Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

Is there any proof that there will be extra park wide theming this year? Have thorpe confirmed it?

No.  My point is, there's more than different AB theming (which in itself hasn't even been confirmed) - there's roaming actors, different audio, different feel, etc.  There's some park wide theming, and hopefully there'll be more this season.

Thorpe Park:  5 (five) free Fright Nights attractions, roaming actors, small shows (albeit, poorly advertised), open till 10pm and more.  Cabin in the Woods has also been critically acclaimed, and I'd be surprised if Thorpe don't try to use that to their advantage.

Alton Towers:  2 free Scarefest attractions, couple of Scarefest things for younger kids, open till 9pm.

Oakwood:  All that (which isn't exactly special or enticing) and open till 10pm.

Thorpe certainly seems the best option out of all of that!  

Forgot, LWV has two scare attractions, and is open late etc with no extra charge (as far as I know).

The issue is that £10 is too much when you have already paid for an annual pass.  I visited Fright Nights 5 times last year which cost me £25, this year that would cost me £50 (not going to happen!) so I won't be bothering.

The issue is that £10 is too much when you have already paid for an annual pass.  I visited Fright Nights 5 times last year which cost me £25, this year that would cost me £50 (not going to happen!) so I won't be bothering.

I would agree with you that having to pay £50 would be excessive.

However, say to get the Horror Pass bolted onto you is only £25-£30, then would you go for that?  Especially since it gives you extra freedom.  It seems to me that the idea is to get more people to upgrade their passes or encourage people to plan ahead further to control the number of guests on park.  

I would agree with you that having to pay £50 would be excessive.

However, say to get the Horror Pass bolted onto you is only £25-£30, then would you go for that?  Especially since it gives you extra freedom.  It seems to me that the idea is to get more people to upgrade their passes or encourage people to plan ahead further to control the number of guests on park.  

Possibly, although it depends as I may not visit 5 times this year.  Thorpe are asking too much by getting people to book a long way in advance IMO.

Also, it depends on the price.  If it turns out to be £40+ then I won't bother.

Tully's Farm is probably the biggest one in the country...

Plenty of non parks are developing scare attractions for Halloween now...

I went to Tullys a couple of years ago, thought the mazes at Thorpe Park were a lot better. For pretty much the same price (from what I remember) at thorpe you are also getting all the rides from 10-9, and Tullys you only get each maze once. There's not a lot else to do at Tullys either and if you do want to do anything else you'll have to pay extra for it. I think Thorpe is defiantly better value for money.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

There's also a scare attraction thing down by me as of last year, the reviews I've read seem pretty good- but it's only something you can do for an evening really. Still, scare mazes aren't exclusive to theme parks and the like.

Guess being in a theme park adds to the experience, that's about it.

I know there not just at theme parks but there is few and far between.

If you look, you will find them! And they certainly range in intensity - some will appeal to a 'friendlier' market, others to hard-core fans.

Due to the nature of scare attractions, only theme parks and other permanent attractions well be the only ones who really push their scare attractions. Other places will advertise more to the those who are interested in the first. As I say: look and you will find them!

If you compare it to the Halloween events in the states, £10 for 5 fairly good mazes is not a bad deal. Across the pond the majority of events are all separate ticket events, costing even more. Obviously there tends to be a bigger effort put into those events, but comparatively Thorpe's pricing is not outrageous. Even compared to Towers it is still better value, as you are paying a minimum of £10 just to experience the two premium mazes regardless of what pass you have, when you look at it as £2 per maze it's really not that bad.

Having said this, I think it's a big coincidence that the price hike is coupled with the introduction of the terror pass, so it's obviously a way of trying to encourage the purchase of the new pass.

If you compare it to the Halloween events in the states, £10 for 5 fairly good mazes is not a bad deal.

It is, as an annual pass should mean unlimited entry to the park.  £5 was reasonable, but £10 is just too much to ask of someone who has already spent £100+ on the annual pass in the first place.

In an ideal world both Thorpe and Towers wouldn't be any paid extra in regards to mazes or whether you're a MAP holder...

It does seem however that all the truly best rated Horror events have the extra ticket situation, although that's primarily because they treat the event completely separate from a normal day, akin to how Thorpe do Summer Nights... Also the majority of people going to those events just go for the event rather than the day at the park, presumably helped by the ridiculously long opening hours they get given as a bonus...

If Thorpe could produce an event worthy of a £10 fee for MAP holders in a similar vein to Disney/Universal/etc (DLP's event is €30 this year), then it would be worthwhile... However that would involve a lot more effort on the park-wide aspect as opposed to just focusing on the mazes...

BPB:  Vampire Beach on 31st October at BPB, plus closing at midnight in November, plus live performers at the 10pm closes throughout the summer.

Alton Towers:  At least one free Scarefest maze.

Oakwood:  Fireworks, diving show, live stage performers.

Merlin Premium Annual Pass: £199

BPB Annual pass: £189.60

Merlin Standard Pass:(With restrictions granted) £159

Merlins offering looks much better value to me..

Cant really comment on Oakwood as have not been in years.

Merlin Premium Annual Pass: £199

BPB Annual pass: £189.60

Merlin Standard Pass:(With restrictions granted) £159

Merlins offering looks much better value to me..

It might look like that, but nobody pays full price for a BPB season pass.  They are on offer for £89 in December, January and February most years as they are valid for a park season, therefore you have to buy them at the beginning.

It seems a strange pricing structure, but I can only guess that they don't want people to buy them and not get a full year.

It might look like that, but nobody pays full price for a BPB season pass.  They are on offer for £89 in December, January and February most years as they are valid for a park season, therefore you have to buy them at the beginning.

It seems a strange pricing structure, but I can only guess that they don't want people to buy them and not get a full year.

To be fair Merlin do similar deals around that time too, I know merlin are not perfect but IMO their annual passes do represent very good value, even if the Standard does have paid extras.