New For 2015?

OldFarmerDean

Just look at the queues Duel, Hex and Sub Terra get.

Tomb Blaster and Bubbleworks both average at above an hour wait time. They're some of the most popular rides at Chessington!

Just goes to show not all Dark Rides in the UK are unpopular.

I do think its a shame how Hex is so unpopular. A ride that is just that good deserves hour waits. :(

Hex isn't unpopular.. it has a throughput of 750pph and most peak times has a 20min queue.

Families appreciate dark rides, however the throughputs of bubbles and tomb aren't anywhere near as good as Alton's counterparts.. let alone the fact there's way less rides at Chessington.. leads to a higher queue time.

Thorpe does need a dark ride as the park does need to offer something to everyone. The arena is a good location and could easily be brought into Angry Birds land if they wanted to extend the Angry Birds IP into a dark ride. For all dark rides, the biggest downer for most people is the queue. As the perception is if you can see a ride like Stealth or Colossus, you know what you are in for and can judge if the 60 minute queue is worth while. With dark rides you just don't know if you are going to get a good ride or not. Queuing for 60 minutes for X would for some be a complete waste of money.

Rides like Duel, Hex and Bubbleworks with their large throughputs ease people into the ride. Hex is brilliant as it just eats through guests meaning it never has a queue. hex and Bubbleworks do well as the continuous moving on and off system allows guests to come on and off. Tomb Blaster on the otherhand enrages me as the non-continuous loading causes the queue to stall and it just seems forever for that next train to come and the slow speed of checking lap bars. Hex has it right and it works so well. So for any dark ride throughput and speed is very important.

The Laser one at Legoland I only ever went on once and won't go again unless it is walk on due to queuing for over an hour is a very very hot tend to find that there was another queue and such a naff ride at the end of it.

For family coasters, they can easily get a good family coaster at Thorpe which doesn't take up a huge amount of space. A spinner like Spinball, a Th13teen style ride. Just look at the Fish it takes up no room at all. there are plenty of options and some very good flats out there too.

As for Paramount Park, Merlin are right not to do anything, the reason is if it doesn't get started, they have not invested or lost any money. As soon as planning permission is accepted and they start work, Merlin have 2 years to invest in their parks. why spend 50 million now when you may not need to spend it?

Families appreciate dark rides, however the throughputs of bubbles and tomb aren't anywhere near as good as Alton's counterparts.. let alone the fact there's way less rides at Chessington.. leads to a higher queue time.

Alton have just over five more rides than Chessie, and both Tomb's and Bubblework's capacities exceed that of Hex and Sub-Terra...

You're talking to someone who's worked at both the parks. Physical amount of rides does not equal - Oblivion which gets 1000 on a bad day way exceeds vampire. Enterprise throughputs exceed almost every flat at Chessie.

Hex's throughput is 850, Sub Terras is 640/680. Bubbleworks doesn't get over 600, Tomb doesn't get over 600.

You're talking to someone who's worked at both the parks. Physical amount of rides does not equal - Oblivion which gets 1000 on a bad day way exceeds vampire. Enterprise throughputs exceed almost every flat at Chessie.

Hex's throughput is 850, Sub Terras is 640/680. Bubbleworks doesn't get over 600, Tomb doesn't get over 600.

Its funny how that same person said that Tomb gets 800. Which is still out dated. On my last visit, I clocked in a throughput of 800pph on Tomb, when only four trains were operating!

And, I'll be the first to admit, Vampire's operations are awful!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back at previous 'biggish' rides, Storm Surge's plans surfaced in early July 2010 and Slammer's in late July 04 (with Rush's in September 04).  So it does seem unlikely that a flat ride of some description could be coming our way in time for the start of season (judging from previous applications, at least).

Could still see a ride open mid way through the season mind, though I'd prefer that not to happen.

Could still see a ride open mid way through the season mind, though I'd prefer that not to happen.

Well... You do have the Magical Merlin Month of May ;)

I guess it depends on the type of flat ride, if it meets the requirements of the MTDP for the possible 9 flat rides (so is in one of the proposed locations and doesn't exceed the height etc like the dodgems) then they can get planning permission later depending on how complicated the ride itself is to construct etc.

The beach will get done up, possibly something new to go on the half with the FlowRider just make it more modern (or update the Neptune's theme). Not sure if it'll be a medium or small investment year, I'd guess small as I believe (pure guess work this) that Merlin are doing large, small, medium, small, large and so on which would make sense. But is Cbeebies land small or medium? Not sure on that front but either way the next large large year (not coaster, just a large ride investment) should be 2016.

