Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/10668-return-of-reserve-n-ride/?fromsearch=1

R&R is virtual queuing vua a smart phone, timed allocation for return to ride (or enter maze), sometimes run alongside a standby queue, sometimes with no standby queue.

Most people on some level think it's a good idea, but what they are trying to do with it is wrong. I wouldn't say it's universally hated though. Wort a read...

Sooooo yeah yesterday was ridiculous for mazes, weren't too bad apart from the bloody long stealth break down. I think what most annoyed me is that I was in the mbv queue for 2 and a half hour because they were just piling fasttrack in, which was annoying, citw for fasttrack was the worst though, the FT queueline was coming out of the start of the FT queueline, luckily we were one of the first on for S13 although it didn't amount to much for me. My highlights were riding Colossus, Saw, Swarm and Stealth in the dark as the rides I had on them were epic, I don't rate Saw at all highly but I had fun on it at night plus the fire effect went off so that made the drop special, overall it was a good day but the maze fasttrack which completely sold out by 6:50pm when I checked was a lot left to be desired, but I had a good day that was the main thing.

Also I only got on the 3 mazes I named as Blair was on 3 hours when it opened and Saw seemed to break down a lot so didn't risk it. I still think cabin is the best with S13 my least favourite I feel.

Was there yesterday, had backstage tours of My Bloody Valentine, Cabin In The Woods & Studio 13! Its a shame that some of the props in studio 13 mainly dolls are too low lit so you cant see them when the maze is in operation. I was disappointed on the amount of actors working last night because there seemed to be very few in all mazes and none in the queue lines what so ever! MBV shut down at one point and paramedics went in no idea what actually happened but shortly re opened. I think Blair witch got me the most with jump scares and the new soundtrack playing is okay (I cant judge as didn't do it last year). Studio 13 actors were lively considering I had one of them put me in a corner and out an axe to my throat and have another one join in until they told me to run to catch up with my group then be chased out at the end. MBV had hardly any actors to be honest same with Saw. CITW I was expecting more actors but after doing it as face it alone that made up for it. All I can say is face it alone is worth the money and a must do! Also found the secret exit of CITW that leads to X queue line!

I must have missed when Fastrack were being let in cos everyone one I went to Fastrack were made to wait.

What did get on my goat is how the staff managed to let any VIP pass holder through straight away as soon as they turned up.

At the end of the day it's who can spend the most money. General queuers get the hump with Fastrack and fast track get the hump with VIP.

Will be interested to see how the RnR works. Maybe that's the way forward.

So how many different queues are there now - are main, fastrack, VIP and disabled all separate?

I'd assumed VIP would just get to use the fastrack entrance, but if they're getting higher priority than that is seems that they're the main problem here and not the number of fastrack tickets.

The VIP pass surely ranks as one of the worst ideas Merlin have ever implemented.

Nope VIP just seem to bypass any queue and walk right to the front - to the side of the general and Fastrack queue. Probably the same as disabled queue so 3 seperate queues.

They are defo getting higher priority and they seem to come in big groups of 6 plus last night.

it was becouse at the end the desabled entrence was used as the fast track and that the end of the day was becouse the fasttrack tickets where all used up from that day and it it was studio 13 right ?

So how many different queues are there now - are main, fastrack, VIP and disabled all separate?I'd assumed VIP would just get to use the fastrack entrance, but if they're getting higher priority than that is seems that they're the main problem here and not the number of fastrack tickets.The VIP pass surely ranks as one of the worst ideas Merlin have ever implemented.

The park know the amount of VIP guests coming each day as you book via the VIP site so they should then lower the amount of fastracks on sale according to the amount of VIP's on site, thus balancing it to be fair.

VIP holders also only get one entry to each maze per night, no time specified so unless they all go to the same mazes at the same time it just unlucky. The staff use their discretion with VIP guests, it's not a given that you turn up and then get let straight on although last night when we went on Studio 13 we were put straight to the front, that was the only time for us.

Yesterday there was a high number of VIP's on park because of towertimes fright night event. It was also the first weekend which encouraged more VIP's. As they have paid £400-£500 on a pass merlin treat them as best as they can because if they go and complain they have very little form of compensation for them. So sticking a VIP in an hour queue wont end well so they just let them go straight to the front.

Well I only get to go one time this year and that time wasn't a great experience to be fair. Standing around for 7 hours and the mazes just seemed mediocre compared to last year when they were amazing!

I had said to my friends how amazing it was last year and hyped it up a lot that some of them were disappointed... But I guess there isn't pleasing some people!

Maybe I need to go on a week day rather than weekend next year although I'll have my annual pass so will go on preview night.

Just saw this on FAO for VIP holders

"Fright Night Scare Mazes at THORPE PARK Resort are not included in the V.I.P Merlin Annual Pass"

So how was they going to the front?

