2014 TV advert

Kane1234

Question

I think it's quite cool... I'm just seriously gutted at how much they're targeting towards families now - I'm just fearful for any future investments in terms of thrilling/scary rollercoasters and flat rides, or being the lack of more to the point :/

Totally agree with your point, with Chessington around the corner, which is aimed for families I don't see why Thorpe are suddenly aiming for families. Most people go there for the bigger rides like Swarm and Saw.

Totally agree with your point, with Chessington around the corner, which is aimed for families I don't see why Thorpe are suddenly aiming for families. Most people go there for the bigger rides like Swarm and Saw.

The advert heavily features the thrill rides just as much so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Thorpe park are just going for a more family friendly image, family's can enjoy thrill rides too but important to make sure there's rides for those who may not be so keen!

The thing is, I think I only seen the swarm and stealth in the advert, and a selection of the water rides... So this sort of advert is something we could expect from a smaller parks like flamingo land, Drayton manor, or even light water valley etc.

Just doesn't feel like a Thorpe park advert, it is a good and fun nonetheless.

I think these are perfect adverts. I like the massive thrill rides but my 6 year old daughter can't go on them for obvious reasons.

This advert shows there is something for everyone, so perfectly targeted.

Even thrillseekers have young kids! We are now more likely to go to TP than CWOA as a family as there is enough to justify a whole day for all of us.

Something for everyone = We have water rides and roller coasters...

It's an alright generic park advert, inoffensive really, and suits Thorpe's attempts at getting more families in...

Of course, just because they're looking at families doesn't mean an end to thrill rides... Hopefully any future additions will be considered towards all people on the rider spectrum, and we might end up with some rides that are suitable for post luncheon for a change...

Say I'd never been to Thorpe park, as a thrill seeker seeing that advert, it doesn't really make me want to go to there. It's lost its thrill capital status which was such an important tag line.

Yeah, families with babies and toddlers love massive launching roller coasters. If the advert just featured the Banana Ride and the Carousel I'd agree but the only none thrilling rides in that video is Depth Charge and Rumba; The Swarm and Stealth certainly dominate that advert.

Yeah, families with babies and toddlers love massive launching roller coasters. If the advert just featured the Banana Ride and the Carousel I'd agree but the only none thrilling rides in that video is Depth Charge and Rumba; The Swarm and Stealth certainly dominate that advert.

I'm not saying it's completely alienated them like they had done with families for years, but it just seems this year (and probably last) they have gone too much in the other direction! :unsure:​

Thorpe's probably still got a reputation as 'the place to be' for thrillseekers following a good 5+ years appealing to them. Remember, families didn't just stop visiting Thorpe when the brand shifted; it'll be the same for thrillseekers, and they'll still have plenty to keep them satisfied.

The next year or two should focus on making families aware they can visit Thorpe again, and that there's enough to keep them occupied for a day (once Angry Birds Land opens, there should be in my opinion as well). Then, after that, they have a good park which can appeal to all, with a main focus of 'up-for-it families' and thrillseekers.

Despite wanting Thorpe to appeal to families more, I do hope we don't lose the 'Nation's Thrill Capital' side of Thorpe. A family park and a thrill park are not mutually exclusive...

So, Thorpe add a dodgems and re-open a cinema; advertise itself as 'Family Fun' and now it's suddenly "OMG too much family approach" from some people.

Sorry to break it to you; but Mark9 and JoshC are completely right. It still advertises (heavily) Swarm and Stealth on it's advert, something for older children. And upon reflection, like I said all they're doing is reopening and cinema and adding some dodgems. It's a far step from the days of Ranger County and Octopus Gardens. The thrill rides will still be there, in their mass in comparison; but rightly so; Thorpe are toying on the fact they do have family thrill rides, which have been overlooked for a few years. Zodiac, Quantum, and Tidal are rides that suit all for example; so good on them for hyping up that there is stuff for older families.

I think some people are completely missing what they're trying to get at. They're not trying to appeal (in my opinion) to families with five and six year olds; but moreso appealing to those who are families with kids around the eight and nine year age, who are just under 1.4m but can still enjoy themselves because they're maybe 1.3m or whatever. At the end of the day the advert isn't families holding hands with their kids, it shows a family who have a girl who's clearly under 1.4m, a lad that is 1.4m and a couple of adults - and in that sense it does it's purpose well; showing a mix of everything on offer, and how everyone can enjoy something.

That was a ramble, it makes sense in my head.

I find it odd that Thorpe are promoting annual passes for only £48. Are they desperate or something? I am not saying it's a bad thing necessarily, but when Alton Towers are charging £120, Chessington £67 and LEGOLAND £99... considering each charge similar for 1-day admission, the difference in AP prices between Thorpe and Alton is staggering. £48 is really bargain basement.

Its an interesting concept - we saw them play with something like this during the summer last season with their £48 "Season Pass" too. I may be wrong but I think its a similar structure which the american parks do too.

I think its quite a good idea personally and when you compare to say a MAP (£159) its quite well priced for just the one park.

I think Dean hit it on the head; for little more than a one-off admission they can entice people to get the pass, and guarantee a return; even if it's just a second visit. And by doing so it guarantees some kind of spend on park in the form of food and drink, a likelihood of a car park charge; and potentially a retail spend. So it's a clever way to encourage people to return; and when people have a season pass, they're likely to visit more than twice. It's the same concept as the rainy day guarantee.

It's also worth noting it's a limited time offer; and not advertised as being for the whole season.