Angry Birds Land

Marc

I don't find it as offensive as some it seems. It is what it is, I'm just so pleased to see the cinema, which should never have closed, back in use and everything around it looks inoffensive enough even if it does lack any class or style. I love dodgems so I'm in favour of those too, although if they are seriously going to put fastrack on them we may as well push them in the water as they'll be no use to anyone.

Having said that, detonator looks pretty awful and the placing of that ladder game is an abomination. Had presumed it was temporary while the work was done, but there it is plonked down apparently without any thought. Oh dear.

Thanks for the respectful reply Josh. EVENTHOUGHYOU'REWRONG! =p

I genuinely believe that a theme park should immerse you into a world, something out of the ordinary and into a place that makes you forget about life. A theme park needs to give you a sense of adventure and amazement. Fibreglass models, painting over old themeing and flat signs doesn't give you that.

Here looks like a glorified supermarket. I'm sorry but I doubt I'll be in the land of Angry Birds - I'll be in a land which has a vague nod to Angry Birds.

If I were to paint a room blue it doesn't make it an underworld adventure. Does it?

Also, do you know when 4D cinemas were cool? 15 years ago!

Unimaginative use of 15 year old ideas.

It's probably worth visiting before making such judgments - judging the whole area on a few pictures taken on a miserable day seems more like you don't want to like it more than anything.

The area is bright, fun and family friendly, all of 3 are a major thing the park lacked till now. The dodgems like any other dodgems are good fun and the staff interaction on them so far has been very positive. The 4d show is very good - the quality of the movie is very high and the use of special effects has been done well.

This area isn't supposed to appeal to us. It's supposed to appeal to children. Do you have any idea how much just the sight of some dodgems can light up a child's eyes?

Just because its not for adults, doesn't mean you have to get all in a huff and spend all day insulting it.

Contrary to popular belief, Merlin aren't actually made of money, and considering it was only a small investment year, on top of the fact they've just built another temporary hotel, they've actually done a lot with the little money they have.

Liken it to Phantasialand and even Disney all you like, but the UK target audience will lap this up. Do you really think they give a toss about some dodgy signage? The sooner you get over that, the sooner you can enjoy it for what it is.

And by that you prove my point to how disappointing it is being British. We put up with second best, we don't like to try and show pizazz, our modesty is our downfall - for such a thriving, educated, influential country we just cater for the dumb. We cater for the Butlins lover, for the cruise ship goers, for the Tesco valuers. We don't like to show off and that leaves people with imagination, with a sense of pride left in a boring void.

Our greatest architects, artists, writers are pushed out of this beautiful country because their vision doesn't match the boring, pointless minds of the masses. The sooner we start to influence the sooner we can enjoy something nice.

This doesn't cater for me? uhm, so I DON'T have a family is what you're insinuating? I'm sorry to point out that you're wrong.... but you're wrong. I have a family, I have cousins and nieces - I won't just visit Thorpe Park and say to them 'okay little ones, you run off in there and I'll stay outside' - I have to go in there with them and there is nothing for me to be excited about.

Please don't use the boring excuses of 'it ain't for you', there is ALWAYS something for everyone - I just happen to have a bit of taste. Excuse me.

Marc, I agree that you shouldn't judge by just sitting here at home, with a mug of tea and a slice of pizza and slate something I've clearly not seen in the flesh. But, (there always is one with me) all I can see are fibreglass models, plastic signs and B&Q paint. There really isn't much else, tucked away, hidden, out of sight - is there?

((a rant about a crappy theme park and their insignificant investment - dammit, rain! I need to go out!))

I shall be visiting Thorpe tomorrow with my kiddiewinks so will let you know how it went when we get back, both from my viewpoint and theirs. That way you are getting a nice rounded opinion as you will be getting one from the target audience as well! Am looking forward to it as I haven't been to Thorpe for a while now.

Had presumed it was temporary while the work was done, but there it is plonked down apparently without any thought. Oh dear.

That ladder can't be movied, if I'm thinking of the same thing as you are, All they've added is some nice banners no actual modifications to the attraction

That ladder can't be movied, if I'm thinking of the same thing as you are, All they've added is some nice banners no actual modifications to the attraction

No, the game thing which has moved from the arena and dumped in front of the buildings in a horrible way.

edit; to the left of this pic, looking all awful and out of place.

10367815_10154236178455624_5465083034981

The fact everyone is saying 'you have to be there and see it in person' makes me think there must be something not coming through on any of the photos - It looks horrendous.

Just because this is a Thorpe dominated website, does not mean you have to like it. What's with everyone settling for this type of ultimate 'meh' you would expect from a seaside fun fair, or a low grade park like Drayton.

It's lazy.

The patch work tar mac floor at the dodgems .. The rubbish image around the dodgems roof (the 3D themeing ideas would be endless).. The un-thematically painted walls (even chessington can do that), DETONATOR?!!! ...The fact all the signage looks fresh off the printers at Instant Print... Ugh it's dreadful!

The land arches are great (because they're not flat or from the local printers) , and sure the 4D film is fun (which Merlin did not provide), but this is just awful and makes Storm Surge look like Splash Mountain.

It's probably worth visiting before making such judgments - judging the whole area on a few pictures taken on a miserable day seems more like you don't want to like it more than anything.

