Angry Birds Land

Marc

You actually contradicted yourself in your post by saying it looks crap but you will reserve your judgement as it's not finished.

If you are reserving any judgement, don't make a statement that 'a few figurines don't cut it' - because:

A - The area hasn't even begun construction yet, all that's happened is the buildings have been painted.

B - A tiny fraction of the area's thematics has arrived.

I was expressing an opinion on what I've seen so far, which is different to saying "the area is crap" before seeing it finished.

Because to be honest, we were shown a highly themed concept image for Storm Surge, then look at the result. We were also promised the world's most terrifying live action horror maze, when in reality it was mediocre at best.

Surely you can see why I'm having doubts about the area?

You actually contradicted yourself in your post by saying it looks crap but you will reserve your judgement as it's not finished.

If you are reserving any judgement, don't make a statement that 'a few figurines don't cut it' - because:

A - The area hasn't even begun construction yet, all that's happened is the buildings have been painted.

B - A tiny fraction of the area's thematics has arrived.

Tell you what Ricky, if Angry Birds Land is up there thematically with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the France area of Europa Park, I'll definitly buy you a beer.

Providing the bird models aren't exclusive to the signs, this makes expectations of the new area slightly better so far. Whilst I'll wait til the areas done, it does look a bit like Balamory around that area like some have mentioned.

Also, still no citing of the dodgems yet, hopefully the approval gone through now.

You'd think both parties would want to make the most out of a brand that is dying? Y'know, kick some life into it....

My negativity is solely based on fibreglass figures and a splash of paint, though true the area isn't finished but I would bet that not much more is to come, I would have liked a complete area overhaul and not just touch ups here and there.

But hay! Profit!

You'd think both parties would want to make the most out of a brand that is dying? Y'know, kick some life into it....

My negativity is solely based on fibreglass figures and a splash of paint, though true the area isn't finished but I would bet that not much more is to come, I would have liked a complete area overhaul and not just touch ups here and there.

But hay! Profit!

You've literally only seen the base colour of the building and some of the models, there's bound to be more theming added yet!

The pessimism around this place is unbelievable at times.

Sorry, I'm just basing my opinion from Saw, Storm Surge, X, Stealth... I guess I should keep faith in Thorpe Park.

Well summed up, plus with other Merlin park additions recently being of a rather 'meh' standard, the expectation levels for this aren't ever going to be high...

Short-term reactive business at its best/worst really, but not surprising from a park that would blame a poor yearly performance on a ride rather than external matters...

It's by Saw Alive, they're dotted around the park for the Easter event.

Ah, my mistake. I was just thinking if they were in the saw the ride queueline and people were getting hyped and scared and they saw the angry bird... Well I think they would just think it was a bit weird!

Ah, SAW Alive, a particularly well used area of the park currently.... :ph34r:

I will also withhold judgement on Angry Birds land until it's all in place - keeping things positive though, I'm pleased that P4D appears to being renovated well with this mention of seats - good to see a SBNO ride being redeveloped, SAW Alive next plz?

As a side note too, since there was a photo or two in the TPM update, the more I see of the new Thorpe Park branding the more I like it (I've said that before, but I will say it again) - you could argue it's boring, I personally think it looks slick and modern and even if you aren't enamored by it, it's a vast improvement on cheap and nasty misbehaving big-heads in-yer-face everywhere.

*Awaits a 'This is just 2D stickers on a wall, Angry Birds Land will be awful' style post*.

Assuming this type of style is adopted onto many of the buildings in the area along with the 3D models and entrance signs that we know of, the area should look quite nice.

Fingers crossed there's going something a bit more special with the area though!

*Awaits a 'This is just 2D stickers on a wall, Angry Birds Land will be awful' style post*.

Oh.. So I should be pretending that this is theming of the grandest scale then. That it truly is more then the sum of its parts and that it will go down in History as the greatest themed area of all time.

Come on man, at least understand why people think this is a bit iffy, it does strike as the cheapest and easiest thing they could get away with.

Oh.. So I should be pretending that this is theming of the grandest scale then. That it truly is more then the sum of its parts and that it will go down in History as the greatest themed area of all time.

Come on man, at least understand why people think this is a bit iffy, it does strike as the cheapest and easiest thing they could get away with.

Of course not. It is by no means great, immersive theming which we should all be clambering over and applauding Merlin for. In fact, I am surprised that we are seeing 2D stickers there of all places. I was thinking that - especially on the higher up ledges - some 3D bits of theming could easily be placed there, away from vandalism of guests, and could be secured down with relative ease at a low-ish cost. So I do see why people think this is a bit iffy and are having concerns.

However, that part of my post was more referring to the point people will jump the gun. No doubt there's people thinking that the area is going to look awful, and will be using this 'theming' as the basis of their thoughts. However, we know there's more to come - the Angry Bird 'figures' themselves, the entrance structures (basing that off the plans admittedly, but they look good in the plans and I see no reason to doubt why they would not be built), plus there's the dodgems, which will likely come with some styling / theming.

Another thing to remember here is that this is quite a low investment. Yes, that doesn't excuse everything ('why should a company the size of Merlin be adding in 'cheap' investments?' is a question you could ask, and rightfully so too), but a balance has to be struck between creating a good experience and meeting a budget. Whether Thorpe will have gotten the balance right with Angry Birds Land, we're yet to see.

I think that, once completed, the area will look nice. I can see where people's concerns are coming from, but I do think it is just a hasty reaction at seeing some of the (hopefully cheaper) theming being put up and people judging too quickly. I'm not saying it's going to be an amazing themed experience as it won't be, but I don't think it will be awful like some people have said, and are probably still thinking. :)

As far as I know, they are metal plates rather than stickers. At least they won't slowly peel off the wall any time soon. I'm sure there will be plenty to look at when the area closes in a few weeks time to add the 3D stuff in.

Oh and the Angry Bird's positioned around the park are for the egg hunt, I can only assume they didnt want to make them so obvious that everyone can see them... I mean if they put a huge building, with blocks and TNT it would be a little obvious.