The beach will get done up, possibly something new to go on the half with the FlowRider just make it more modern (or update the Neptune's theme). Not sure if it'll be a medium or small investment year, I'd guess small as I believe (pure guess work this) that Merlin are doing large, small, medium, small, large and so on which would make sense. But is Cbeebies land small or medium? Not sure on that front but either way the next large large year (not coaster, just a large ride investment) should be 2016.

I heard CBeebies cost in the region of £8 million all in all; so definitely the (higher-end) of medium in my eyes!

I don't think there's a specific 'rota' any more for any of the parks, but just that we'll - hopefully - see large investments every 3 or 4 years.

2015 looks like it will be going in the direction of an Ultimatum in refurbishment. No rides announced, nothing seems to be hitting the soil (literally), it looks like it could be a 2015 mega Spring Clean, which is much needed. Updating everything from Queue lines, painting, audio, and TV Screen capabilities. This in my head is actually the ideal solution, I would go as far as to say I would hope to see even a duster out to get the cobwebs out from Loggers Leap, etc. 

It would be nice to see such areas as the Old Safari Ride Queue Line Fencing get replaced with something appeasing on the eye. Canada Creek overhauled. 

Finally it would be nice to see The Dome get a revamp, some of the 'Childish' theming should go, and be replaced more related to the Shark theme, (yes I know its already Neptunes, but needs to be more Thorpe Park Clinical), and create stage capabilities for a professional Ministry of Sound, rather than the temporary stage at the moment.

So all in all, everything needs updating, refreshing and make the park gleam like it once did. 

For 2015 they need to do some serious updating. I never realised how bad Thorpe was until today when I was at cedar point. Everything works, I haven't seen 1 dead tv screen or a missing bit of paint. The tvs have fun games, trivia and weather forecast for the day something I think thorpe could benefit from a lot instead of a load of dead tvs. The fact everything is painted is also a massive improvement and makes the place feel more looked after and professional. However when you focus on rides something like maverick is what the park needs. Intamin blitz is the best coaster type Thorpe could have, of course a giga would be best but thats not going to happen.

Difference between Thorpe and cedar is they don't have a tonne of theming to upkeep unless you want to count the concrete on their car parks. I do agree that Thorpe should have a massive clean and overhaul personally, but given that might not attract crowds: new for 2015: a spring cleaned Thorpe park - it's possible that won't happen.

Thorpe have been focusing more on guest experience and satisfaction lately it seems.  From things like Summer Nights (to get people to stay in the park longer, get better ride counts), the performances from artists and the installation of the Flowrider (to get people to get more out of their day than 'just' being in a theme park) to the smaller things like the changes we saw in the Inferno Shop this season.  You can tell there's more of a push on park to encourage people to stay longer, come back, enjoy their day more, and not just getting people through the gate, if you will.

If Thorpe weren't going to add any new additions (and, say, spend money and doing up rides and areas), then they'd have to create big events.  They'll - hopefully - have people wanting to go back from the past couple of seasons, but they'll still need something to get people wanting to come all the more.  Saying 'We've given our park a spring clean' or 'Our park is like new now' won't get people wanting to come.  Indeed, I'd be put off going, as it suggests that in the past, they haven't cared.  

They'd need a big, new shiny Easter event, a new, epically long summer event, awesome Fright Nights, half term events, etc.  Advertise a good atmosphere on park, along with all the rides they've got, and then people will come.

Of course, there could still be new additions.  After all, we didn't hear about Angry Birds Land until January!

The only way the Spring Clean idea could work is if Thorpe Park made an investment in capital gaining events such as Concerts, Clubbing Nights, and so on...to a higher marketed level that is. 

I.e. promote Late Nights as THE thing for 2015, as well as all sorts of artists performing...if that makes any sense. And to be honest it would be nice to have something like that rather than just a small ride. 

I think if they made the Events new for 2015, it could attract a substantial crowd, especially if they were on far more regularly next year. 

Personally I think Thorpe miss tricks on like Pool Parties, Foam Parties, etc in the summer during the day. 

