Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

Personally I found CITW the worst maze at Thorpe Park. Personally I believe the Asylum is the best there and has been since it was first used. CITW didn't have many jumps or scary actors. I found it boring and dull.

S'all personal opinion innit, I'm sure the whole 'free-flow' nature of Cabin helped it win the recognition award...

No doubt the unique nature of the attraction (free flow and choosing your own way) got a lot of attention within the scare industry.

But yeah, scare attractions are very personal with how people react; what one person finds scary, others will find boring. I imagine the uniqueness played a huge role in how it won the award. I personally also found it the best last season, so it's really good to see it getting that recognition. Hear's hoping that they can sort out the problems with the latter half of the maze this season!

It's a coincidence really, as CITW is the only good maze at Thorpe! :P

Oi! Asylum!

Cabin in the Woods was good for it's first year I thought, but I'd like to see it upped a level this year.

- Decent scare at the end rather than just a well themed but ultimately empty walkway.

- Hide the curtains between scenes more

- Consistency

Great to see it win an award though!

Very pleased Cabin won, after all I found this a great maze last year with choosing routes, some interesting and slightly scary scenes (the mask one to start) and also the actors around which really helped tell the story too.

Putting Asylum aside, this was my favourite of the new additions and certainly better than MBV & Blair Witch.

• 2 weeks later...

are they sticking with the same mazes as last year ?

The 4 four lionsgate mazes are defiantly coming back; The Blair Witch Project, My Bloody Valentine, The Cabin in the the woods and SAW. It doesn't say that the Asylum will be returning, I couldn't see it returning after what happened last year anyway. Hopefully we will get another maze there :)

I didn't think that Fright Nights was that good last year compared to previous years. Some of the mazes were better than the ones before but the experience around the park was very poor. The actors that were going around weren't scary at all and there wasn't much themeing around the park.

Hopefully this year they will be able to make not just the mazes better but the whole Fright Nights experience better.

I seemed to be in the few that actually liked the You're Next characters roaming around the park!  They weren't as good as the previous couple of years, but I still quite liked them.

I expect we'll see a replacement for Asylum.  There's of course the obvious film choice to replacement (clue:  it's about chainsaws), but whether we see that or not, I don't remain fully confident.  As a wild choice, I'd love to see the park try Hostel as an Asylum replacement.  Space would likely be the main problem, but I really think it would work as a great scare attraction, and certainly be the extreme level Thorpe go for for Fright Nights!

In saying that, I'm still interested how Fright Nights will be marketed this year.  There's been a huge push on a family market this year; could possibly ruin all that by saying 'COME GET SCARED ****LESS WITH OUR HORROR FILM THEMED SCARE MAZES'.  I do wonder whether we'll see a more family-orientated attraction (Hunger Games?  :ninja: ), even if it's just with the roaming actors.  

I wouldn't be surprised if there's minimal money spent on the existing attractions, which would lead the way for more money being able to be spent on any new attractions as well as park-wide appearance and atmosphere.  Well, that's the hopes and dreams at least!  :P

I seemed to be in the few that actually liked the You're Next characters roaming around the park!  They weren't as good as the previous couple of years, but I still quite liked them.

The director and his assistants were quite clearly better... Would rather more of them if they want to continue the whole 'park is a horror movie' idea...

You're Next people were ok, but with no actual interaction beyond being "OHHHH I'M A SCARY MASKED MAN", they weren't actually that good...

I didn't think that Fright Nights was that good last year compared to previous years. Some of the mazes were better than the ones before but the experience around the park was very poor. The actors that were going around weren't scary at all and there wasn't much themeing around the park.

Hopefully this year they will be able to make not just the mazes better but the whole Fright Nights experience better.

I agree with you, I thought the 'You're next' actors were dreadful compared to the roaming actors in previous years! The only time I noticed the roaming actors were good was when Cabin in the woods was down so all the actors from there were all in Amity Cove. 