The area is bright, fun and family friendly, all of 3 are a major thing the park lacked till now. The dodgems like any other dodgems are good fun and the staff interaction on them so far has been very positive. The 4d show is very good - the quality of the movie is very high and the use of special effects has been done well.

Agreed.

I mean just because the park is time travelling and getting rides that it owned 16 years ago or getting back a cinema that was deemed too costly to run five years ago doesn't mean we should judge this on pictures alone.

Although in saying that the pictures and promotional pics don't do this any justice at all.

I genuinely don't have an issue with it (minus the fact I despise theme park IPs).

Bumper cars are always a laugh; fairground or theme park and certainly suitable for families. The reopening of the cinema complements this and the area in general looks much brighter and generally more enjoyable than it did in the past five or so years. I think kids will buy it..

I always hate seeing old areas/rides go but time gotta keep rollin'.

Haters gonna hate but I believe the Dodgems, whilst quick enough, are not even ran anywhere near top speed ;)

I think this is an area you have to judge yourself. I personally quite like it. I think there's signage which can be improved; and a few other bits but when you're there, with the people, and the music, its a nice little vibe. A strange, but nice vibe.

That entrance sign really annoys me how the 'Land' park isn't in the same style as the rest of it...

As Fred said, this is Lightwater levels of quality, and Raptor Attack certainly looks higher build than this...

And just because it's for kids, does that excuse the quality? Look at the likes of Seuss Landing and quite a few other areas for kids which are of higher standards...

Based off pics alone, Paultons must be laughing their heads off (I've not visited Peppa Pig)...

Never mind all this - has the kerb and "road" (and yellow lines) now disappeared that were once outside Detonator and P4D? :P If so, then Angry Birds Land gets my 100% seal of approval.

I've yet to visit, but my thoughts are:

1. I like Dodgems in theme parks personally, as they are a fun ride that are often overpriced and poorly maintained at funfairs. So I am for having them - but agree, that entrance really isn't much to write home about. (Beanoland dodgems ftw, RIP). That said, Dodgems are a nice queue eater to take people away from other rides, and all in all - I think they are a very good addition to the line up and variety of rides.

2. That Detonator retheme is epic isn't it? What a lovely sign. And a nice little reminder of the old Detty and "theme" with the old photo booth signage next to it. I'm sorry but it's these little things that really wind me - and others up - how easy is it to take down an old sign, or just paint over it? Did no-one see it there? Did no-one think that anyone else would notice or care? I mean, your eyes are going to be drawn to that big fibreglass model to the right of it, so chances are you are going to see it.

3. Big thumbs up for having the P4D cinema in use again, I'm all for SBNO rides/areas being used up. SAW Alive to be used for something more worthwhile next please ;)

4. I wish Thorpe had splashed out on longer length new queue time boards, as much as I love them B)

5. I like the area entrance arches, mainly because they are tangiable, touchable, 3D structural metalwork - designers/Merlin are to be commended on those as they are true to the game and look impressive.

That entrance sign really annoys me how the 'Land' park isn't in the same style as the rest of it...

As Fred said, this is Lightwater levels of quality, and Raptor Attack certainly looks higher build than this...

And just because it's for kids, does that excuse the quality? Look at the likes of Seuss Landing and quite a few other areas for kids which are of higher standards...

Based off pics alone, Paultons must be laughing their heads off (I've not visited Peppa Pig)...

Maybe there are things like that for a reason? The "angry birds" bit on the sign is their brands logo so can totally see why maybe Rovio didn't want it in the same font?

Don't see why anyone would "laugh their heads off", everyone seemed to be enjoying them selves in the area yesterday whilst enthusiasts will slag it off the vast majority will enjoy it which is surely the main thing for the park, we would love things like the swarm each year but budgets would never allow it.

As long as the park continue to progress forwards I'm happy, some will be smaller than others but this is a huge improvement over the miss mash they had before and the whole area has a nice atmosphere too.

To be fair, the angry birds theme is very limited, what can you do beyond collapsing structures, pigs and birds and a slingshot? There isn't a lot you can do with it because the game concept is pretty basic. But then I suppose there could lie a fault with the attempts of trying to theme an area with a dying IP, and one that has no real depth in order to make a whole land on it :P

What about the Seasons embellishments? Apples, doughnuts, school books, love hearts, strawberries, bananas, pumpkins, construction hats, balloons, Roman columns, cauldrons, snowmen, fireworks, Chinese lanterns, bunny ears, pots of golds, sunflowers, ice creams...

Could go on...

What about the Seasons embellishments? Apples, doughnuts, school books, love hearts, strawberries, bananas, pumpkins, construction hats, balloons, Roman columns, cauldrons, snowmen, fireworks, Chinese lanterns, bunny ears, pots of golds, sunflowers, ice creams...

Could go on...

Didn't even know that existed, I am only familiar with the original game :P

My mistake then :P But even so, the original package has plenty of those items in it - from the infuriatingly impossible-to-destroy construction hats to jugs of lemonade and strawberries to doughnuts - they're all in there, at Thorpe's disposal. Would've been funny to see some pigs hanging from balloons like they do in the "Danger Above" extension.

Unfortunately I won't be revealing our opinion of ABL, was approaching the Clacket Lane services on the M25 on the way there when our engine decided to give up!! We nearly got taken out on the slip road along with my kids but luckily the Highways Agency could see us on their cameras and came to tow us into the services. Unfortunately Clacket World wasn't up to Thorpes standard, either for myself or the kids.