Alley area with also the Gringotts Coaster and Hogwarts Express ride. I doubt I'll be going there for a while but from what I've seen it looks brilliant.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a interesting one. For a small coaster, the theming being implied looks excellent and if this experience is impressive like Cars land, this could be a big hit for the park.

Banshee could go two ways, especially with those Wingrider restraints, it could either be an impressive thrilling ride, or another typical American B&M with little to no theming or experience involved.

Fire Chaser express, looks a great fun family coaster and will hopefully fill the gap of a family coaster at the park following the mystery mine and eagle wing rider coasters they've built for thrill seekers in recent years.

Must say, Goliath doesn't impress me, the layout is strange, the supports look out of place and the whole coaster just seems to be made for the gimmicks.

Heide Park's Wingrider is what I'm most looking forward to next year. It looks a big and impressive coaster with great interactions of the surrounding area plus also the theming and other elements being added to the ride.

Arthur the ride at Europa looks another great coaster for the park and though perhaps not quite as impressive as Blue Fire and Wodan, still looks a very exciting coaster and addition to the park.