Angry Birds Land

Marc

So, we'll have Angry Birds 4D which will no doubt appeal more to the younger market, the dodgems which appeal to all (though will likely be a bit of the tame side for 'hardcore thrill seekers') and Detonator for 'hardcore thrill seekers'. Perfect family land surely?

Oh yeah, it kind of has worked out really well. I approve then.

I'd argue that the ideal family area consists of rides the family can ride together and enjoy, rather than splitting up to do rides individually...

An effort is not a word many would associate with Merlin additions... Indeed, to me effort will take more than a couple of fibreglass statues squeezed in because an IP is easier to market to the masses... Indeed, if you want to see an IP ride with effort, then Arthur is the answer...

One of the Finland parks already has a themed area... I doubt Thorpe's will look much different...

I'm quite mixed in terms of this new investment.

I think its great that the park are now investing in something that appeals more for the family market, however at the same time can appeal to older people too unlike CBeebies land.

I think the 4D movie could be very good and also use an area of the park which has been disused as well. I guess the Dodgems will be located where on of the arcade areas currently lye, although I hope they present it nicely as to make a great fun addition.

My only concerns are with Detonator as I hope they don't ruin the ride's presentation, as the ride looks okay in its current state.

I think providing this Angry Birds movie does come out in a couple of years, then this area should last a while.

I think this is a strong move, Angry birds, is an IP that's universally open to all ages, anyone and everyone plays angry birds so whilst this can sway more towards the family market which is what the park needs to do if they what to step back from being just a thrill park and become Thorpe Park Resort, dodgems is an ok addition, again universal audience, 4D film was expected again fairly universal audience, I'm interested as to where the dodgems go and suprised there not spreading the IP into ranger county which IMO would be great, yes it would loose some of the parks history but times do change.

Out of the 3 rides in the area, 2 of them will appeal to all and it will just be Detonator which is for the more grown up audience

Do you really think adults will want to see the 4D cinema?

I'm sure Moshi Monsters' film got it's popularity from waves of adults dashing to go and see it and weren't pestered by their children one little bit...

Add to the fact that most 4D cinemas are utter crap, and well, one ride out of three being of the broad spectrum ain't bad is it?

EDIT - Found a pic of the area in Finland (because Lightwater's is only an 'Activity Park'), so this is the level of 'effort' we'll be seeing...

article-2148493-133BA42C000005DC-67_634x

Didn't see that coming!

I'm in 2 minds about this really.

I like...

- New family rides! Can't go wrong with that at TP

- 4D cinema no longer SBNO

- Detonator getting some love

- Dodgems and 4D Cine offer 'something different' at Thorpe

- it's a welcome splash of colour and happiness in a generally morbidly themed park :P

- A return of the themed lands elsewhere soon too??

Not so sure about...

- Amity being chopped in half, unless they've got plans for Stealth fairly soon perhaps?

- I don't see the appeal with the Angry Birds Franchise tbqh

- The one in Finland looks a bit crap if we're telling the truth.

Overall I think it'll be a nice little area really, and it's more than I was expecting from Thorpe this year :) Good luck to them!

They aren't a resort though.

"-New family rides! Can't go wrong with that at TP...

"They aren't a resort though."

Thorpe Park have been making conscious efforts to remove any association they have with the family market over the last few years in favour of a more visceral and grimy presentation, yet they now seem to be attempting to reverse this. It's indecisive and demonstrates a limited sense of direction or purpose for the future. They need to conceive a plan for their progression and fulfil it over time to achieve a less confused image, rather than make hasty decisions and introduce new IP material - realistically, I would say that the addition of a small Angry Birds area simply makes the objectives of the park less clear than before and doesn't expand appeal...

...this is a strange decision.

The thing with this is it can go either ways quite easily. If it is successful, they could add one or two small kid rides next year, much like how Thomas Land gets something every single year (hopefully Thorpe would also have some money to spend on something else too though!). If it isn't popular, they can go till the end of the contract (hopefully they haven't signed for too long) and easily change the 4D film to something else and change the dodgems and Detonator to a different theme.

The only thing that worries me at the moment, the mish mash of themes. If the dodgems go on the games part (which is seeming most likely) you've got a split Amity. Meaning you'll go from WWTP Radio through some weird game sounds or whatever then back to Amity Speedway. Also, if the 4D cinema still exits out onto the Teacups (this may be changed for this season) then by going into an Angry Birds attraction, you'll end up leaving the area? Confusing unless the cups get rethemed, but then that really isolates Stealth. And Stealth does not need retheming.

I just hope the dodgems don't have those POINTLESS lap bars like at chessington. They don't even lock... and they just hurt your legs. Although I was in a situation when a lady's dodgem wasn't working and she got out and fell over and nearly got killed, they could at least make them lock. They are the most absolutely unnecessary lap bars ever... if you are going to have bars Thorpe, please make them lock and be COMFORTABLE (:

The thing is, this is the perfect theme for the park. The park has been crying out to have a fun area for ages, and now it's finally getting one. Hopefully this will see the slow reintroduction of themed areas again too.

As for Detonator, I expect a very small retheme, perhaps with a slight change in audio. It could easily be that there's a bunch of pigs at the top of the ride, and an angry bird crashes into it, causing a similar 'bang' / 'explosion' noise to cue the drop. Simples.

Back from the dead wahey...

