New For 2015?

OldFarmerDean

And then, of course, to pull that off, what we call a good, topspin, you'll need:

An interactive queue line

An indoor queue line

A well managed queue line

An Interesting queue line

A plotful queue line. 

A short, queue line. 

A huge shell to cover half the ride in 'theming'

A customised soundtrack

Lots of effects for an 'immersive' experience

Characters portrayed throughout the journey through the queue line and ride experience

Interlocking themes

Good maintenance

Oh wait, we're talking about thorpe. The only thing they could do there is the 9th one, and it'd only work every 2 cycles.

So so so bored of Thorpe-bashing like this.  It's needless and (in many of those cases) incorrect.  

Also, if you can point me in the direction of a park that will create a "plotful" queue line with character portrayal throughout the entire experience, whilst keeping the queue line itself short and interactive, for a topspin - a ride notoriously known to be a filler attraction which is mainly for spectators - then I'd love to see it...

But when a park fails to maintain even the simplest effects on their current rides, is there any wonder why they get people saying negative things about them?

There's no point sugar coating things, if the park is failing in something then that's a fact that people are going to have to face.

Whilst it's true that things like Swarm's water jets don't run all the time (which I agree is not good and a shame), what's that got to do with things like theming on rides, original audio, queue lines, etc.?

I was referring to Talocan, Josh.

The ride's queue was 10 minutes, the plot is that you have been absorbed by the God Tlalocan, and are waiting for your fate. (Tlalocan is the God, or city of those who died via drowning or lightning, which relates with the effects) The ride is based I believe in an interrupted building that uncovers and ancient temple like structure. The mayan/aztec theme also relates to the surrounding mexican area. The ride is both appealing with story from the entrance to the exit, and during ride, aswell as being a great show for spectators. It covers pretty much everything you could want from a flat. 

Pretty much none of the flats at thorpe have a well intertwined and fitting theme in them. A couple of them have some logo's, colours, and audio slapped on 'em and they're rated good to go. 

A good ride, in my opinion, needs to be more then just cattle pen queuing, jumping on a ride, and wondering off. It needs to be an immersive, dramatic experience, that you're stuck in the middle of from the entrance of the queue to the end, and leaves you begging to go again. 

You get that from some thrills at thorpe, but the theming, at least for flats, is quite poor across the park.

Talocan's 'plot' (assuming one actually exists) is barely explained in the queue... It's extremely loose and whilst does have something to do with an angry god, there is no explanation for it...

As an example of how badly such a plot is used, why is the batching point in a wine cellar? Questions asked, very few answered...

Ride experience on one side is fantastic though, fortunately I've never had to go on the backwards bit...

Also the queue is always FILLED with people watching it with no interest in riding, that's one of the most annoying things about it...

Fortunately the only times I've visited Phantasia have been mid term days in Germany, so the park has always been empty.

Also, Sure, there are a few questions asked, less answered, but it doesn't take much to join the dots.

Anyway, 

What's happening about the whole brands thing?

I mean I saw Ricky's Comment, but so is Burger King, KFC and Pizza Hut staying, or what is moving..?

I'm told that KFC and Burger king managed to renew their contract. Essentially if I'm understanding it correctly, Merlin were demanding 50p for every £1 profit made, whereas the Tussaud's era contract was only 10p per £1, which caused Pizza Hut to retaliate, and when they did Merlin told them where to shove it. I guess KFC and BK just decided to foot the cost.

I'm told that KFC and Burger king managed to renew their contract. Essentially if I'm understanding it correctly, Merlin were demanding 50p for every £1 profit made, whereas the Tussaud's era contract was only 10p per £1, which caused Pizza Hut to retaliate, and when they did Merlin told them where to shove it. I guess KFC and BK just decided to foot the cost.

Sums up Merlin to a tee then.  Money grabbing greedy b*******s.

Sums up Merlin to a tee then.  Money grabbing greedy b*******s.

To be fair, with things like that, they may as well get as much money from the outside firms as possible, or just run it themselves with their own in-house versions.  

Indeed, one could argue that them pushing the outside brands for all they can is a good thing, as it leads to Merlin running their own outlets, which can be better value and quality than outside brands...

From all the stuff that's been said before it sounds like Burger King and KFC signed a further 10 year contract in 2007 before Merlin took over which mean those two are still running under the terms set by Tussauds (I guess that's how it works as Merlin wouldn't just be able to kick them out or change their contract conditions). Pizza Huts contract just ran out earlier and Merlin probably didn't even negotiate terms for them to stay as they are all for in house. Why would Pizza Hut want to leave, it's supposedly and unsurprisingly the most profitable one in Europe. Even if Merlin took half of that I'd be surprised if Pizza Hut wanted to leave. Always an interesting conversation.

