Angry Birds Land

Marc

As a minor update more of the 2D visuals were being added to the wall facing Tetley Teacups today. Also Dodgems queue line is in the process of being built :)

Small construction update of Angry Birds Land over at Total Thorpe Park, mainly showing the work that Ricky mentioned!

2014mayconstruction7.jpg

Also - apologies if this has been posted already - but Park World reported on the new Angry Birds development back in their February issue. Park World is largely a trade magazine and it looks as if Rovio/3DBA/Simworx are trying hard to sell the film to other parks - don't think Thorpe has any kind of exclusivity on the film!

Whilst Thorpe Park might be the first place for fans to enjoy the new Angry Birds 4D experience this spring, there are currently opportunities for other venues worldwide, starting this season if you are quick enough.

The article also confirms that the new Simworx theatre at Thorpe seats 326 people, and effects include water sprays, air blasts, leg ticklers and back pokers.

Linky

Bumper cars construction update -

10320412_646738465381456_658595709261163

(Photo from TPG facebook)

You can sort of see where the que is going to be now, going round the back of the dodgems. I can't really tell from the picture but it looks like an extension que going out towards the left? Can imagine this getting very big ques throughout the day, especially with the amount of fast track they will probably let through. Can't wait to see what it will look like when it's done though! :)

I love how slow the dodgems have taken to be built.

Slowest dodgem building ever.

I agree, bearing in mind fairs can wack them up over night.

To be fair, they have only just started constructing it, hence why they have also blocked off the walkway between Tidal Wave and Stealth.

See guys, this is what happens when we complain that Merlin only do dark themes, they bring out the primary colours in such a garish fashion (Cbeebies as well, even if that's because they need to attract the attention of the target market for that one)...

Bring back Central Area!

Press Release from the park - https://www.thorpepark.com/media/1675/angry-birds-land-opens-24-may-2014.pdf

Doesn't really say anything new really. Confirms all the effects in the cinema and that the 7 3D models used during Easter will of course be a part of the Land. Baring in mind the small area the land takes up, to have all of those models in the area should look nice. Also states a 'meet and great' with Red Bird, which will be...interesting.

One other thing I think it noteworthy from the release, though not relating to Angry Birds Land itself, is how when they list the major coasters later on, Saw is mentioned last, and it's defining feature (horror film) isn't mentioned there, but instead in the 'About' section at the end. Usually, the Press Releases mention Swarm, then Saw, then Stealth, then Colossus and finally Inferno, and stating their defining feature. Given that Saw's defining feature isn't mentioned in the key part of the text, it shows just how much they want to lean away from anything that could be seen as family-unfriendly, since websites and newspapers usually just copy and paste from these releases when doing stories on the park.

When I went in Science Week the lady from Ents said they were looking into getting some meet and greet costumes but they weren't sure if the money was available for it so I'm glad they will be doing it. Kids love meet and greets, and can you actually meet an Angry Bird anywhere else?

Holly?

MIj6o.gif

What's with the focus on the cinema 'surroundings' in the PR? Do people not know what cinemas are anymore? It's a weird thing to really push imo...

Thorpe actually having characters on park, it really IS full circle isn't it?

Finally, leg ticklers <////3

I very much doubt the retheme will be that extensive, I reckon it'll just be a change of logo and a plastic model stuck at the top. Not shocking, just lazy, like the rest of the land really.

Hate to use the old cliché, but how can you tell something will be lazily done if it's not finished yet? And, with Detonator, what extensive retheming can they do? Change the logo, have a couple of models around and some audio. There's not much you can do to theme an outdoor, 115ft drop tower, is there?

Agreed, but I wouldn't want Detonator to be changed much as it fits in well with Inferno IMO.

I still don't get why people think Detonator fits in well with Inferno (and, by extension, the tropical theme that once was Calypso Quay)? It's a drop tower about a controlled explosion - how does that fit in with a volcano?