Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

Well I've emailed Thorpe about this. What an awful idea on such a busy and big event to use a system which has not been perfected and will actually vastly increase queue times. What about us that actually want to get there early and queue to get on it quickly? Too risky, will actually void any date that plans to use this.

Thorpe aren't going to stop reserve and ride because they received 1 email are they? 

On Facebook I saw nothing but good reviews about reserve and ride, people asking if it's coming back and when. If it turns out to be a massive mess and them getting a load of complaints then I'm sure they'll change something.

I doubt they'll use it every single date so I'm sure you could go on a date where they're not using it.

Well I go a reply to my email, and all I can say is that guy went by a rumour and did not actually know. I don't know how to add an image, so here is what they said.

Many thanks for your enquiry to THORPE PARK Resort!

I’m not sure where you have heard the information about trialling Reserve’n’Ride during FRIGHT NIGHTS, but this will not be happening. R’n’R is still in trial stages and after a successful Summer trial, we will not be running it for the remainder of the season so that we can focus on our FRIGHT NIGHT period.'

Thorpe aren't going to stop reserve and ride because they received 1 email are they? 

On Facebook I saw nothing but good reviews about reserve and ride, people asking if it's coming back and when. If it turns out to be a massive mess and them getting a load of complaints then I'm sure they'll change something.

I doubt they'll use it every single date so I'm sure you could go on a date where they're not using it.

I agree, but fright night is not the time to be a massive mess. Been confirmed it was false anyway

"success" has been used in a funny context there. Saw being at 2 hours 30 minutes with 100% RnR allocation I wouldn't call success. When looking at RnR feedback you must remember that the people reviewing it are comparing that to exaggerated queue times. Most of them will have visited once before and queued 2 hours for swarm once when it was new and in turn they believe that all queues were 2 hours. Trailing it at fright nights should go ahead, if they are so confident it makes the park better why don't they use it when its most needed.

So my bloody valentine, or more like experiment 10 shipping containers have now been placed in the arena, and there was work going on in the arena, presumably placing it, and covering up the experiment 10 blood paint and logos on the shipping containers...

And about the preview event, let's be honest I highly doubt all, if even most who have booked tickets for the preview event will go.. considering the booking process if the tickets can be trolled so easily as they don't ask for your annual pass numbers - and I've booked 3, one for me and my parents, but still don't know if I'm going or not as we haven't made definite arrangements - so even if it's 6000 tickets, and the fact it's a thursday night I reckon about half would actually go.

I'm really looking forward to fright nights this year, I'm especially intrigued by studio 13. On the description it says that guests should not expect a happy ending. I really wish this maze has a well thought out story line and at the end there will be a part in which your heart just drops as you realise something and then you have to run out of the exit. I think it will be really good.

After doing some thinking, I've come up with a list of things I would like to see improved at Fright Nights 2014:

Cabin in The Woods

• Improved ending.  The set was good, but nothing happened!  They need an actor in there (possibly the most horrible looking actor in the whole maze - what about the guy with all the saws through his head?) to chase people out.  Also doors or flaps there so that people queuing can't see people walking running out.
  • Some form of audio in the queueline, even just a quiet ambient soundtrack would do.

My Bloody Valentine

• Consistent lighting, and more of it!  Last year the maze was brilliant when all the lighting was working, however sometimes it was completely pitch black in a lot of places as lighting either wasn't working/was switched off.  This made it a painful experience, but also ruined it as there was some really good theming in there but you couldn't see it!
  • Consistent audio - sometimes the "chase" soundtrack wasn't playing which removed the atmosphere from the maze.  Audio needs to be on all the time!
  • Actors to be more consistent, and use the space well.  I saw loads of hiding places for actors, but they weren't being used!  Instead, the actors chose to stand in completely visible places for most of the maze.
  • The Prodigal Son soundtrack (which was playing around Stealth) needs to play on the speakers outside the maze!  It would create such a good atmosphere, yet last year there was nothing playing out of the speakers!

Saw Alive

• Actors to actually understand the Saw films, rather than just going "Boo!"
  • Rooms that are themed well should be a bit lighter.  Again, what's the point of having theming if you can't see it?!  Maybe some spotlights that just light up the theming would be a good idea.

Blair Witch Project

• Better actors
  • Ambient soundtrack (which I have heard it will have, which is great!)
  • More theming
  • Better use of the shed at the end

General park notes:

• Park wide theming is a must this year!
  • Queueline audio for the mazes is so important.  It creates a build up of tension and atmosphere, whereas last year there was no tension built up beforehand in any of the new mazes as there was no audio playing.

I think that with these changes Thorpe could have a world class event.  Last year was good, but I think they can build on it a lot and hopefully create an amazing event this year.