As well as perhaps a totally new stunt show for the summer, or water jet/speed boat show. I did even think about this a while back, but if Thorpe Park were trying to attract the family market, perhaps an air show during the summer would be an excellent idea...(yes I know certain rides, and heights, etc) but imagine, the views around Thorpe Park to watch an air show would be fantastic, a lake and an island, and this would certainly draw in the family market. Perhaps a little premature here but you could go as far as to get competitions, although the Red Bull Air Race is unlikely, similar smaller competitions would be fantastic. 

Furthermore there are areas that Thorpe Park could have Pleasure Rides on Speed Boats, a cost effective thrill...obviously Health and Safety would have to be assessed. But it does surprise me there is no Ski place, Bannana Boat, Ringo, etc, etc. Not least for Hotel Guests now! (Whether this be a paid extra or included is debatable). Personally it is very frustrating to have a beautiful lake, and it is not capitalised by the park...lets get some Ski competitions, Pleasure Rides and anything else!

However these are all suggestions, that could potentially boost capital and popularity...making the park not just about rides...it would be excellent for the long haul as well, to promote the multi functional Thorpe Park Resort! So there you go that's what I think should be in Thorpe Parks Resort 2015! 

A well presented park would get more people willing to return though...

Parks should be ALL about the presentation/look/state of the park... A run-down looking park with rust, peeling paint and poor design choices won't get people directly coming back to it...

This is what I'm hoping for, but whether they decide this is justice enough to put the budget to working on its presentation is questionable.

Motorised water-sports would be great, bring something pretty unique to a theme park environment and help the place live up to it's 'resort' naming attempt. Pay per go obviously, so that should cover the insurance costs etc. I doubt the neighboring water ski place would be too pleased though! 

Edit: actually, why couldn't they be brought on park as a franchisee? Sure it could be mutually beneficial to them both.

It's a great idea, but I just dunno about how feasible it is.

The option to water ski, etc. would surely have to take place in Abbey Lake / Fleet Lake (the waters either side on the entrance bridge), but then they've got the competition from Thorpe Waterski.  Could they team up with them?  Possibly.  It's well known that Thorpe do like to support the local community as much as possible as well.  I dunno whether that makes the idea more likely (ie - have the two team up) or less likely (let them work independently and don't offer competition).  I'd be surprised if the thought hasn't been discussed before though, so who knows?  

Water-based shows are a nice idea as well, but more difficult to execute.  Again, I expect they'd have to take place on Fleet Lake, but then you've got the problem of Saw Alive being in the way (it's less of a problem for fireworks, since they're in the sky, but for something based on the water, more difficult).  The amount of times they could do it could be restricted as well, which could complicate matters.

I think air shows would probably be less likely given that planes do fly over the park; could cause issues.  Personally, I don't think I'd like to see an air show at Thorpe - just doesn't seem to 'fit'.  

Don't want to come across like I'm picking your post apart th13teen, by the way.  I love the idea of the resort being able to offer water sports to guests - certainly seems like a logical step, and maybe even the Flowrider is testing the water for it (pun totally intended) - but it's not something I'd hold my breath for to be able to happen (another pun there as well ;) ).

See ironically I think the Air Show would be fantastic for a promotional point of view. Just for instance they have the Red Arrows (of course this would never happen, or highly unlikely to happen), but can you imagine the Marketing/Video advertisement Thorpe Park Resort could do as they fly over spraying the Red, White and Blue across the park! (Watch a Silverstone F1 Highlights to see what I mean). However yeah, exactly ride heights are a major problem, however it could be done across the lake once again, at a distance from the actual rides. 

The same to be said for Alton, I always felt a Classics Car gathering would suit the Grounds of Alton Towers...a miniature Goodwood if you will, however those ideas are a little far fetched to be honest with you, even me the omniscient can see that one (Yes guys, I actually am admitting error in my ways). :P 

See ironically I think the Air Show would be fantastic for a promotional point of view. Just for instance they have the Red Arrows (of course this would never happen, or highly unlikely to happen), but can you imagine the Marketing/Video advertisement Thorpe Park Resort could do as they fly over spraying the Red, White and Blue across the park! (Watch a Silverstone F1 Highlights to see what I mean). However yeah, exactly ride heights are a major problem, however it could be done across the lake once again, at a distance from the actual rides. 

The same to be said for Alton, I always felt a Classics Car gathering would suit the Grounds of Alton Towers...a miniature Goodwood if you will, however those ideas are a little far fetched to be honest with you, even me the omniscient can see that one (Yes guys, I actually am admitting error in my ways). :P

Another problem... Other planes? Heathrow is next door. And yes, planes coming into Heathrow are still very high, but it would never happen.