I love the optimism here Josh, however, when you say "the park has been crying out to have a fun area for ages, and now it's finally getting one," I can't help but think it's still a bit bittersweet. Yes, it's a new theme, but it will simply be the same area with what looks to be faint or nuanced efforts that'll be spread so thin it'll be hard to tell it apart from the area it is now. It's the obsession with sporadic themeing that means anyone with the misfortune to have visited Thorpe as often as I have will look at (the unimaginatively named) Angry Birds Land and see nothing more than the current Calypso Quay with a few shinier bits that deeply upsets me. It's not going to be a new area to us, it is? It'll be a slapdash lick of paint here and there and a few extra bits that'll stand out garishly against the chipped and rusted Nemesis Inferno and surrounding areas.

Of course, Thorpe aren't aiming to please bored enthusiasts who've realised there's better out there - they're aiming for the family market and in particular a demographic whose age means that instinctively will find pleasure and escapism in a few plastic pigs and some dodgems. Chuck in the infectiously catchy soundtrack from the game and you'll have them falling over each other to get a piece of the action. It's just a bit of an easy way out really.

Any IPs in a park of Thorpe's budget and size are just a waste of money. No imagination, no innovation, no appeal; not enough space or consistency to separate them from other areas, not not enough of a budget to realise them properly.

Actually going back and thinking about it, I am very concerned for Thorpe at this point. They seem to be way ahead of themselves and what they are producing seems like not very good and mainly over-advertised. I don't think they are really concerned about what goes in the park at all, it all seems a bit slap-dash to me. It seems like they are advertising it as something much bigger than it is actually going to be. Yes, it seems like they are moving towards the family market and I appreciate they are trying to cater for all, but it doesn't seem like they are going to create a quality land which has actually taken thought and time to prepare, it just seems like something to try and get more people to start coming to 'the resort' to me. I think this idea could work really well, however I have doubts that they will do the land up well at all...

Also the issue of the VERY late opening. Yes it's only two months after park opening, BUT this means for those two months I regret to say that Thorpe is not going to be a very great place to visit. Constructions fences everywhere etc... it will just make the park look like a mess. It also means, that part of the park will be closed off during the first few months, creating a worse experience; certainly detonator will be closed but surrounding rides(teacups and possibly rumba) may have to be closed as well. This is where I then get concerned at the price rise to £50, especially if they are going to have some of the park closed before May, I don't think they can justify charging that high.

My point is, this isn't going to work unless it is themed well and the other areas are themed as well, so there is a distinction when you walk between lands etc. I hope this goes well and I hope it means a better future for Thorpe but at the moment I cannot be sure... :wacko:

I know we won't be getting a new coaster in 2015, but after this family investment for second year running if you include X retheme... 2015 has to bring something for thrill seekers, if they still have the cheek to call themselves thrill capital!

don't get me wrong I do welcome the idea of this, as it brings back the 4D cinema and with what will probably be a great film, as well as dodgems which is always welcomed and well received by all ages, and detonator being changed a bit can't do any harm.

I know we won't be getting a new coaster in 2015, but after this family investment for second year running if you include X retheme... 2015 has to bring something for thrill seekers, if they still have the cheek to call themselves thrill capital!

don't get me wrong I do welcome the idea of this, as it brings back the 4D cinema and with what will probably be a great film, as well as dodgems which is always welcomed and well received by all ages, and detonator being changed a bit can't do any harm.

If we are lucky we will get a Waltzer :wacko:

Yes, it's a new theme, but it will simply be the same area with what looks to be faint or nuanced efforts that'll be spread so thin it'll be hard to tell it apart from the area it is now.

I don't get comments like this (I don't mean to pick on just you!)

But we've not even seen plans for this area yet so I don't see what we are basing opinions such as this on?

Thorpe Park have been making conscious efforts to remove any association they have with the family market over the last few years in favour of a more visceral and grimy presentation, yet they now seem to be attempting to reverse this. It's indecisive and demonstrates a limited sense of direction or purpose for the future. They need to conceive a plan for their progression and fulfil it over time to achieve a less confused image, rather than make hasty decisions and introduce new IP material - realistically, I would say that the addition of a small Angry Birds area simply makes the objectives of the park less clear than before and doesn't expand appeal...

Are the decisions that hasty though? They've been gradually re-focusing on the family market for a few years now, with Storm Surge, the new "resort", X's refurb, and now 2 new family rides + area for 2014.

I wouldn't call that a hasty decision. This is a gradual re-brand in to a more diverse resort.

No imagination, no innovation, no appeal; not enough space or consistency to separate them from other areas, not not enough of a budget to realise them properly.

Yeah I agree with the imagination / innovation thing tbh.

Look at all the effort and creativity they put in to the Swarm - and that was seen as a flop! But if these franchise things are more successful, that's the way it will be I guess :(

such a shame.

I think they'll make the best of it though, and I still think this new land is a positive thing :)

For all we know this could turn out to be the best themed area of the park :P We're just going to have to wait and see what they do.

nothing new for thrill seekers whatsoever this year in any uk theme park by the looks of it... and all 4 merlin theme parks are getting rethemes of family areas with nothing completely new as such (except dodgems). great planning merlin with all 4 parks together having a family year... although I'm sure alton will still advertise the smiler, after the disappointing opening year (which makes sense they have a young family based year though).