It would be nice to see some themeing around the park, although it wasn't 'scary' I thought the lights on Stealth and the trucks in Amity Cover with flashing lights and smoke in were quite cool. I thought that the audio on all of the rides were quite good, I liked how it was the same sort of theme on all of them, the director speaking. It would be nice to have some better queueline audio and other audio while the director isn't speaking though to create a better atmosphere.

In saying that, I'm still interested how Fright Nights will be marketed this year.  There's been a huge push on a family market this year; could possibly ruin all that by saying 'COME GET SCARED ****LESS WITH OUR HORROR FILM THEMED SCARE MAZES'.  I do wonder whether we'll see a more family-orientated attraction (Hunger Games?   :ninja: ), even if it's just with the roaming actors.  

It still states on there website that they recommend that people must be over the age of 13 to go in the mazes so I don't think it will affect the mazes at all. The Blair which project was a lot tamer than the others so that could be used for family's I guess? 

With the whole push on the family market, I couldn't imagine there being really scary roaming actors this year, I can only see them doing similar to last year which is a shame.

The 4 four lionsgate mazes are defiantly coming back; The Blair Witch Project, My Bloody Valentine, The Cabin in the the woods and SAW. It doesn't say that the Asylum will be returning, I couldn't see it returning after what happened last year anyway. Hopefully we will get another maze there :)

what happened last year /?

The campaign that it was painting a bad image for mental health sufferers. Got quite heated so much so that the police were contacted to try and get Thorpe to remove it. 

This had NO influence on them removing it though. It was decided in the summer that it was to be The Asylum's last Fright Nights. It was just a shame it ended on such a negative campaign. They'll probably replace it with a similar concept anyway so don't see what the problem is (although I'd much rather they move away from it and make something decent that builds suspense because for me Asylum wasn't that great, just a slow procession through some flashing lights and loud noises *waits for the hate*)

The campaign that it was painting a bad image for mental health sufferers. Got quite heated so much so that the police were contacted to try and get Thorpe to remove it. 

This had NO influence on them removing it though. It was decided in the summer that it was to be The Asylum's last Fright Nights. It was just a shame it ended on such a negative campaign. They'll probably replace it with a similar concept anyway so don't see what the problem is (although I'd much rather they move away from it and make something decent that builds suspense because for me Asylum wasn't that great, just a slow procession through some flashing lights and loud noises *waits for the hate*)

nice explanation never been on it never got the chance to always wanted too

In my opinion Asylum was the best maze last year (although I only managed to do CITW once). I love it because of all the disorientating lights and sirens. I feel that the actors use this to their advantage very well and it scared me a lot. I think that all they need to do is rename it and it will be fine. Also I understand that Thorpe are going for a more family orientated park as of recent and I think that, for fright nights this year, they should have a mildly scary feel around the park, for the families, but they should make the mazes as scary as possible so It doesn't disappoint everyone else. Tbh, as long as the mazes are made as scary as possible, and they have a more immersive park feel, I wont be too bothered.

I am obviosuly the only one who thinks Thorpe Park at least for Halloween should remain an Adult Park, it should not cater for families, that's what Chessington is for! Provide me with a package that will satisfy me, if I want to be mildly scared I should go to Chessington or Legoland!

I also feel that they should defiantly keep Asylum. In my opinion it was the best maze last year and every year since its been open. I had a few goes round CITW and I personally think it is rubbish. Not any real scares or really good actors. I may have got a few bad rubs but I really thought CITW could have been a kids walk through at bloody Chessington or Southend

I also feel that they should defiantly keep Asylum. In my opinion it was the best maze last year and every year since its been open. I had a few goes round CITW and I personally think it is rubbish. Not any real scares or really good actors. I may have got a few bad rubs but I really thought CITW could have been a kids walk through at bloody Chessington or Southend

Cabin in the Woods was good on some days but it was inconsistant.  The Asylum was reliable, and you could always guarantee that it would be good (even if the finale sometimes didn't happen!)

I know it isn't returning, but hasn't the maze itself been completely gutted anyway? I am sure it was used as that showcase, Brainiac show earlier this year and from the pictures, the interior is now just a hollowed out shell. (I will have to check that)