Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

Are the actors and stuff in this video actually going to be in the mazes this year... didnt really think they fit into any maze... Or was it just made up. As it wasn't a official vid from Thorpe.

Not to sure about the actors but I'm pretty sure it is official! 

I think the point is that the two main guys in the video are meant to be 'real people'. The security guard person may or may not be one of Thorpe's actors, but I doubt it.

It's clearly a video that the park fully endorsed and supported though. So in that respect, it's official. Great piece of clever marketing though.

Maximise Your Day

Come to THORPE PARK Resort on 17th, 18th and 19th October over our Fright Nights weekend to trial our new Reserve N’ Ride virtual queuing system. It’s a new FREE system for guests wishing to beat the queues for our five hair-raising mazes; The Blair Witch Project, My Bloody Valentine, The Cabin in The Woods, SAW Alive and Studio 13. It’s easy to use and saves you bags of time to enjoy more scares in our Resort. 

Trial Dates 2014

17th, 18th, 19th October  

Maximise Your Day

Come to THORPE PARK Resort on 17th, 18th and 19th October over our Fright Nights weekend to trial our new Reserve N’ Ride virtual queuing system. It’s a new FREE system for guests wishing to beat the queues for our five hair-raising mazes; The Blair Witch Project, My Bloody Valentine, The Cabin in The Woods, SAW Alive and Studio 13. It’s easy to use and saves you bags of time to enjoy more scares in our Resort.

Trial Dates 2014

17th, 18th, 19th October

I can see it working well for the mazes but I wouldn't want to be there to test it... Glad I'm going on the 12th... phew. Where is this from?

Great, well that's my friday visit and second sunday visit ruined...

Last year the mazes didn't have queues after 7pm on sunday so it's not needed!

Not impressed with this.  There'd better be a normal queue still open.

It's annoying, but you're visiting the event more than once. A lot of people, like myself, can only visit once due to work commitments, so count yourself lucky! You've still got other days to enjoy the event.

I almost died a bit inside when I seen the date 17th :(

It was great when I went for the first few hours on a day this year as not many people knew about it and they were queueing and the system didn't work properly and had an instant ride now on every ride so just kept going, but then got really inaccurate and annoying by the afternoon!

Sorry for double post...

No smartphone?

Don't worry, you'll still be able to join the queue for the mazes

Taken from the website... So, no card version this time, and there will be a normal queue available as well - and apparently fast tracks will have to be bought through the app?

Having fastrack through the app in theory will help as the system will be aware of the amount of people in the normal virtual queue and fastrack queues and be able to estimate queues better.

Glad they are trying it on mazes - can see it working quite well if people understand it.

If you don't have a smartphone you'll get one of those plastic cards again just like with the coasters. It'll be no different other than it's on the mazes not the coasters and the coasters will be able to absorb the apparent millions of people who will be waiting for the mazes on R'n'R.

I think if there is no standby queue in place it will work well! If the maze is walk on it will still be walk on on R'n'R, just "ride right now" instead of being given a waiting time. I'd much rather be able to queue 2 hours for a maze virtually and go on some rides rather than being stuck in a cattle pen of boredom waiting for a maze.

The feedback from the users of R'n'R was hugely successful, it allowed people to go one many things. It won't cause the maze queues to increase as long as the standby queue is removed so the throughput minus fastrack will all go to R'n'R. It won't ruin your day, if the park is quiet the mazes will still be quiet. It's a clever system that adjusts to ride shut downs very quickly and adjusts the wait times well. It works, just give it a chance. Maybe on that Sunday you'll be able to go on all the mazes and coasters as you'll only be queuing for 5 things in reality instead of 10. It's the moaning about lack of standby queue that causes R'n'R to mess up. Disney have been trialling a similar thing on Soarin where you join a virtual queue and return back at a certain time. If all the slots had gone that's it you couldn't ride, no standby queue. Thorpe just need to stick to their guns and go all out with just R'n'R and Fastrack in operation, no standby queue where you'll join going "oh this looks short" but still queue 2 hours. Use the system that's there, if you choose not to use it for some bizarre reason and do end up waiting forever in standby it's your own fault, you had the choice.

Edit: hopefully they choose to bring back the plastic cards (didn't read up sorry)

There is so many things I could point out that are wrong with that statement however RnR on just the mazes will probably work. The mazes have a low throughput for the people in the queues to be reduced with little overall effect.  but the impression I get form the site is that there is no card system making any person who doesn't have a smart phone have a bad day. There is still many people with no smartphone so to abandon that part is disappointing. 

With a smartphone:

1. When you arrive at the Resort, connect to FREE Wifi by registering for ‘The Cloud’ on your smartphone. Go online and register at www.reservenride.com

2. Select your favourite maze and book your place in the virtual queue. Then it’s time for you to enjoy the rest of the Fright Nights rather than waiting in a standard queue.

3. Go to the maze at your allocated time and scan your smartphone.

4. Face the fear, and then reserve your next maze! 

No smartphone?

Don't worry, you'll still be able to join the queue for the mazes.

Bear in mind that the final goal of Reserve n Ride is for it to be on EVERY ride (or at least, major attractions in addition to the coasters), is where the system will fall down...

S'all well and good being able to book a timeslot on one thing, but then what do you do in the future in this queueless utopia Thorpe are trying to acheive? Everyone else will be going to ride the same limited number of attractions that aren't on the reserve list whilst they wait...

Imagine if over Fright Nights all the mazes AND coasters were on the system... So that 2 hour wait for Cabin in the Woods is limited to what? A few flats? Where will everyone else be? The flats as well... So what else can you do at Thorpe, given you can't queue up for another maze or coaster in that time?

It's such a flawed system when you look at what they want the final aim to be...

Bear in mind that the final goal of Reserve n Ride is for it to be on EVERY ride (or at least, major attractions in addition to the coasters), is where the system will fall down...

S'all well and good being able to book a timeslot on one thing, but then what do you do in the future in this queueless utopia Thorpe are trying to acheive? Everyone else will be going to ride the same limited number of attractions that aren't on the reserve list whilst they wait...

Imagine if over Fright Nights all the mazes AND coasters were on the system... So that 2 hour wait for Cabin in the Woods is limited to what? A few flats? Where will everyone else be? The flats as well... So what else can you do at Thorpe, given you can't queue up for another maze or coaster in that time?

It's such a flawed system when you look at what they want the final aim to be...

Totally agree. Thorpe hasn't got enough things to do with the reserve and ride system in place. Flat rides like you say would be stupid queue times and not worth it and so would water rides most likely. If thorpe in my opinion want to implement RnR fully they need more rides or at least shows or something! So glad I'm going this weekend... no hassle just normal queue what I don't mind