Quick Q: Does anyone think we'll see flat or dark rides on the new islands future?

Will

The islands have been infilled and we have Swarm and it's possible we'll see maybe 1-2 more coasters (Treasure Island and long strips) and (Crash Pad + Depth Charge area).

Does anyone think we'll see new dark rides or flat rides, new or relocated ones on the new infilled islands? There was some rumour about Vortex being enclosed but I think that's made-up.

That's a good question. To be honest though, if they were to build a dark ride I'd hope they'd put it where x is and use other areas with larger more attracting projects. I sure do hope some kind of interactive/dark attraction comes to thorpe, just in the right place.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That's a good question. To be honest though, if they were to build a dark ride I'd hope they'd put it where x is and use other areas with larger more attracting projects. I sure do hope some kind of interactive/dark attraction comes to thorpe, just in the right place.

They won't replace X, and I wouldn't want them to.

They need more dark rides IMO, so replacing one with another wouldn't really benefit them as much.

To be completely honest though x isn't much of a dark ride (well it is literally, but by dark ride I mean like the transformers ride, or a shooting gallery). It is just a rollercoaster in a shell with some boogy lights and overly loud music. I think that area has further potential then x, but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thorpe can't build lots of buildings due to the flooding risk. They have a very limited roofing allowance. Why do you think Swarm has no roof. And all the shops are made of shipping containers because they don't count to the roofing allowance.

As the new islands are at a higher flood risk (I believe) they would really struggle to get permission for a huge building on them. After all the islands were built with roller coasters in mind (and maybe the odd flat ride). Logistically the only way they could build a large building would be replace the X building and extend over into the arena.

But yeah the new islands will be coasters most likely and a dark ride in the centre of the park if we were to get one.

Thorpe can't build lots of buildings due to the flooding risk. They have a very limited roofing allowance. Why do you think Swarm has no roof. And all the shops are made of shipping containers because they don't count to the roofing allowance.

Swarm no roof = so they didn't need fire exits.

Who on earth has heard of a roofing allowance?!

Can people not hijack my thread and go off-topic about Swarm's roof?

Thanks

As the new islands are at a higher flood risk (I believe) they would really struggle to get permission for a huge building on them. After all the islands were built with roller coasters in mind (and maybe the odd flat ride). Logistically the only way they could build a large building would be replace the X building and extend over into the arena.

But yeah the new islands will be coasters most likely and a dark ride in the centre of the park if we were to get one.

Roofing allowance?

How does have shipping containers not contribute to flooding risks?

Can people not hijack my thread and go off-topic about Swarm's roof?

Thanks

Roofing allowance?

How does have shipping containers not contribute to flooding risks?

It's not really hijacking the topic; it is partially related after all. :)

As for the whole roofing / building allowance thing. Due to essentially being an island, there are risks of floods and stuff, which make it problematic with the amount of floor space the building can have. Shipping containers I believe are loopholes to the system essentially, since they're not technically permanent buildings, meaning the park has more allowance for actual buildings. I'm not going to pretend I know much about it all (because I don't!); IanNem described this to me a while ago at a meet. Maybe he may know more / be able to shed some light if he has the time.

As for a direct answer to the question of the thread, the island next to Swarm had two potential flat ride locations marked out, as well as a coaster, so it is quite feasible for there to be one of the new island. I dunno whether it will happen, but it would make sense, since there wouldn't be any major support rides anywhere near that location. A dark ride seems less likely to me due to the restraints on the buildings, especially so close to the lake. It could be a possibility, but I personally would be surprised if it happened.

I think they need an additional dark ride, but if it does get built it will be in the central area. They will need to remove something to build it such as using the KFC/arcade building or the back area of X (used for horror mazes) and slammer. in fact the space at the back of X all the way through to the BBQ is the only area I can think of large enough that could have a dark ride built on it. Re purposing the 4D cinema building and Burger King etc would have been another option, but the 4D cinema is being re-opened.

What I'd ideally like, is for Thorpe to build a signature dark ride, right in the centre of the park, where Storm Surge, the Arena and XNWO are. They can make a dark-ride area with maybe 3 dark rides in the centre, it would be something unique.

• 1 year later...