New For 2015?

OldFarmerDean

How about we move away from cheap flat rides that are just annoying with stupid lights and look out of place in a theme park and think of themed experiences! Afterall, how many flat rides has Merlin bought that are funfair styled (ignore the Dodgems...)? 

Thorpe has a fine selection of flats and I really hope that when a few go they aren't replaced by funfair rubbish, by all means get a solid flat ride from Huss or something like AirRace but nothing that comes from a fair with flashing lights all over it! I want something that can be themed, given a whole experience around it like Sub Terra around a drop tower. Fun fair rides aren't designed for theme park use, simple as.

Dark rides though...

I do think that themeing, in my case, does make the ride 10 times better. The Fungle Safari site is the perfect place to put a potential Nemesis Inferno- Sub Terra ride, though I doubt it would be a drop tower as Thorpe already have one. All I would like to see is good themeing and extension on the backstory, maybe giving Mount Inferno some relation to Nemesis.

I didn't say replace vortex, I just wondered if it could be modified to make it better. The ride is relatively boring especially if you get the bottom side, if the ride did a full 360degrees then it would actually be exciting whatever part of the ride you are on(not like dragons claw, the ride would remain the same but would just swing all the way over).

you mean do a loop? I've done dragon claw at Adventure Island and never wish to experience anything like that again. If you guys ask for that I suggest you give it a little try first.

I've done many funfair rides and I love them. My favourite flat ride I've ever been on has been slammer at thorpe park but things like rock rage and superstar are some of my favourites aswell.

Incase you didn't know what superstar is, it's this: it's kind of like the dragons claw and I absolutely love it :)

With the Fungle site, the trees behind the service road and before Monk's Walk are also coming down. Now while I don't think they can block the service road without reducing the parks overall capacity (this is why at Fireworks the capacity is limited due to the bridge not in use so only one fire escape route back in 2011) it could be moved back or be put in a tunnel for a dark ride building to go over it.

Fungle site with the back bit of the service road right up to Inferno (basically BWP) is a decent size for a dark ride building! Planning wise you're more likely to get a building built on that site as 1: it's more difficult to see outside the park than if it were a tall building in the Arena and 2: it's been earmarked for development albeit a flat ride but the Arena hasn't been noted for any sort of development. A dark ride would tuck in nicely on the Fungle site, be well hidden for the building needed whereas in the Arena it'd be awfully noticeable. Just seems more logical and with trees being cut more likely. Cutting trees this late means it won't be happening next year whatever is going on on that site. And with the park pushing R'n'R more and talks of a festival on the survey and the success of Thorpe Resort Live I think The Arena will see a bit of work this winter and be used once again next year.

The potential dark ride is currently designated for the arena. Also some of those trees cant be removed as they are there to hide the park from the other side of the lake. Also if you look on the mtdp it shows that the land behind the old railway tracks they dont own. So achiving planning permission for a large building there would be hard.

You would do very well not to talk about rumours you hear as fact like this, whether or not you believe them. It is not helpful, causes confusion and eventually makes people look stupid. Until planning happens nothing is 'designated' to anywhere.

What is strange is for work like this to start with no planning submitted first. Even if the trees are not subject to preservation orders I can't think of a time Thorpe have done anything of any note without us seeing plans submitted first, to put effort like this in on speculation that planning would be granted later seems a bit of a risk.

For that reason I would guess that this is site clearance only and not in preparation for anything permanent. Why they would do that I don't know, something temporary for fright nights maybe, or simply something like some diseased trees they're trying to stop spreading. My guess, which I have completely pulled out if my arse, is Blair Witch camping, or whatever it is themed to. But without seeing any planning first I think people are jumping waaaaay ahaead to unrealistic conclusions about what this small work on a small sight means.

What is strange is for work like this to start with no planning submitted first. Even if the trees are not subject to preservation orders I can't think of a time Thorpe have done anything of any note without us seeing plans submitted first, to put effort like this in on speculation that planning would be granted later seems a bit of a risk.

I hate adding fuel to the fire, but...

A lot of the previous investments haven't required many (if any) trees to be taken down.  ABL, Storm Surge, Stealth and Rush all replaced rides/sideshows that were in operation, so the work on those areas would naturally be left as late as possible.  Swarm, Saw, Saw Alive and Flying Fish were all on infilled land, and didn't need any trees to be taken down.  So really, the last time Thorpe had to clear a tree-area for a ride was for Slammer, and that started quite early (which I guess was more for flattening out land?).  

All I'm trying to say is in the past, there's been little need for Thorpe to start work like this for a new attraction.  So, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that this removal is for a permanent future development.  What that development is and when it arrives, however, is sheer speculation and rumours, and there's nothing concrete we can say about that.

I get what you are saying, but what do they have to gain by doing the work now in any situation? They prefer doing work like this when the park is closed as it is just logistically easier and they can make a mess. When the clearance is finished they still can't build anything until planning is approved, so the site will just sit there for the couple of month that it takes from posting. It isn't giving them the chance to get ahead on anything and is a small site that wouldn't take long to clear when they do need to get going.

The effort now does not make sense to me unless they want the space now, which would have to be something small and temporary that doesn't require planning. Hello fright nights! This is all just guess work on my part.

That's a fair point; unless it's going to take a long time to clear (for reasons we may not know), though that seems unlikely.  The more I think about it, the more it would be a good space for something for Fright Nights; like maybe for the overnight experience or something.

I guess there's nothing stopping it from being used for both Fright Nights and a future development too!

EDIT:

Could there be a way the planning has already gone through but they don't want it public online until a year before to keep it a secret? if that is entirely possible?

This is something I've always wondered.  I'm pretty certain it can't be kept wholly secret, so if someone contacted the council's planning office directly and enquire, then the council would have to allow them access to it.  Also, people within a certain radius would be informed, and usually sent all the details.  But there might be a way for them to ask that it's not put online!

Edited by JoshC.