It's been updated with a booklet that was posted to all VIP holders at the start of the month, they just haven't updated the website.

When we collect our unlmited wristbands, we also get given a bit of paper with our details on and a list of the mazes, you then go to the maze and a host signs the maze and that means you can't use VIP again for that maze that day.

Well I only get to go one time this year and that time wasn't a great experience to be fair. Standing around for 7 hours and the mazes just seemed mediocre compared to last year when they were amazing!

I had said to my friends how amazing it was last year and hyped it up a lot that some of them were disappointed... But I guess there isn't pleasing some people!

Maybe I need to go on a week day rather than weekend next year although I'll have my annual pass so will go on preview night.

Preview night was pretty brilliant, not many annual pass holders actually turned up as expected. All rides were walk on and mazes were less than 15mins most of the time(with the exception of studio 13 which was 80most of the night but went down to 45 in the last hour). However, the maze queues still moved up slowly due to a large amount of press and celebrities fastracking the queues. Luckily, the actual numbers on park were pretty small meaning you didn't have to wait a long time, this was probably due to the fact it was on a Thursday and the weather was bad. Saturdays are generally one of the worst day to do fright nights, one of the early Fridays or Sundays are good days to go as people clear off early and queues are short towards the end of the night. Saturdays are the busiest days of the event up until half term week.

Visited Thorpe again yesterday and finally managed to face it alone having not had the chance last year.

For £15 to get around 15 minutes of a maze for yourself sounds pretty steep to start with, but it's actually pretty good for what you actually get.

A champagne reception starts thing off (in a fairly classy way) which was a great way to start, plus decent champagne too (which isn't cheap). This followed by signing a form to give conscent to the all the horrors you would face in the maze. One great touch was the presence of the director as his assistant (if anyone has been to fright nights already you'll know who he is).

We were each given a free poncho (to protect our clothing from what awaited us). Each maze group was called one at a time (MBV being first and Studio 13 following). I chose Cabin which was called third (don't think there any doing Saw that night).

We then followed the director to the maze where a staff member was awaiting and soon let everyone in the maze one by one every few minutes. I was somewhere around the middle and was soon called forward to experience the horrors inside.

Despite giving much detail of what happened building up, I won't be going to the Chase of what happened incase I spoil it for anyone who hasn't done it before or expose what it's all about, but will say it's definitely an experience I'd recommend to anyone who likes scares and mazes.

If you're ok with

Being manhandled, Pushed, gagged, yelled at, being ordered to something's, intimate/aggressive male and female actors and having no choice in what happens, this is the experience for you!

If these above are issues for you, I will say (quoted from the director himself) go and have a laugh with mates at Chessington!

Overall good scary, aggressive and slightly intimate experience, would recommend to those up for it and hope to do Studio13 soon.

VIP were going straight to the front on the mazes I was queuing at last night and let in more or less straight away.

Well, I must admit that my Merlin VIP experience was not like this.  I got my bit of scrap paper from Guest Services and proceeded to My Bloody Valentine.  I was directed down the fastrack queue like it says and waited 35 minutes for a medicore maze.

I then went to Studio 13 and again directed down a long fastrack queue which ended up being 45 minutes, which again I found disappointing.

I couldnt be bothered doing the rest waiting in huge fastrack queues, so cut my losses and whored the rides.

So, I do wonder how or why other VIP pass holders managed to get straight on and I wasnt......

Well, I must admit that my Merlin VIP experience was not like this.  I got my bit of scrap paper from Guest Services and proceeded to My Bloody Valentine.  I was directed down the fastrack queue like it says and waited 35 minutes for a medicore maze.

I then went to Studio 13 and again directed down a long fastrack queue which ended up being 45 minutes, which again I found disappointing.

I couldnt be bothered doing the rest waiting in huge fastrack queues, so cut my losses and whored the rides.

So, I do wonder how or why other VIP pass holders managed to get straight on and I wasnt......

It is possible that they complained and were told to go down another queue. 

Although not really for this thread but the VIP pass does create it's own problem, that being the name VIP implies you are treated above anyone else, something that Merlin were aware of but have decided VIP is the correct name and will continue.

If the pass was called "Ultimate Pass" or something like that then there wouldn't be any expectations of the pass holder.

We only got "VIP" access to Studio 13, and that was probably because it was totally oversold fastrack and as has been said before when a VIP guest complains they have no solution in place to remedy to the complaint because the obvious fix would be offer a priority pass, something that some VIP'S have reported as being offered to them which doesn't solve the problem and in turn creates more issues as it then appears the member of staff isn't taking the complaint seriously and just wants to fob you off.

Most if not almost all VIP'S behave within the terms but staff are told to offer spontaneous VIP treatment, it could be we're just seeing that.