Park Map

jh_08

I like this new park map - I have always hated the "IN YOUR FACE" block capitals font they have used these recent years, so I am glad they have done away with it for the map. I'm thinking the website will probably be having a refresh to match the new graphics as it still retains its "Thrill Capital" rather than the new somewhat more family friendly "Serious fun" corporate identity.

Having thought about it some more, and seeing a full-sized image, I do like the new map. It's fresh and easy on the eyes. However, I don't like the fact that the 5 big coasters are essentially made out to be the only worthwhile thing on the map; everything else feels very forgotten about and very 'meh'. It needs a bit more emphasis on the other rides (specifically the water rides I think; they seem to be quite a big for the park) and a bit more of soul and life thrown into it. But yes, I do like it, and it is a step in the right direction.

Also, here's what I assume is the reserve side:

LeafletGatemap%20Back.jpg

Saucey - http://thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/13-03-2014/New-Brand-Unveiled

I'm currently unsure whether I like this rebrand or not, the new map is a nice refresh, I just wish all the rides were at least included on the design and some of the features a little more detailed?

The main marketing material reminds me of BPB far too much, it screams cheap, quick design to me, I think the images they post on instagram/facebook with the adjusted brightness/contrast fonts in italic looks far more suited, but I'm sure it will grow on me in time.

I often wonder if Thorpe's marketing style would look good if it was something similar to the presentation of Hollister something similar to the below.

1911652_10152007907228741_2045076041_n.p

I think it just looks easy on the eyes, would suit Thorpe's surfing style in the Dome, and could be a useful way to integrate social media.

I must say given the number of years I've had to put up with the thick, dumb & young direction I find this new style of map refreshing.

The coaster designs remind me of the 2001-2003 era, but with a bit of depth (yet slightly over the top). I like the bleached and delicate colour Thorpe Park have gone for, your eyes aren't burning from unnecessary bold colours this year.

I understand and will probably echo the fact that detail is lacking, what with paths and rides being totally disregarded - the map is made to feel like Thorpe Park isn't a huge theme park, however, this place is hardly Disney Land or Alton Towers. It's a tiny park. On a rainy day and you jump over a puddle you end up in Calypso Quay. If you're a person that needs help finding a 105ft spinning ride then you're not really looking hard enough.

In all, I'm in favour of the new map. Probably because over the past few years Thorpe Park have jizzed on my cup cake and called it icing.

This year, if planned well, could be the start of Thorpe Park giving back to the general public, the people that have visited for over two decades and have seen a park rise and fall pretty quickly (in terms of love and care)

I think it will take them some time to reestablish a firm brand but I think they could pull it off with a bit of work. Only, I am not quite sure what target audience they are going for now? Something along the lines of Alton? Maybe aimed a little less on children?

I think it will take them some time to reestablish a firm brand but I think they could pull it off with a bit of work. Only, I am not quite sure what target audience they are going for now? Something along the lines of Alton? Maybe aimed a little less on children?

Not sure they know this themselves tbh...

Whilst I agree with those who have said the coasters are too prominent and make all the flat rides look inferior, isn't this common with many parks, particularly the American ones?

Busch Gardens Williamsburg for example, has a decent selection of flat rides but they are almost forgotten about because the roller coasters are always the things that are given the publicity hype.

Whilst I agree with those who have said the coasters are too prominent and make all the flat rides look inferior, isn't this common with many parks, particularly the American ones?

Busch Gardens Williamsburg for example, has a decent selection of flat rides but they are almost forgotten about because the roller coasters are always the things that are given the publicity hype.

I wouldn't really say that, I don't really remember there being many flats at the park... DarKastle and the water rides seem to get a reasonably fair representation if I recall...

Then again, the flats there aren't particularly anything special, whilst Thorpe have always had the likes of Rush and Slammer (when working) at the forefront...

One thing I've been a bit confused by with the new map is that all of the 5 major coaster appear quite equal.

I'd have thought that Stealth would have stood out the most, especially in this style of map, since it's the icon coaster. I get that in the year of the new coaster and the year after, the new coaster is more of major focus and the 'icon' ride gets sidelined a little bit, but I find it interesting that there's a lot more equality between the coasters at the moment.

Probably because roller coasters are the single biggest thing that attracts customers to a theme park. No one sits there and goes my god I need to get on Quantum ASAP. Thorpe have just gone for the extreme on the map,

Probably because roller coasters are the single biggest thing that attracts customers to a theme park. No one sits there and goes my god I need to get on Quantum ASAP. Thorpe have just gone for the extreme on the map,

I completely agree but I have still equally have had people who want to go to Thorpe because "Oh my god you just have to go on Slammer it's mental". I get what your saying but come on your going to give Storm Surge more prominence than some of the thrill rides? ;)

To me the biggest questionable lack of focus lies with Angry Birds land... Given that it's in the middle of the park and the big new thing, it's prominence is non-existant...

Thorpe want to be more family friendly, yet don't push Angry Birds... It's a weird decision...

It will be very nice if they have managed to carry forward the consistant branding into the park, the "cut off corner square/rectangles" that are used for the ride information key and then the boxes on the back are nice and consistant and it reminds me of the way that Alton Towers has gone with the gold pipe outlines for boxes.

I also like the fact that KFC, Burger King and Pizza Hut aren't mentioned in the list of food outlets on the back, just tiny icons on the map.

Hopefully as well if they manage to push £48 for a season / £58 for a year pass it will reduce the reliance on 2for1 vouchers as well.

To me the biggest questionable lack of focus lies with Angry Birds land... Given that it's in the middle of the park and the big new thing, it's prominence is non-existant...

Thorpe want to be more family friendly, yet don't push Angry Birds... It's a weird decision...

Given Angry Birds is opening in May, maybe there will be a new version of the map printed then? I think they have also realised they can't be too family friendly with the current selection of rides, people are still mainly going for the coasters.