Park Map

jh_08

Given Angry Birds is opening in May, maybe there will be a new version of the map printed then? I think they have also realised they can't be too family friendly with the current selection of rides, people are still mainly going for the coasters.

But surely if you advertise it on the park map, going 'Angry Birds Land Opening May 2014' and drawing some attention to it, then it may serve as more of a reminder to people about it all.

Though I do agree that it's a possibility they'll release an updated / different version of the map later in the season (probably around the time AB Land opens), depending on feedback...

I get a feeling that, in general, we'll see Thorpe try lots of different things this season, and respond accordingly to guest feedback.

But surely if you advertise it on the park map, going 'Angry Birds Land Opening May 2014' and drawing some attention to it, then it may serve as more of a reminder to people about it all.

Though I do agree that it's a possibility they'll release an updated / different version of the map later in the season (probably around the time AB Land opens), depending on feedback...

I get a feeling that, in general, we'll see Thorpe try lots of different things this season, and respond accordingly to guest feedback.

Looking again at the images on the news page there is actually a sixthof the back of the map given over to Angry Birds and the cover page http://content.maniahub.com/photo/Thorpe/2014map/LeafletGatemap%20Back.jpg. I think that is a reasonable amount of promotion for what is really a small update to the park.

Looking again at the images on the news page there is actually a sixthof the back of the map given over to Angry Birds and the cover page http://content.maniahub.com/photo/Thorpe/2014map/LeafletGatemap%20Back.jpg. I think that is a reasonable amount of promotion for what is really a small update to the park.

Very true. However, how many people actually really pay attention to the backs of theme park maps?

(Serious question there; I have no idea. But I wouldn't be surprised if people get a park map, open it up, look at the map, see the rides and think 'Well, that looks good, it's that way, let's go there'. Whenever you see anyone looking at a map, they're looking at the main image - ie: the map itself - not really paying attention to the reverse. As I say, I have no idea, but I think just a reasonably-sized image saying 'Angry Birds Land - Opens May!' would do no harm. There's no doubt it'll be heavily advertised on park and that, but, as I say, would do no harm).

To those that said Nemesis Inferno is 115ft, it's 95ft. Like I said.

http://rcdb.com/1747.htm

Plus on plans for rides such as Swarm, the coaster, as well as Colossus, comes under the 100ft mark. Colossus being 98ft.

Thorpe do state it in their marketing that it is 115ft though. Even in their Student Pack for example - http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/fd0fb72e#/fd0fb72e/16

It might not be 115ft from ground level or whatever, but they use 115ft in marketing.

I do like the style of focusing on the coasters, but it seems other rides have been forgotten about in their place.

As I've said though - as perhaps "boring" the new font looks, it's a far cleaner, professional and less tacky look. Have all the "big heads" gone from signage in park (lockers, toilets, etc.) - I'm guessing not as yet?

With regards to signage I can't say I noticed toilet signs or such like; but every major piece of signage such as information boards have opted for the new look, and also now have maps which you can take out of a map holder attached to them (they are also in little holders on the bridge now).

The only old signage I saw yesterday was the Nations Thrill Capital wall/sign by the toilets at the entrance. Everything else seemed to have changed.

Anybody noticed how some of the photo's have changed too? I know for a fact that Stealth's got a new overlay which looks really nice; and SAW is advertising ride video again although this is still missing. Probably worth noting Picsolve have opted for a less generic Thorpe advertising, and have adverts solely for each ride now.

• 11 months later...

New map ahoy!

11044594_10153059959425867_2446326093965
(From the park's FB)

Just a slight redesign of last season's so that it includes all rides.  Couple of things of note...

-Neptune's Beach has been renamed Amity Beach now.  

-Carousel is definitely gone.

-I'm a Celeb does have a Fastrack queue.

-No mention of 2016.  Maybe a second map will be released later in the season to advertise it a bit more?

Nice to see the Atlantis theme going to be honest, it hasn't fitted in for as long as I can remember visiting the park - I hope they do it properly though, rather than leaving it as it is or it'll just be another mismatched area.

As for I'm a Celeb having a Fastrack queue, I'm disappointed but not surprised.  :rolleyes:

My favourite bit is how they have subtly contorted Storm Surge to hide the area the Arena filled. 

Still looks terrible:

• Too much attention to the coasters,
  • everything else has just been squeezed together,
  • Look like Vortex, Rush, Quantum & Zodiac are built on top of each other, 
  • Angry Birds land looks like it is just a sign,
  • Slammer looks like it is being launched into space, 
  • WAY too much blank space,
  • Just everything looks out of place.

The only professional thing on the map is the green arrow showing you where the entrance is, like everybody needs to know that when they are given the map when they are stood there. I know a lot of TP's clientèle are a bit brain dead, but I don't think they are stupid enough to get lost at the entrance.  

I actually like the style and feel of the map, but the bulk of the center of the park is far too small. If they kept it to around the same scale but expanded it so the coasters were to the edge of the page, with the text between them rather than outside them, it would work a whole lot better.

As it is it's pretty useless and doesn't do justice to a lot of the park.

I don't like it, it's too smash bang look at me, I know it's a theme park but it could have been set out better, we got lost trying to find Loggers Leap while trying to navigate by the map on Saturday.

Unfortunately smash bang look at me is somewhat typical of today's marketing mentality, since the very vast majority of Thorpe's target audience likely have the attention span of a gold fish and require constant flashy stimulation to keep them interested (I am relatively local, but live in the target demographic, the number of people on our estate who are regular visitors, but NOT annual pass holders is astronomical).

They should have done two, a to scale one KISS principle for us old folk, and the flash bang one for next gen.

• 3 months later...