Angry Birds 4D Experience

Marc

Well I visited Thorpe yesterday, the cinema was okay, but I'm not really it's biggest fan.

To be honest, the 4D cinema was okay. But it was essentially the same 4 effects repeated (chair jerking, water squirting, air blowing, smoke), which got a bit meh in the end (even though a lot of them made me jump as I'm a whuss for jump scares). Also, I didn't appreciate the amount of water that got squirted in your face-it was too much I feel. But overall it was and okay storyline for children I guess, just thought the effects were repetitive and the chair jerking, water squirting and air blowing just got a bit annoying and samey, the 'smoke' effect wasn't that noticeable or immersive either, it only stayed near the ceiling where it was released from. The bubbles effect seemed as though it was just chucked in to entertain the kids, but does tie in with the film.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to THORPE today, even at the age of 23 I felt I had to try this. Thought it was really good, some of the effects are overused but it was fun and made me jump a few times, especially the bit with the bees...

I thought the story was pretty decent, there were a few bits that made me chuckle, not sure if I should have.

Either way, a great addition to the park and a better way to kill time than riding those awful Rapids.

• 2 weeks later...

It was good. Overused effects, but still great...however I can only see one direction this will be going...a pointless '4D' Experience with the '4D' dwindling to non existence within 2 years, by which time most seats won't work. They better keep it to its current standard. 

• 2 weeks later...

my dad said it was the best one he's done... better than when we went florida!

I still find the repetitive and too powerful jolting un-enjoyable... fair enough vibration and the odd full jolting back, but I'm literally sitting out the seat bracing myself for them as they hurt my stomach and head - shame really as it would probably be the best and my favourite 4d cinema attraction  B)

I don't know if this has been reported before, but reading the July issue of Park World, Thorpe got the whole of Angry Birds Land for less than £1m...

By being creative with what it's already got, Merlin has created a new "land" for less than £1 million - but thanks to the power of the Angry Birds IP it's likely to punch above its weight.

Seems pretty good value for £1m given that Alton spent 8 times that on CBeebies Land - although granted, CBeebies was a much bigger effort.

To be honest I find angry birds land a bit of a mess. Seeing as thorpe didn't have distinct lands anyway it just seems a bit like it's placed in the middle of no where. The themeing is OK for what they are advertising but does not fit in with the surroundings of amity cove and the like. I would have personally much prefered that the Dodgems and a new 4d experience created by thorpe with its own themeing were placed into the park. Anyway, it's there now and I only hope that thorpe can expand from it somehow considering amity cove has been broken into two anyway.

For any future rides or shows/attractions in the park I would really like the park to stay away from IPs; they already have angry birds and saw and are using LIONSGATE at fright night. I hope thorpe can actually start to create rides out of their own themeing as the themeing tends to turn out much better when it's thorpe's own brand as the IPs have a high level of themeing to them. Saws theme was never replicated by the ride and it's probably the same with the mazes at fright nights. I hope thorpe can start to create their own brands into the park as it would be nice to see some original themes. I hope thorpe continue to expand the way it has been doing since 1996 as the park has been investing every year and at this rate the park can have amazing possibilities to it.

Given that the plans valued the project at £2.3 million, yet we got everything that was including in the plans, it's a bit weird (unless there was some sorta crossover whereby the plans were changed before submitted, but the value of the project wasn't?).

To be honest, for under £1m, I think the cinema experience alone is worth it.  Shame though; double the budget could have seen some very nice things!

To be honest I find angry birds land a bit of a mess. Seeing as thorpe didn't have distinct lands anyway it just seems a bit like it's placed in the middle of no where. The themeing is OK for what they are advertising but does not fit in with the surroundings of amity cove and the like. I would have personally much prefered that the Dodgems and a new 4d experience created by thorpe with its own themeing were placed into the park. Anyway, it's there now and I only hope that thorpe can expand from it somehow considering amity cove has been broken into two anyway.

For any future rides or shows/attractions in the park I would really like the park to stay away from IPs; they already have angry birds and saw and are using LIONSGATE at fright night. I hope thorpe can actually start to create rides out of their own themeing as the themeing tends to turn out much better when it's thorpe's own brand as the IPs have a high level of themeing to them. Saws theme was never replicated by the ride and it's probably the same with the mazes at fright nights. I hope thorpe can start to create their own brands into the park as it would be nice to see some original themes. I hope thorpe continue to expand the way it has been doing since 1996 as the park has been investing every year and at this rate the park can have amazing possibilities to it.

Amity Cove was ruined long before Angry Birds came in. If anything, IP's will become more and more prominent especially at Thorpe where The Swarm's percieved failure by the park, means an IP will be more likely.

• 1 month later...

I noticed on my visit a few days that there's a model of Red Bird at the back of the theatre (left hand side as you look to the back), but haven't noticed it before..  Have I just been really unobservant and it's always been there or is that a newer thing?

Either way, bit of a shame it's not in a more obvious space!

Yup it has always been there, I noticed it the first time I went on. Thought the same as you though, it's pretty pointless having it at the back of a cinema where most people are unlikely to see it. It should be outside somewhere in front of the cinema maybe?

Well I think it provides some sort of effect of Red being in multiple locations at once, as he's on a screen the whole 20 minutes - and then again in the movie, it's Red who's practically the star of the show! Then you turn around to leave after the movie and notice Red at the back of the cinema and you go "How the heck did he end up there???" :P

I noticed on my visit a few days that there's a model of Red Bird at the back of the theatre (left hand side as you look to the back), but haven't noticed it before..  Have I just been really unobservant and it's always been there or is that a newer thing?

Either way, bit of a shame it's not in a more obvious space!

That is literally exactly the same as me... having done it two or three times before, and only noticed it on my visit last week!

Noticed from a Thorpe staff video that the building is very typically... devoid of theming.

What happened to all the sexy pirate theming? why can't they make it look nice inside?

So when Angry Birds is finished it'll cost nothing to redo the building to suit the next entrant, bit like Ice Age 4D...

• 4 weeks later...

That's not great... Just like the fact slammer wasn't open due to a lack of staff!! It was almost impossible to get a show when it was every 20 mins without standing outside for ages, but now it's even worse seeing as it will be very difficult to get a show time without having to wait prolonged amounts of time.