Ministry of Sound @ Thorpe Park

Luke_A

one that is known for (and is good at) mixing a set, not talking between records. That's what ministry is about, what the company is built on, the music. It's what sets it apart from your local time/envy/jjs etc chain crap.

At least that's what it means to me.

one that is known for (and is good at) mixing a set, not talking between records. That's what ministry is about, what the company is built on, the music. It's what sets it apart from your local time/envy/jjs etc chain crap.

At least that's what it means to me.

You don't know that they will be talking in their set. Remember, while it will be a Ministry of Sound event, they wont necessarily be representing MoS, they are more than likely to be representing Kiss FM

Part of being a DJ means you must be able to use your skills to adapt to any given situation or event, and I know this because I am a DJ!

I'd reserve your judgement until after the event.

In fairness I don't know the guys at all, maybe they are amazing turntablists and I'm wrong, but I suspect they are there as faces to smile and wave and shout annoying things occasionally.

I am (well, was really) a dj too, so I have a pretty good understanding of it all! A MoS punter would not expect or want the celeb pa kind of thing getting in the way of their night. Or maybe MoS has gone to **** now and that's what it's like, their recent bland digitally stitched together albums compared to the original stuff suggest that may be the case. Who knows? I'm old and out the game now!

That's not to take away from the fact that these are awesome nights at all, they really are.

In fairness I don't know the guys at all, maybe they are amazing turntablists and I'm wrong, but I suspect they are there as faces to smile and wave and shout annoying things occasionally.

I am (well, was really) a dj too, so I have a pretty good understanding of it all! A MoS punter would not expect or want the celeb pa kind of thing getting in the way of their night. Or maybe MoS has gone to **** now and that's what it's like, their recent bland digitally stitched together albums compared to the original stuff suggest that may be the case. Who knows? I'm old and out the game now!

That's not to take away from the fact that these are awesome nights at all, they really are.

Perhaps you missed the core of my entire previous post, so I've removed all the extras for you

... they wont necessarily be representing MoS, they are more than likely to be representing Kiss FM

So what that means is, it could go one way or the other, you could be absolutely right and they could shout annoying things of the PA, or they could do a really good live set without touching the mic.

It simply depends on the approach they are told/choose to take.

Again reserve your judgement until after the event

Perhaps you missed the core of my entire previous post, so I've removed all the extras for you

Perhaps you didn't make a very clear or meaningful point? Yep, it's still a Ministry of Sound at THORPE PARK night. That's what people are buying tickets for.

So what that means is, it could go one way or the other, you could be absolutely right and they could shout annoying things of the PA, or they could do a really good live set without touching the mic.

It simply depends on the approach they are told/choose to take.

How? If they are not music dj's how do you propose thew just turn up and do that? If you are any sort of dj yourself you'll know it's a skill, a craft, that you hone over a number of years in the same way you would a musical instrument, you don't just stand behind the decs and 'do what you are told'. Or maybe you can just about beat match and have decided that makes you a dj, so you don't know that. Who knows?

It may well be that these two are great club dj's and it just so happens everyone forgot to mention it anywhere on the internet. I've been quite clear that it would just be my preference have a skilled music dj rather than a paid face, based on what MoS means to me (and I think most people) and also on my own experience of these nights myself. As I've said many many times they really are excellent nights, but the one weaknesses has been the actual music. That really shouldn't be the case with anything MoS associated.

Again reserve your judgement until after the event

Again, this a discussion forum and I'll have an opinion based on the available information, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

5 nights does seem quite low, I'm sure there were quite a few more last year. I think they have pretty much all sold out previously too so seems like an odd decision, I guess with island beats there's a of events competing for a limited number of nights across the season.

A quick check shows the Shark hotel is fully booked on all MoS dates already!

Island Beats won't come under the evening events thing as the rides on park can be open 9/9:30am-10pm every day of the season. They can only keep the rides open till 11 and Dome open till 3am on so many nights a year which was quite high actually.

From the planning thingy they put in :)

The use of the site by the general public shall be limited to the hours between 9 am and 12 midnight, with the exception of the Dome (and associated access/parking areas) which shall be open to the general public no later than 2 am, with the exception of 42 occasions during each year, and of these on no more than 6 occasions per calendar month, where the Dome can be open to the general public no later than 3.30 am, or such other times as may be agreed in writing by the Planning Authority.

Plus, Island Beats is no longer in hours than Summer Nights was and that all worked fine. Maybe they couldn't fit anymore in around Island Beats/Fright Nights that worked for MoS as well as the park. No idea how it all works but the loss of a date won't be due to budgets as you rightly say, they always sell out.

They have amazingly co-operative licensing.

For comparison Brands Hatch is limited to six, yes SIX high noise days a year (a concert for example), and normal operational hours of 9am to 6pm at weekends, and iirc very limited hours during the week.

I know it's not a perfect comparison, but a lot of racing cars are the same noise level now as a road car, and the nearest houses are a similar distance to the car park from The Swarm away, but Thorpe's local council is really generous with those planning restrictions.

Ahh thanks that was the statement I was one about!

From what I remember, residents aren't particularly fussed about noise outside the park, as its virtually non-existent. (A complete unscientific guess, but this is perhaps one ofthe benefits of being on an island, as there are no tremors/bass vibrating through the ground) but the only arguments that come up are that the local traffic generated causes too much noise. 

It's silly when you think about it. The resort (alton towers) with 3 hotels isn't allowed to make any noise or have any events, yet the "resort" with year round after hours sellout events isn't allowed a hotel...

• 8 years later...