And yes, I'm sure the exciting announcement was the discounted VIP packages.

From the way I was told, Merlin were originally all up for keeping them on in the first place, but what you're saying would actually make a lot of sense, because Pizza Hut weren't in the greatest financial shape back in 2007, and probably just plain couldn't afford to run at those costs. Whereas now Pizza Hut have the money, Merlin just plain aren't interested anymore. My understanding is that Pizza Hut even offered to refurbish and re landscape the surrounding area too. 

As for Merlin owned outlets, Pizza Pasta buffet is good enough, but I feel like they missed to opportunity to add another Full service restaurant, which they're really lacking in. They have a good enough variety, but its all fast food. Especially considering now Fright Nights is carrying the whole seasons success on its shoulders, they need a place for people to go on the longer days in the season that isn't all rush rush rush.

Bar 360 is actually really good quality food and is as good as a local restaurant I think. 

It's just a bit disjointed from the areas you'll likely be in the park during the day, and humans being humans will go for the easiest option to get to, which is normally the closest one. Replacing one of the burger kings would be a wise idea.

All merlin equivelents are far worse quality and even with the MAP discount its still more expensive or saves you very little. To see pizza hut go is a massive shame and I'm sure the majority of their current market still being teenages will agree. £11 for lunch is pretty steep espeically if your a student. If given the choice I'm sure many of those would opt for KFC or burger king, until merlin come along and ruin that to.

I find food is the biggest problem at alton due to all the places servering horrible quality food (burger kitchen possibly being the worst meal I have ever had in my life) which unfortuantly leaves our group with just the woodcutters which isnt ideal as its expenisve. I really hope that the other firms dont get taken over as I feel it will negatively impact the park even more.

All merlin equivelents are far worse quality and even with the MAP discount its still more expensive or saves you very little. To see pizza hut go is a massive shame and I'm sure the majority of their current market still being teenages will agree. £11 for lunch is pretty steep espeically if your a student. If given the choice I'm sure many of those would opt for KFC or burger king, until merlin come along and ruin that to.

Completely disagree. Aside from the Burger Kitchen (and even then, the chicken burger is fine), the Merlin stuff is fit for purpose and pretty affordable. Especially when you compare with Europe where it can be double the price for meals with smaller portions. 

There are very few parks with the same level of quality and level of offerings that the Merlin parks do provide...

I'd rather have a Merlin quick service restaurant than a Disney one... But whilst the full service restaurants at Disney are amazing, they are also stupidly expensive... It's that tricky balance that very few parks actually can get right...

Had a Burger from Legoland on Fireworks night and I was actually surprised by it being edible... I hated Burger Kitchen on my first visit, but I never tended to visit BK or Pizza Hut cos lack of discounts...

To avoid the chains becuase of the lack of discounts seems stupid. The discounts save you nothing, for example pizza pasta compared to pizzahut saves you 30p. The difference in qaulity for that 30p is well worth the price. Its a bad move to change to all home brand. They are trying to improve guest experince and yet anyone who eats at burger kitchen will feel riped off.

To avoid the chains becuase of the lack of discounts seems stupid. The discounts save you nothing, for example pizza pasta compared to pizzahut saves you 30p. The difference in qaulity for that 30p is well worth the price. Its a bad move to change to all home brand. They are trying to improve guest experince and yet anyone who eats at burger kitchen will feel riped off.

Its hardly unusual for theme parks to only offer their own brands of food. Maybe in your opinion but you can talk for the millions of guests..

Given that at Thorpe you could eat at Bar 360 or Ranger BBQ for a lot cheaper than Pizza Hut (which was always packed solid in the first place) isn't stupidity, but sensible...

And 30p saving from 20% discount? Dunno what maths you're using there, but if we say that it costs £10 for the buffet, then with the MAP discount of 20% that's £2 off... So you're basing it off the separate pricing structures (Pizza Hut was £11 last year right? And the others of a similar pricing?) which will be made redundant once the change comes into place...

Is it a bad move to change to all in house brand? Doesn't do many other parks that use all internal food much harm... And clearly people don't have too much issue with what's being made available at the parks, otherwise we'd see tonnes of people with picnics and brought in food instead (like people used to for Drayton Manor)...

Also, the amount of spelling mistakes makes me want TPM to do a Secret Santa just so someone can give you a dictionary or spell-checker...